• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
He didn't see anything out of the ordinary because what he saw is what he expected and is what he believes most of the top riders on competing teams were also doing.

ManInFull said:
He didn't see anything out of the ordinary because what he saw is what he expected and is what he believes most of the top riders on competing teams were also doing

hmmm ... if there is one thing USADAs case against Armstrong has taught me it is that there is no level playing field even if 'most of the top riders on competing teams were also doing'. Surely Horner's own experience upon moving from Lotto to Discovery / Astana should dispell such thinking?

So where is Horner named as a user of EPO? Accused by anyone?

Because he doesn't jump up and down screaming he saw people doping, he somehow has no credibility and should be banned from the sport, when he may have kept himself separated from many things and people?

You know quarterbacks and centers don't hang out and go to each others houses for dinner every night with their families right? But they somehow come together to work out a plan and compete and make things work, weekly practice and such. Doesn't mean they know each other's schlong size from showers together, nor care to.

Oh wait, Brunyeel actually tried to stop Horner from riding and competing a good portion of the year on RS...so obviously Horner and Bruyneel are best of buddies and he knows more than he leads on. :rolleyes:

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Chris, as most of you would agree, has always been a likeable fellow. I have met him on several occasions. For what it's worth, he was a great believer in cycling having turned a corner after Rasmussen/men in black summer. He claimed that the peloton had cleaned up and that his improving results were due to this. He claimed if you studied his figures for several years there was no big improvement on his part (I have no idea if this is true or not so open to being told otherwise). Having watched him compete with the best in the world in April-May and then being easily dropped in July by the same guys I always thought he was telling the truth - that he kept steady while others made massive leaps forward just when it mattered.
Something else he told me, which was of interest to me at least, is that he didn't work with any coaches - no links with the likes of Ferarri, Fuentes etc. That in itself would be unusual for a top-level doper as the coach/mentor is normally the key link in the doping chain with USP/Discovery/Radioshack riders.
Maybe he lied to me, maybe he was turned by the money or maybe he really is just the one nice guy who kept himself to himself and ignored all the BS around him.
If guilty, it seems strange to me that the USADA dished up no dirt on him whatsoever or that he hasn't felt the need to confess before someone else does it for him. His team mates who testified did so because they had too, why wasn't Chris compelled to do likewise?
I retain some hope that he told the truth.
That doesn't mean to say I believe him in saying what he is saying now - I'm sure he knew fine well what was going on but chose to ignore it. A Shaccontract that forbids speaking out about it perhaps?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
The other McHoy said:
Chris, as most of you would agree, has always been a likeable fellow. I have met him on several occasions. For what it's worth, he was a great believer in cycling having turned a corner after Rasmussen/men in black summer. He claimed that the peloton had cleaned up and that his improving results were due to this. He claimed if you studied his figures for several years there was no big improvement on his part (I have no idea if this is true or not so open to being told otherwise). Having watched him compete with the best in the world in April-May and then being easily dropped in July by the same guys I always thought he was telling the truth - that he kept steady while others made massive leaps forward just when it mattered.
Something else he told me, which was of interest to me at least, is that he didn't work with any coaches - no links with the likes of Ferarri, Fuentes etc. That in itself would be unusual for a top-level doper as the coach/mentor is normally the key link in the doping chain with USP/Discovery/Radioshack riders.
Maybe he lied to me, maybe he was turned by the money or maybe he really is just the one nice guy who kept himself to himself and ignored all the BS around him.
If guilty, it seems strange to me that the USADA dished up no dirt on him whatsoever or that he hasn't felt the need to confess before someone else does it for him. His team mates who testified did so because they had too, why wasn't Chris compelled to do likewise?
I retain some hope that he told the truth.
That doesn't mean to say I believe him in saying what he is saying now - I'm sure he knew fine well what was going on but chose to ignore it. A Shaccontract that forbids speaking out about it perhaps?
You can say that again.

I believe that after the 7 gold years of JB/LA.. they did the things more restricted.. only between them.

CH arrived at the team in 2008. In this time, I think that each rider did his own program... So it is possible that CH did not see nothing at Astana/RS.

