• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
veganrob said:
acoggan has already been on here and defended Horner and supported the beet root juice reason. Lets see if he steps up again.

Glad to.

1. To the best of my recollection, I have never previously commented specifically on Horner.

2. I have no idea whether or not he is doping now, or ever has.

3. Dietary nitrate does indeed improve exercise performance.

Wow, what hatred for Horner from some here, even worse than the stuff that gets thrown at Sky...one thing to keep in mind though, you'd think that such a heavy cheater that you purport him to be would have had a few opportunities to get caught given his age and the time he's been around, no? If he's as dirty as you claim he is, he must be one smart cookie! Yet in spite of that we keep reading that he races because he needs the money...so super smart, but living from one paycheck to the other? Odd...

webvan said:
Wow, what hatred for Horner from some here, even worse than the stuff that gets thrown at Sky...one thing to keep in mind though, you'd think that such a heavy cheater that you purport him to be would have had a few opportunities to get caught given his age and the time he's been around, no? If he's as dirty as you claim he is, he must be one smart cookie! Yet in spite of that we keep reading that he races because he needs the money...so super smart, but living from one paycheck to the other? Odd...

Truth be told he rarely races and spends almost all of his time in the US.

He pops up now and then and wins and goes home.

The template of a doper of old.

webvan said:

We've been through this about a thousand times. Not getting caught and being clean are not synonymous.

As far as needing money, you do realize the guy wasn't making much for a good period of his career, right? Webcor wasn't exactly Astana. The guy needs $$ and knows that if he gets caught now, who cares? He's almost 42.
He can spend his free time beating Levi's new Strava records.

webvan said:
Even though he's 64 years old, he hasn't ridden in Europe more seasons than your average European 32-34-year-old veteran. Plenty of people don't test positive - most of them, in fact. Surely you've been around long enough to know that?

I have no clue if it's true but I tell myself that the comments on the main site's articles are:
- brit wins suspiciously : americans accuse said brit of doping, brits beliiieeeeeeeeve.
- american wins suspiciously : brits accuse said american of doping, americans belieeeeeve

It makes it much more fun to read than believe they're just a group of "they're doping ! " and another of " no they're not "

Major Taylor said:
All of the 2013 Spain riders may be clean. Though I really doubt it, it is a possibility.

Horner has been around awhile, nice to see some wins for him.

Even during the economic boom years, the Vuelta never tested as much as the other grand tours. They even went so far as collecting samples but never testing them. This happened when Roberto Heras got popped.

Now, with Spain being so cash-strapped, it could be a simple matter of the race organization not wanting to bother with spending the money.

All you need is a proper insider to tell certain riders of the situation and it truly becomes a free-for-all.

If the race organization can't see this monumental farce for what it is, they are beyond help.

Horner's performance is suspicious. Agreed. However, it seems that's all it is right now. Evidence? Where is this blood data that's said to look like the Giro route?

Also I wouldn't get too excited and/or dismayed about Horner winning the Vuelta yet. Horner will lose the red in the ITT and then face trying to get it back and hold off the other contenders as the race pushes into a third week. It's only going to get tougher for him. The smart money's got to be on Nibali.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Sums it up what was discussed here (no contract; do or die; no GT results before age 38; LA defender until last second)

Verdict: Guilty

BTW, good link & article

Again, not a shack or Horner fan myself.

Thats some pretty circumstantial evidence. And the whole "down the doping jar" comment was never qualified. Do you know of any legitimate court in the world who would allow "they did it. how do you know? I heard some reports. Oh well good enough for me". I don't think for a minute that the guy is clean but the Clinic does itself no favors jumping to guilty then citing **** poor evidence.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I just liked when Rolf "Omerta" Sørensen in a very dry voice said that Horner was a green guy when he joined the pro peleton, but he was quickly taught how to behave, for instance under the wings of Armstrong.

To me that was the same as Rolf shouting out loud: "Look at Horner! He dopes like in the good old days!"

classicomano said:
Is this translated properly?

If so I would love to know more details of it.

Yes the translation is ok.

It does sounds pretty interesting. The guy who have this site also works as an "expert" for danish television, so perhaps he will tell more about Horner on air or online tomorrow. Would like to know who sent those reports about Horner his way.. Kim Plesner is a former CSC employee, so you never know.. Perhaps Tyler told him:p

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
therhodeo said:

Thats some pretty circumstantial evidence. And the whole "down the doping jar" comment was never qualified. Do you know of any legitimate court in the world who would allow "they did it. how do you know? I heard some reports. Oh well good enough for me". I don't think for a minute that the guy is clean but the Clinic does itself no favors jumping to guilty then citing **** poor evidence.

Well, the clinic counts 1+1 together and hit the jackpot very often before positives (Mosquera, DiLuca twice, LA of course, Santambrogio, Astarloza to name a few).

Common sense is better evidence than the "500 negative tests" supplied by any given rider/athlete.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Well, the clinic counts 1+1 together and hit the jackpot very often before positives (Mosquera, DiLuca twice, LA of course, Santambrogio, Astarloza to name a few).

Common sense is better evidence than the "500 negative tests" supplied by any given rider/athlete.

I'm saying I agree that Horner is dirty at least from what I've seen but that article provided nothing definitive that says 100% guilty.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:

So far, the clinic has called out Froome, Porte, and Horner at the last 2 Grand Tours. I think the clinic is 3 for 3, but I guess we'll see.

Valverde's comments were funny.

therhodeo said:

Well it's more the timing. If a bank was robbed, and someone came forward and said they'd heard multiple reports in the weeks leading up to the robbery that an associate of a convicted thief was planning to rob said bank, I presume it would be taken seriously and followed up.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
melkemugg said:
Dont think its drugs, hes just riding a week long race. Horner is gonna pop like a lolipop.

I tend to agree to a point. If he's walking away from people in another week thats different but I think being 42 will catch up to him, drugs or no, in the next week.

therhodeo said:
I tend to agree to a point. If he's walking away from people in another week thats different but I think being 42 will catch up to him, drugs or no, in the next week.

That's why I said it's only going to get tougher for him. It's incredible that he's done so well thus far, but doing it for the full three weeks is still a very long shot.

TRENDING THREADS