• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Ricco is saying if Horner can win at 42 then he has the possibility to comeback and win again.

All sarcasm and irony of course.

At least he hasn´t lost his sarcasm. I guess he feels pretty bad like when the Chicken and Ullrich had to watch LA, Valv-Piti and AC riding...
I´d have run mad if i was such a scapegoat. Hope Horner falls as deep as LA, once he is caught.

Can all the SKY conspiracy theorists experts explain to me why they are having such a bad Vuelta? Do they save all the drugs for Froome? what am I missing? Thought this thread was about Horner.

doolols said:
They said on the TV tonight that he only came back from injury a month ago. That's a pretty steep re-training programme to get into this sort of form. For me, it's the age and riding away from some of the best climbers of the era which makes this questionable.

Recovery science is amazing these days. People have been known to suffer from chronic snail disease then come back to ride away from the best climbers and the best timetrialists.

Plus, Horner did some newfangled training in the high mountains of Utah right before the Vuelta. I think it was called "altitude training" or something like that. Too bad other teams have not tried it.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Recovery science is amazing these days. People have been known to suffer from chronic snail disease then come back to ride away from the best climbers and the best timetrialists.

Plus, Horner did some newfangled training in the high mountains of Utah right before the Vuelta. I think it was called "altitude training" or something like that. Too bad other teams have not tried it.

Nah, Michael Creed, the famous doping ignorer, said it's all about motorpacing up climbs because nobody has ever thought of that before, and when he saw it, he knew right away why Sky has so much success and everyone else doesn't.

It always boils down to undiscovered training techniques that have been discovered before. Horner is motorpacing up climbs, nothing else to see here, move along and close the thread.

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm new here and all

Seems if you win a race you have got a motor or are doping.
Who is the best cyclist that has not cheated?

I enjoy Chris because of his smile and enthusiasm and he wins (which is not a crime). Jens has this kind of attitude too. Both these old guys are very refreshing. But I also think Lance was the best cyclist the world has ever seen too, so I'm discredited too.

Why? Simple. I believe controlling cheating it is not up to the riders.

Athletes should do whatever they can to win. Its up to the others to control what they can do.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Zorotheslacker said:
Seems if you win a race you have got a motor or are doping.
Who is the best cyclist that has not cheated?

I enjoy Chris because of his smile and enthusiasm and he wins (which is not a crime). Jens has this kind of attitude too. Both these old guys are very refreshing. But I also think Lance was the best cyclist the world has ever seen too, so I'm discredited too.

Why? Simple. I believe controlling cheating it is not up to the riders.

Athletes should do whatever they can to win. Its up to the others to control what they can do.

That is a contradiction in itself...

They are old, not fresh, and it´s disgusting to see grandfathers beat young guys in best shape...

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
That is a contradiction in itself...

They are old, not fresh, and it´s disgusting to see grandfathers beat young guys in best shape...
We must be brothers looking at our Avatars...

Not Fresh? Chris has been racing internationally less time than most 33 year olds. This is not a sprint. Older males do well in endurance when older.
However remove those parts from the discussion...

Who is responsible in sports for ensuring the rules/laws are complied with?

The Athletes?
OR
The Authorities?

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Northumberland said:
Can all the SKY conspiracy theorists experts explain to me why they are having such a bad Vuelta? Do they save all the drugs for Froome? what am I missing? Thought this thread was about Horner.

Uran won't get any till he is with omega pharma quickstep. And Henao is off the juice because of his dentist.

What i really find curious with horner is the knee surgery thing. he had it done because of IT Band something but still he wears that black tapes ? Does the injury come back ?

the sceptic said:
Sky are clean, but their riders wont peak for another 15 years, its a bit too early for them. Looking forward to see how fast Froome will climb in 2030.

Anyway this thread is about Horner. Who will sign him up next year? Garmin? sky?

JV will sign him up. He's all for clean cycling.

Funny enough I accidentally clicked on the first page of this thread and read the OP.

“Never seen it on the team. Never heard about it. Never seen it,” Horner told VeloNews Monday afternoon. “It’s just disappointing, everything you see, everything you read.”

Horner has raced for Bruyneel since 2008, first with Astana, then on to RadioShack in 2010 and RadioShack-Nissan in 2012. Bruyneel last week stepped down from his position at RadioShack-Nissan in light of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency’s investigation into Lance Armstrong, which painted the two of them as the masterminds of an unprecedented doping conspiracy that accounted for Armstrong’s seven Tour de France wins.

“I didn’t see anything that was unbelievable. When you’re reading it now about he past, it’s hard to take and bad news,” Horner said of his time under Bruyneel, with two seasons alongside Armstrong. He said he never saw Armstrong dope in that time, and also that, while Armstrong posted strong results, Horner never saw any “unbelievable” riding from the Texan.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

he's also invented this technique called grinding in a gear you can't push - everyone will be doing that one day - it's sort of like when LA went at 110rpm and all that, except different

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Why is everyone shocked. Chris has been injured for most of the year and therefore hasn't raced alot. Nibs, Valverde etc have all raced alot this year so it makes perfect sense that Horner will be fresher and stronger than them. What we're seeing here is good old fashioned hatred of America!

Contador comes into Vuelta last year and folks say "he does not have enough racing miles in his legs" as excuse for the average first 2 weeks. Now its Horner is fantastic in the first 2 weeks because "he has little racing miles in his legs". Sounds weird, right? Which one is it?

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Contador comes into Vuelta last year and folks say "he does not have enough racing miles in his legs" as excuse for the average first 2 weeks. Now its Horner is fantastic in the first 2 weeks because "he has little racing miles in his legs". Sounds weird, right? Which one is it?

jilbiker said:
A gigantic difference between not having enough "racing kilometers" for not being allowed to compete while being healthy and get training ---and Not having enough "racing Kilometers" due to a "Knee injury"-not even being able to train at all until the doctor OK's it & then returns to "smash" the competition with two stage wins...... see? ;)

Horner unsigned 2013. Froome unsigned 2011. Team scouts really need to up their game to see the true talent that is right under their noses. It's like Lionel Messi being in danger of being snapped up by Brighton & Hove Albion because a top team hasn't locked them into a contract extension.

In fairness they do say the risk of being out of a job can be an extra motivation.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Fergoose said:
Horner unsigned 2013. Froome unsigned 2011. Team scouts really need to up their game to see the true talent that is right under their noses. It's like Lionel Messi being in danger of being snapped up by Brighton & Hove Albion because a top team hasn't locked them into a contract extension.

In fairness they do say the risk of being out of a job can be an extra motivation.[/QUOTE]

That's always been his motivation, more than vainglory. He needs the money. His performance is tough to chalk up to clean rehab as most would believe. At the same time I don't think he started riding just before Tour of Utah. Thinking of Adrian Peterson it's more likely he's been training fairly hard for several months where the nuisance of testing agencies don't bother you. Surely I don't know but I'll check in with the folks in Bend....

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
And that explains why Steve Houanard won the Vuelta last year, riding hard at the end of the season for a new contr... oh wait.

If he changed his name to Chris Houanard he'd have got away with it. Or Aitor, I guess.

You didn't actually think I meant he was surviving on motivation alone? Sorry for the confusion.

TRENDING THREADS