I read in some of the depoiments that some riders are asking for help to doping during the races and JB said that each rider was a pro and each rider would need to do his own thing. I think it was Tom Danielson depoiment...

Ultimately, as cynical as it sounds, I can't imagine any rider who is employed at the top level publicly saying that "yes, there's doping on teams that I rode for"

Unless a big bad ADA comes calling or worse the police, they will deny and hope that they can get away with not mentioning their past.

Edit: I suppose it's better suited to the reactions from the peloton thread, but I am not going to spam it

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
So where is Horner named as a user of EPO? Accused by anyone?

Because he doesn't jump up and down screaming he saw people doping, he somehow has no credibility and should be banned from the sport, when he may have kept himself separated from many things and people?

You know quarterbacks and centers don't hang out and go to each others houses for dinner every night with their families right? But they somehow come together to work out a plan and compete and make things work, weekly practice and such. Doesn't mean they know each other's schlong size from showers together, nor care to.

Oh wait, Brunyeel actually tried to stop Horner from riding and competing a good portion of the year on RS...so obviously Horner and Bruyneel are best of buddies and he knows more than he leads on. :rolleyes:

Horner is pulling an Oliver North. Unless the question is ultra specific he is going to be able to say he saw nothing. If you ask about a certain rider on a certain team Saturn, Mercury or Saunier he is able to say nothing.
This schlong thing is super interesting. I have known guys for years, seen them change in and out of skinsuits,shorts,wetsuits, regular clothes, I feel I know them pretty well if asked about them,but in all the time,being able to ID another guys junk was not on my getting to really know you list.

Bruyneel is like everybody else,trying to win at any cost, that is why he left Horner off of team lists early on. Old man doesn't always equal good results, and given what we do and don't know so far Johan may have left Horner off the roster because he wasn't filling his tank at a team approved station.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Ultimately, as cynical as it sounds, I can't imagine any rider who is employed at the top level publicly saying that "yes, there's doping on teams that I rode for"

Unless a big bad ADA comes calling or worse the police, they will deny and hope that they can get away with not mentioning their past.

Edit: I suppose it's better suited to the reactions from the peloton thread, but I am not going to spam it

yeah but he could have kept his mouth shut like the rest of them.

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Horners a complete sellout

Back in the Saturn and Webcor years ( eraly 2000¨s) he was winning everything in the USA. He was trying like hell to get on USPS and LA simply didn't like him and vetoed any chances he had to join the team. I sort of remember some quotes by Horner dismissing Lance back then and figured Horner would never ever be in LA good graces.
Anyone remember such comments by either LA and CH back then?

Anyway after getting 10th at worlds in 2004 he was trying to negotiate with Pro Euro teams and go back to europe and was complaining to Vaughters ( and maybe even Freddie) how come he wasnt getting the "big Money" offers. I believe he was making something like 100k-125K on saturn and Webcor and after top 10 @ worlds was not getting offers much more than that.
Those guys basically told him he was too old already.
Anyway after LA vetoing his chances on USPS here he is in the Tour of 2010 with Radio shack saying on camera how anyday, anytime and anywhere he would ride for Lance. That LA was the best blah blah blah..
Was pretty pathetic to hear.
kind of like the Never never never quote from Hein.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/horner-says-he-never-saw-doping-on-bruyneel-teams_261673

I have no doubt (caveate | pure speculation).

Last year with the slow payments, etc. and the political (climate) of the time...

That riders on RS were given sweetheart deals, i.e. Talk Sugar.

Horner took the deal and two things happened, he got to ride in the Tour and he put himself in a favorable position for a 2013 contract.

The current BS is simply him assuring and following through on his 'commitment."

$ers & senseless. Dollars win for the family man?

Any other explanation for another 'nice guy' supporting omerta is ludicrous.

All of the pros stating they are shocked and were unaware of the stench, rode in the stench, held their breath and held onto a paycheck.

The sport is and was (1998 to the present) men in spandex diapers riding bikes. WWF. NFL. MLB. etc.

Say the right thing, get paid.

'Play' the 'game.'

It is a shame.

I miss the Lemond years and want them back.

TRENDING THREADS