• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
goggalor said:
So another embarrassing American GT win is just one day away. Wonder how long it will take this one to get a line through it.

Hopefully not to long, I have already written to USADA. If Travis unearthed anything on Horner in the USPS investigation I'm sure he will investigate this performance.

The USA may have dopers but Travis isn't afraid to bring them down. Travis is my Hero :)

LOL I'll probably get abuse because I root for AC, Valverde, Basso (all paid their dues) Nibali, Purito, Cancellera, Phil, etc....the list goes on and on.

But there are riders that just slap you in the face with their blatant fraud: Horner and Froome currently.

And what causes UCI to leave Horner in peace?
passport software malfunctioning or something else?[/QUOTE]

It is because McQuaid is still in charge and a Horner positive would crush any chance of his holding on to his UCI presidency.......not that he has much chance as it stands.

I would very much like to know exactly what tests were issued during this Vuelta, how often etc.

Cycle Chic said:
Horner actually turns to the camera and talks to it....like he's Bill Clinton.

"As you folks sit at home you got to see something you may never get to see accomplished ever again in your life.

I hope all of you enjoyed every pedal stroke of every suffering I did all the way to the finish. I hope you loved every moment the same way that I did"

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/cycling-la-vuelta-a-espana/series-4/episode-20

that's the funniest sporting speech I,ve ever seen and heard.

LMAO we were ****ing ourselves in our house, absolutely ****ing ourselves. Hilarious! :p:D:p

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Why is it moronic?

It makes the likely performance for Porte at the Giro all the more believable if he goes there and starts leading the GC as the team can then point to the fact that he has been preparing himself for the race for the last 9 months unlike Horner who just happens to show up at a GT and is set to walk away with the win.

It gives anyone who thinks they don't have a hope at the Tour, who would normally race it, heads up on who the big boy at Sky will be. Why do you think Cadel is now racing the Giro? Simple gamesmanship. Do not reveal your whole hand before you've played it. Horner has learnt this one...literally nobody expected this from him. Kudos are kind of due aren't they?

Thus people can now prepare and adjust accordingly. Contador, if he's going to race seriously, aka, go back to old levels (choose whatever reason you want) then he should aim for the Giro. 9 months is a long time to get hold of some better drugs. Horner should go for the Giro IMO. Tour is asking for trouble with his LA nut hugging...then again I did suggest that both men named Chris may not be able to get away with as much dirty works at the Giro. The Italians are pretty good at catching obvious over the top doping.

It's not moronic in the sense you mention, but when you've literally just dared everyone to go full genius dope wise in order to beat you and you're announcing who your big gun is...yeah, it gives the opposition notice. A lot of guys will take more risks now. Who saw the Belkin duo every reaching the top ten before the Tour? I didn't. Worse, it allows the possibility of someone to do an Oscar Perreiro at the Giro. Dope a lot more than usual, get into a break and hold on for dear life.

Fret not, Tomolaris will wet his pants over two Aussies battling it out at the Giro. I am almost wondering now if Greenedge will throw a rider into the mix. Why not? People would buy it. Not all people, but enough.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
Hopefully not to long, I have already written to USADA. If Travis unearthed anything on Horner in the USPS investigation I'm sure he will investigate this performance.

The USA may have dopers but Travis isn't afraid to bring them down. Travis is my Hero :)

LOL I'll probably get abuse because I root for AC, Valverde, Basso (all paid their dues) Nibali, Purito, Cancellera, Phil, etc....the list goes on and on.

But there are riders that just slap you in the face with their blatant fraud: Horner and Froome currently.

all your favorites are caught or soon to be caught dopers, some nobodies that without doping wouldn't win a race

horner and froome are clean, most talented cyclists that ever lived

but hey, skinny, tanned with a little beard mediteraneans are hard to resist

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/cycling-la-vuelta-a-espana/series-4/episode-20

Here's Horner's SPEECH - this is a must hear post race interview which has been missed because it was done by Matt Rendell for ITV 4.

Its at 40mins - unfortunately the ads cant be skipped through - its well worth waiting for !

Who the hell does Chris Horner think he is !! I think ped's eradicate all rational thinking and realms of reality.

He really thinks HE has become a CYCLING LEGEND

Drugs when you go bonkers and don't have too many neurons in your noggin tend to do that. You believe your own hype. Just like Chris has. Both of them in fact.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
leon993 said:
If you look at Horner in Vuelta and Froome in TDC, both are insanely thin. They are taking something that burns the fat while leaving muscles intact. I think it is as simple as that.

It's called 'working out', because that's what training does - burn fat and keep/build up the muscles. Horner's performance was the most believable I've seen in a while. He was on top of his game with the climbing, but unlike other 'miracle climbers' he lost quite some time in the TT. He never put in an effort where you'd think "WHOA NELLY!". He only had one serious contender to begin with - Nibali and Nibbles badly faded in the last week. And even then Horner could only nibble away (bad pun) at Nibali's gap 30 to 40 seconds at a time. He never blasted away with 5K to go using a ridiculous cadence, he did a short attack and then slowly grinded away on stamina, because that's what older athletes do best. Stamina declines the slowest with age.

