• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
I mentioned other factors, I didn't say Wigans was automatically attracted to all dopers ever. Lance had glamour.

He claimed that was the reason. Again, it hardly explains the active defense as opposed to the silence the majority embraced.

No different to Millar, who you'll find many people here don't trust at all.
Roche however, as far as we know, hadn't heard the whole story from eye witnesses.

Roche had a pop at Landis after his comments in an interviewwith Vincent Hogan. He knew Floyd was telling the truth like the rest of us and changed his tune as well in the aftermath of the USADA report. He was also calling Lance a great champion, this that and the other with praise which Kimmage criticised him for back then.

You're failing to take into account two key factors that have been brought up time and time again, including a couple of posts above: 1) it's not defend LA vs speak out against LA, there's also the option of staying silent, and 2) Wiggins knew the whole story even before Landis sent his email.

I'm getting accused of all sorts now. I haven't defended Wiggins once in his defence of Lance. Even if he was scared of Lance's influence I said it still wasn't acceptable he stood up publicly for him. I made a differentiation with Horner and it's getting lost in another discussion.

gooner said:
As far as I'm aware Lance was the only one of note he defended(I agree he deserves criticism for it).

In the case of your second point. I haven't failed to take that into account either. The bolded:

gooner said:
True. I won't defend Wiggins and his closeness with Lance on his return. He obviously made the mistake in this instance and I can't explain his position of defending him publicly even with all the info he knew from his time at Garmin while taking a different position hitting out at others like Contador, Vino, Rasmussen and Di Luca . That's why I disagree with BroDeal's point that he is a defender of all dopers.

My guess is through this closeness he compromised himself too much and he did touch on this saying he didn't speak out because of the influence Lance held at the time. That still doesn't make it any better of course. I think from a distance with Lance out of the sport, he felt more comfortable to speak out

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Wow. You guys will cling to any excuse. Have you ever considered a career in the Iraqi Information Ministry?

"You guys". Who are you putting me in a group with? I couldn't give a toss about Wiggins and Sky. I'm not emotionally invested in this. I like cycling but this isn't even my favourite sport by a long stretch. I see this from no personal vindication or hatred point of view where I want to be proved right that Wiggins/Sky are doping. The same can't be said for you and a small number of select posters around here.

This coming from the guy who said he's happy with Horner's doping to stick it to the Brits. LOL.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hitch, it's from Wiggins's book. More context to it.

“By 2009 it had become clear that many of the top guys weren't clean at the time Lance was at his best – a lot of the guys who finished second to him were subsequently caught, and quite a few of those who finished third, fourth or fifth – but when he came back to the sport I quite liked him,” Wiggins explained. “He seemed much more relaxed, he seemed to be returning for reasons other than winning. He was quite gracious in defeat in some of those races; he was quite respectful, encouraging of what I was trying to do. I thought whatever had happened in the past had happened; it hadn't affected me in those years.”

“At the time I stuck to my line that Lance's return was a good thing for the sport,” the Briton admitted. “Without Lance's achievement in the Tour, Livestrong, his cancer charity, wouldn't have such a high profile and perhaps wouldn't be able to do the work it does. Without Lance, cycling mightn't be as popular – he made it cool in a way…

“I didn't know, of course, that eight or nine months down the line I was going to go toe-to-toe with him for a place on the podium in the Tour de France. With hindsight, I'm glad I never criticised him. I had to go and race with the guy and everyone around him. I know what Lance is like if you make an enemy of him. We've seen it in the past. He could have made my life very difficult.”

gooner said:
"You guys". Who are you putting me in a group with? I couldn't give a toss about Wiggins and Sky. I'm not emotionally invested in this. I like cycling but this isn't even my favourite sport by a long stretch. I see this from no personal vindication or hatred point of view where I want to be proved right that Wiggins/Sky are doping. The same can't be said for you and a small number of select posters around here.

This coming from the guy who said he's happy with Horner's doping to stick it to the Brits. LOL.

Yeah, not a Wiggins fan. Don't even like cycling. You just spend hours a day defending him. :rolleyes: I think we heard a similar line from every other Armstrong fanboy from 2010 onward.

gooner said:
Hitch, it's from Wiggins's book. More context to it.

Wiggins is the biggest doosh cycling has seen in a very, very long time. The guy defines the term fraud. The fact that he gained knighthood is a testament to how worthless that title really is.

The brits considered knighthood for Syria's Assad, if that tells you anything. Other famous winners are Mugabe, Mussolini, and Ceausescu.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Yeah, not a Wiggins fan. Don't even like cycling. You just spend hours a day defending him. :rolleyes: I think we heard a similar line from every other Armstrong fanboy from 2010 onward.

