• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:
As I mentioned before, ToC a couple of years ago almost led me to quit the sport. It was downright comical. Then, the whole Flandis/Lance thing went down and things seem to slow down a bit. Horner seems to be on that exact same form right now that he was in the 2011 ToC.

Very true.

2011, ToC Sierra Road, 16 min 58 sec, 434.4 W. Almost the same as yesterday, but he might be 1kg less now

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
131313 said:
funny how all of the Vuelta talk is on Horner. I remember talking with a friend of mine who was doing Poland and Vuelta, who happened to mention just how horrible Nibali looked in Poland, basically riding in the gruppetto, missing splits on flat roads. He commented that mysteriously, he'll probably be going for the win in the Vuelta in a few short weeks.

3 weeks later, they're both doing the Vuelta, and Nibali is literally a different guy. If people really want to look at a magical transformation, they should examine those 2 performances. It has to be on the order of a 15-20% power increase in 3 weeks. That's impressive.

But.... but.... but it's been reported that Nibs is off his Giro peak by 15 or 20 watts?

Are you saying there's more to this story?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The fact that Nibali is almost certainly doping himself makes Horners performance even more alien and ridiculous.

Maybe if he was competing against a 100% clean field it could make sense how a juiced to the eyeballs 41 year old could do this.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Race Radio said:

Right, so there's only a 4 minute gap. Fair enough to compare Horner and Contador? I know that VAM is influenced by steepness and that Verbier is virtually a pimple compared to Pena Cabarga, but still, I think it's a legit point of discussion.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Alphabet said:
He will absolutely murder Froome come July. It'll be just like this year's Tour, except whoever finishes third will be 15 minutes behind Horner.

And he's in talks to renew with Trek. Imagine the Trek train now: Horner, safely tucked in behind his two super-doms, Frank and Andy. :D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Alphabet said:
Right, so there's only a 4 minute gap. Fair enough to compare Horner and Contador? I know that VAM is influenced by steepness and that Verbier is virtually a pimple compared to Pena Cabarga, but still, I think it's a legit point of discussion.

sure

While VAM is interesting there are many variables. W/Kg is far more accurate indicator.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Papi Horner!!!!!

It's already been said, but big, big thanks to the Brits for cleaning up and saving cycling! It now allows us to bag the missing GT from our countries palmarès.

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
You can't compare 45 minute climbs to 15 minute climbs. Contador's 20 minute Verbier climb works out to the same values as Horner. This climbing performance definitely makes Horner suspect in the 3rd week of racing. It puts him on par with Froome, Contador, along with all the caught dopers. The same goes for Nibali, Valverde, and Rodriquez. Roche is looking more and more like a doper.

Someone commented earlier about endurance suffering as you get older, that is incorrect, endurance doesn't suffer in fact it may increase, but peak power does decline starting in the mid 30s and the shorter climbs should favor younger riders up to 32-33 years of age at maximum. The steep punchy very short climbs like the Mur de Hoy favor riders than that because pure power wins over prolonged power on those shorter efforts. It's why a guy like Gilbert is not as dominate on those anymore as there is a very small window and why he should probably start concentrating more on 3-4 day to week long stage races to include the classics as experience helps in races such as those.

The only thing going for Horner is his ability to do work day after day which is the product of his training age. However, fatigue works against him as it is harder to recover from bigger efforts as you age and easier to recover when you are younger. The main problem is it is hard to improve your fitness over a 3 week grand tour without starting out riding like a brick anvil up the first couple of climbs at the beginning of the race. Age should lead to greater consistency and less wins against top guys in a 3 week race, while inexperience should show some variations, but more frequent stage wins in races like the Vuelta. I don't see that and the Vuelta peloton seems less clean than the Tour one, but the Vuelta also has shorter faster stages than the tour. For Horner to do this he had to come into the Vuelta with a very high level of fitness which begs the question how is this happening? Is it because he has raced less than anyone else in the race this season? Those are important questions to consider which kind of throws the whole Froome/Wiggins strategies of winning almost everything in site up to the Tour.

Beech Mtn said:
And he's in talks to renew with Trek. Imagine the Trek train now: Horner, safely tucked in behind his two super-doms, Frank and Andy. :D

Won't happen, based on Horner's entire career win or loose this weekend the DS will send him right out next year to ride for AS and he will loose 3-4 minutes before Schleck is so far back they give up on him and Chris is free to finish bottom of the top10 somewhere.
Thus it has always been and thus it shall remain.
OH yeah, Chris will do it too, cause he really needs the money.;)

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
sprenten said:
The steep punchy very short climbs like the Mur de Hoy favor riders than that because pure power wins over prolonged power on those shorter efforts. It's why a guy like Gilbert is not as dominate on those anymore as there is a very small window and why he should probably start concentrating more on 3-4 day to week long stage races to include the classics as experience helps in races such as those. .

You should tell that to Evans and Purito.

Hugh Januss said:
Won't happen, based on Horner's entire career win or loose this weekend the DS will send him right out next year to ride for AS and he will loose 3-4 minutes before Schleck is so far back they give up on him and Chris is free to finish bottom of the top10 somewhere.
Thus it has always been and thus it shall remain.
OH yeah, Chris will do it too, cause he really needs the money.;)

I think Andy Schleck is done for. All those stories about him sucking as an amateur are likely true. He cannot reach super-elite performance without being super jacked.

His brother might be a better bet.

Horner needs to go to the Giro. The main contender there may be Evans, another oldie.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think Andy Schleck is done for. All those stories about him sucking as an amateur are likely true. He cannot reach super-elite performance without being super jacked.

Horner needs to go to the Giro. The main contender there may be Evans, another oldie.

Porte is going alien mode in that giro. When sky tells you in advance who is going to win they are usually right.

heart_attack_man said:
I didn't see Wiggins win the Giro this year...

Don't get me wrong - I'm the last person to defend Sky, but that statement doesn't ring true for me.

I forgot about Alien Porte. Horner might be able to take him.

Wiggins barely counts. He has less strength of character than a four-year-old girl who just lost her dolly.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:

So? what's stop's him form being super jacked? Nothing is stopping Horner. He should just get on the full program again and start kicking ***.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
heart_attack_man said:
I didn't see Wiggins win the Giro this year...

Don't get me wrong - I'm the last person to defend Sky, but that statement doesn't ring true for me.

Wiggins failed big time yes. But Porte winning the giro is written in the stars.

He will be rewarded for his super domestique work in the tour with his own GT win. Just like Froome was.

TRENDING THREADS