And people forget that Horner has always been decent in the mountains, he merely crashed too often to convert it into results. His climbing is good, but not Froome-like. But good climbing was enough to win this Vuelta, because there were no serious contenders.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:

I'd write a letter too, for the same reasons you wrote but I'm not American.

Someone should tell him to share the juice with Andy. I want to see 2010 Andy Schleck again. He was a furious force to be reckoned with. Had a solid chrono that year too.

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:

How can you state that as fact ? Where is the evidence ? There is none.
Speculation based on performance is not fact, and cannot be stated as fact
without irrefutable evidence.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Zeemax said:
How can you state that as fact ? Where is the evidence ? There is none.
Speculation based on performance is not fact, and cannot be stated as fact
without irrefutable evidence.

I'd claim that any time someone over 40 wins an endurance athletic competition against top tier elite competitors of normal age the burden is on them to prove that they are not doping. Historically there are no examples of such performances (someone will supply two examples to prove me wrong) and it's terribly naive to believe that any given guy has done something that no one before could do.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Rip:30 said:
Why do pros usually decline and stop in their mid to late 30s?

Because a 1-2% drop in performance means you are out of business. The top of the top athlets are very tight together talent wise. Only the very best can survive at late 30s/40s, but they still decline. Horners performance is absolutely abnormal. Not even Bonds or Clemens, who were on top of their game in their 20s, could keep up with MLB star talent if they hadn´t used PEDs en masse. Horner OTOH was not on top of his game in his 20s, but only late 30s & early 40s.
Other riders who finished high in CG rankings (before the EPO-era begun) at an old age shone early. Like Zoetemelk, who finished 2nd-TdF at age 35, but had his early outcome at age 23 by finishing 2nd in his first TdF. So he maintained his level over a long period of time, but he didn´t improve like Horner. And from age 36 Zoetemelk declined stark. A time when Horner´s performance started to rise.

Not normal.

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Because a 1-2% drop in performance means you are out of business.

I think the bulk of your response to his question was the question itself:

If the question is, "why do people's performances decrease with age?" A response of, "because they experience a 1-2% drop is performance" isn't helpful.

This logical fallacy is the correct usage of the term "begging the question."

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Because a 1-2% drop in performance means you are out of business. The top of the top athlets are very tight together talent wise. Only the very best can survive at late 30s/40s, but they still decline. Horners performance is absolutely abnormal. Not even Bonds or Clemens, who were on top of their game in their 20s, could keep up with MLB star talent if they hadn´t used PEDs en masse. Horner OTOH was not on top of his game in his 20s, but only late 30s & early 40s.
Other riders who finished high in CG rankings (before the EPO-era begun) at an old age shone early. Like Zoetemelk, who finished 2nd-TdF at age 35, but had his early outcome at age 23 by finishing 2nd in his first TdF. So he maintained his level over a long period of time, but he didn´t improve like Horner. And from age 36 Zoetemelk declined stark. A time when Horner´s performance started to rise.

Not normal.

How is Horner supposed to be competitive at 25 if he wasn't doping at a level anywhere close to what the elite riders were doing at the time? No clean rider has managed such a feat in the past two decades so why treat Horner any differently?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:

...and every rider you mentioned in the sentence above that one...but it's understandable as it's obvious that AC was never really a legitimate GT threat without major doping, and the rest of the riders on that list can't cut it without major doping...so you have to compensate wherever you can...:rolleyes:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
How is Horner supposed to be competitive at 25 if he wasn't doping at a level anywhere close to what the elite riders were doing at the time? No clean rider has managed such a feat in the past two decades so why treat Horner any differently?

If he was not doping at age 25, why didn´t he at least have results like other clean riders in that era (Casar, Moncoutie for example)? :rolleyes:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
nepetalactone said:
I think the bulk of your response to his question was the question itself:

If the question is, "why do people's performances decrease with age?" A response of, "because they experience a 1-2% drop is performance" isn't helpful.

This logical fallacy is the correct usage of the term "begging the question."

Why you think i bolded the 2nd part of the Question? :rolleyes:

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:

Not normal.
Yeah, lets bring in Joop Zoetemelk, indeed not normal. He only refreshed his own blood during the Tour of 1977 [?] due to health issues.
Never tested positive.

You can do better Foxman.

Chris always had a big engine. Face it. Now, due to the Bio Pass he can shine like he was supposed to do back in 1997. Too bad dopers from especially Germany were too high on EPO in those days so a clean athlete frome the States was not able to compete with them. Given the picture I have seen from Chris from 1997 he was more suited to Paris - Roubaix though :D

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
...and every rider you mentioned in the sentence above that one...but it's understandable as it's obvious that AC was never really a legitimate GT threat without major doping, and the rest of the riders on that list can't cut it without major doping...so you have to compensate wherever you can...:rolleyes:

Whaaaaaaaaattt?!?!!

You mean AC crushing Cancellara at the Annecy ITT a few years ago wasn't legit?

Goddammit. I just don't know why I watch cycling anymore.....

TRENDING THREADS