Read BroDeal, read. Did I say I never liked cycling? Many of the guys in the football thread will tell you what my favourite sport is. I spend my hours watching that around the clock. That's where my fanboyism and emotional investment is.;) Check my recent posting history and you will find little mention of Wiggins. I haven't stood up for Wiggins and his defence of Lance once here. Just in your own world and mind do you have that illusion.

I notice you didn't say nothing about about being glad that Horner is doping to stick it to the Brits. That's understandable. I wouldn't address it too if I didn't want my BS exposed.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
darwin553 said:
:D

But seriously, if Horner is no. 15 and was obliterated from the USADA reasoned decision because of a lack of evidence, well you would think that the circumstanial evidence after Vuelta has began to paint a picture that he should have been included.

Rider No. 15 was redacted from released version of Leipheimer's testimony since it had no relevance to the Armstrong case, as recently stated in a quote from USADA. They said there may or may not be ongoing investigations into persons whose names were redacted.

Not "Lack of Evidence" as you claim.

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
To quote Mcenroe, You cannot be serious.

The above is no different to saying something like " I think Contador won all his Tours clean because he says he has never touched drugs".

Since when are pro cyclists taken at their word on clinic matters.

I mean that quote you give is an absolute joke. Unless there is more to it, then it proves to me he is lying because nowhere is he even taking responsibility for what he did, but goes out of his way to make it sound like all he did was not criticise Lance.

No Brad, the issue isnt that you "didn't criticise Lance" the issue is that you defneded lance, praised lance, registered yourself as the chief fanboy of Lance and attacked people who were telling the truth.

And not " eight months before I was going to go toe to toe with him for a place on the podium in the Tour de France". 3 whole ****ing years, all the way up to August 2012.

In fact, isn't the above quote you give the exact same quote that caused even JV to come out on twitter in outrage?

It is an outrageous comment. I never read it in full before, but seeing it now, any doubts that may have crept in from months of inactivity on the wiggins thread, that wiggins doped and is absolute scum have been truly been demolished.

An honest person making an apology, does not pretend they never did the crime in the first place. Thats like rule 1 of life.

We have Wiggins on record, sinning, and yet his mea culpa is to sit there and pretend that his only crime was not speaking out.

"Betsy, I never called you fat". Brad learned from the best.

No sitting on the fence! That's a knight of the realm you're talking about. Not much due diligence before that award me thinks.

I just thought Wiggums was a bit thick but I guess when you think about it his double standards are outrageous.

Kwality post.

Race Radio said:
Bend Newspaper not too kind to their local guy

http://www.bendbulletin.com/article/20130919/FREE/309199998/1226

I requested an interview with Horner this week following his momentous win, and he agreed, with a caveat: No questions about doping or about former teammates who have confessed to it. The Bulletin could not agree to such an interview.

that's a Bulletin's problem. If Usada or Uci are good enough to catch him, that's ok.
but I agree with Chris about not letting some newspaper bust my balls.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Wiggins is the biggest doosh cycling has seen in a very, very long time. The guy defines the term fraud. The fact that he gained knighthood is a testament to how worthless that title really is.

The brits considered knighthood for Syria's Assad, if that tells you anything. Other famous winners are Mugabe, Mussolini, and Ceausescu.

It would be good if you knew more about cycling than the British Honours system.

IF that is the case, I suggest you don't go on about something you clearly know nothing about.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
coinneach said:
It would be good if you knew more about cycling than the British Honours system.

IF that is the case, I suggest you don't go on about something you clearly know nothing about.

Its never stopped Moose before, I doubt it will now. He is just rabidly anti-British

May 26, 2010
Visit site
coinneach said:

The British Honours system is really a joke. Lord Archer? Sir Wiggo? Sir Mick Jagger? Even Robert Mugage had a Brit honour! Yeah all these guys deserved honours and these are a few of the dooch bags!!!!!

Benotti69 said:
The British Honours system is really a joke. Lord Archer? Sir Wiggo? Sir Mick Jagger? Even Robert Mugage had a Brit honour! Yeah all these guys deserved honours and these are a few of the dooch bags!!!!!

I totally agree with you: its worse than a joke, its poisonous!
But the point I was making was that Moose was wrong in suggesting those people had Knighthoods
(apart from Wiggins who, by the established "standards", did deserve his: by the same token, Froome doesn't deserve one, yet!)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
coinneach said:
I totally agree with you: its worse than a joke, its poisonous!
But the point I was making was that Moose was wrong in suggesting those people had Knighthoods
(apart from Wiggins who, by the established "standards", did deserve his: by the same token, Froome doesn't deserve one, yet!)

IMO Wiggins doesn't deserve his. He is a doper. Or in another way he joines a long list who are despicable so maybe he does deserve his.:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS