• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
del1962 said:
Well if rider 15 is doping, then it is not like the team manager of his main opponent can complain, or the rider who is third for that matter.
64122-256-k815819.jpg

May 26, 2009
Visit site
panache said:
My theory...

Armstrong decides to return in 2009, and do it clean. Realizes quickly he is going look silly, especially after Gila and the broken collarbone, so he goes back to the Ferrari well.

Ferrari has some new tricks up his sleeve. Bank the blood, microdose the EPO, but try this/these new drugs/cocktails. They help you lose weight and keep the power. Upside is that they are either undetectable, or not even on the WADA list, so you can claim to be clean.

The new drugs are very expensive, so only the elite have access, and only those who are working with Ferrari (Nibali), or can help Armstrong but not betray the secret (Horner, Levi).

Everyone else uses the "old" methods. Slowly word gets out about the newer compounds, but few can afford them. There is a three-way split in performance between the "clean" riders, the "old school" oxygen vector dopers, and the "new dopers".

Average speeds are down, because the domestiques on normal teams are now clean. In 2011/2012, Sky take it to a new level, and at least encourage the new methods to the Tenerife group.

By 2013, the elite are catching on that they too need to get thin with power. Contador either won't or can't follow. Wiggans doesn't like the risks he had to take in 2012. Cancellara slows or reverses his decline and looks thinner than ever. Riders with enough money and enough weight to lose, benefit the most.

Chris Horner: Domestique for Lance in 2010 in the Tour and still takes 9th. Crashes in the Tour in 2011 following an alien TOC and is out. In 2012, he places in the top 15 after fetching bottles for Frank and Klodi.

My guess is that Horner is using something that is not yet banned, just like Porte, Wiggans, Nibali, and Froome. I'm not convinced the Spanish Armada is using the same thing yet.

I think that the UCI knows what is being used, but is keeping quiet for now, because it isn't yet explicitly banned.

Horner will likely not win another GT, because the gauntlet has been officially thrown down. To win, you must (again) go full genius. The real war begins when Contador throws his hat back in the ring.

Great post. This place really needs a like button.

You can like/dislike comments on the news stories, why not in here too?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Who cares? Even if Horner did 1000 watts for an hour you would still think he is clean so whats the point?

Horner could tie a blood bag to his bike and transfuse on the climb, and Mr. Scientific Apologist would tell us how it was explainable...

May 27, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
I think he is trying to make some sort of a point about estimating VAM?

I am not sure.

Of course based on Horner's own SRM his VAM during his stage 10 attack was over 1700.

Even that cannot be trusted in Coggan's world. He lives in a place where the only way to even suggest doping is a positive test...

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
I think he is trying to make some sort of a point about estimating VAM?

I am not sure.

Of course based on Horner's own SRM his VAM during his stage 10 attack was over 1700.

This is Antoine Vayers comment to Horners publication of the SRM file:

Horner publish 393 watts for 15 ' minutes and says 65 kg =6,05 w/kg. Pinot did 5,9 w/kg on same part and loose 1'. Guess who lies ! and why;

http://twitter.com/festinaboy/status/376277298682413056

Bucket of salt might be needed.

Yeah, I have certain doubts about the veracity of Horner's file.

But I find it amusing that the guy in the linked article decides to pluck the number for meters climbed out of nowhere despite being aware of Horner's SRM file.

But maybe I am not cerebral enough to grasp whatever point Coggan is making.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Is there someone here who thinks he's clean? I've not seen it.

Just go back to the time when Horner had a subpar ITT. Many here in the clinic said around that time all performances (from stages 1-11) by Horner were plausible. Some members (who rightfully went after LA in the good clinic years) went so far to praise him in the road-race-thread :mad:.
Finally, most of them predicted a meltdown for Horner in week 3, while only Hog and I saw the 3-Week-Freak-Show coming. For that we got heavy heat. Hog was laughed at b/c he predicted a Alien-ITT-performance by Horner. He failed in that lone stage, but his overall prediction was good.
Now those members join the bandwagon. And no one can convince me that they all were sarcastic since they showed their praise seriously for Horner in the RR-Thread.

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Just go back to the time when Horner had a subpar ITT. Many here in the clinic said around that time all performances (from stages 1-11) by Horner were plausible. Some members (who rightfully went after LA in the good clinic years) went so far to praise him in the road-race-thread :mad:.
Finally, most of them predicted a meltdown for Horner in week 3, while only Hog and I saw the 3-Week-Freak-Show coming. For that we got heavy heat. Hog was laughed at b/c he predicted a Alien-ITT-performance by Horner. He failed in that lone stage, but his overall prediction was good.
Now those members join the bandwagon. And no one can convince me that they all were sarcastic since they showed their praise seriously for Horner in the RR-Thread.

Do you want a hug? Or is a simple "Thank you" thread enough?

acoggan said:
Just sharing something I stumbled upon - tear into it as you wish:

http://bikerackheads.blogspot.com/

tear into it as you wish

Rather easy, it's full of holes.
Let's assume the blog info is right.
According to the graph shown, the elevation over the last 4 km is
100 + 55 + 90 + 146 = 391 m

Of which 300 meters are downhill at 2.5%, which cost about, say, 24 seconds.

What is left ?
391 meters uphill over 3.7 km (10.57%) in 11 min.

RESULT = 2133 m/hr

Either you blog friend is dishonest or he is really really sloppy.

Just back from analyticcycling.com
took 0.35 m^2
air density 1.15 kg/m^3
3 700m in 660 sec.

I get for 62 + 8 kg

a power of 458 watts
+ 2.5 % transmission loss
469 watts

469 watts, not 437

469 watts / 62 = 7.57 watts /kg over 11 minutes.

Not bad for a "vétéran"

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
This is silly. Age grouper marathoners are not elite level marathoners. If a 42 year old wins Boston then perhaps questions should be asked.

But this on its face is totally meaningless.

No it´s not.
It shows on a large sample size that endurance sports performance indeed declines with age. It´s not improving like it is with Horner.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
The fact that age group Q-times for marathons have significance in top level cycling seems a little over the top.

But hey, I've been in so SoCal masters crits that were real eye openers. Guys older than Horner....:D

Speaking of SoCal masters, did you notice how many guys DIDN'T go to Nationals this year? With the spectre of dope controls at Nationals it looked like a ghost town up there. Not just SoCal, where were the Morgan Stanley Nor Cal guys at?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
It's gonna be fun watching him win Sunday. Froome fanboys are going to explode.

I won´t for two reasons:
a.) I am not a fanboy of Froome. I only mentioned all summer long his performances can be explained to some extent... I don´t care who wins GT´s unless Ullrich comes back when he is 42. :p
b.) I am over the point to hope Horner cracks. Now i want it to be a real Alien-Predator freak show*, so that even 12 year old boys & girls understand he is a fraud, and cycling is dead. Bye bye JV, Millar etc... Clean(ish) cycling may had exist for 2 years. Now we are back to the mid 90s... no, it´s worse than that.

* My prediction is 1.06 minutes gain by Horner vs. the rest of contenders.

acoggan said:
Just sharing something I stumbled upon - tear into it as you wish:

http://bikerackheads.blogspot.com/

I just remember the Froome vuelta 2011 file I sent you on july 19th.

On it you can see that froome's best effort over 11 min was at 498 watts,
I believe froome is supposed to be 67 kg (is that it?)

498/67 = 7.44 watts/kg for 11 min.

Basically the same as Horner on Peña Cabarga considering that I don't know the exact weight of Froome

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hog said this back on entry #59

Still talking smack.

He'll probably win the Vuelta!

You guys had warning so you should quit the whining and watch.

TRENDING THREADS