• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well- It was coming anyways. sooner or later he was going to be popped, so in a way it was the best way to hang the bike for good.

Its time for Chris Horner to step down from Pro Tour- perhaps a Conti team back home might give him a contract, but overall is simply time to stop it all together.

Not surprised with the silly responses here.

How many guys are riding with TUEs right now that aren't part of the MPCC that are using cortisol??

Give Lampre and Horner credit, he was tested, they agreed to not race with particularly levels or allow a TUE, and so they did such.

Has nothing to do with being busted for anything. If you have some actual evidence or medical theory that can be backed with some studies that he was doping, then please do instead of making moronic comments out of spite for whatever your biased reasons are.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
He has been sick for a record amount of time, something like two months. Might have been the horse dose.

Well, Cortisone is an immunosuppressant so if you use it too much you will have trouble kicking colds........wait, what?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
My personal CT is: They withdrawal him before a major explosion (like busted for Epo, or getting him directly hanging on a needle during stages).

You know the quiet retirement a la Menchov is the new wave.
Anyway, thanks god this grotesque something is gone. I am happy for now...

zigmeister said:

How many guys are riding with TUEs right now that aren't part of the MPCC that are using cortisol??

Give Lampre and Horner credit, he was tested, they agreed to not race with particularly levels or allow a TUE, and so they did such.

Has nothing to do with being busted for anything. If you have some actual evidence or medical theory that can be backed with some studies that he was doping, then please do instead of making moronic comments out of spite for whatever your biased reasons are.

Biased reasons? Well I for one still find very hard to swallow that a near 42 year old is good enough to win GTs no matter what the circumstances. Sure this situation may be plausible but overall - especially knowing the recent history of this sport - you can excuse people of being suspicious of a near 43 year old who can still ride for GC in a Grand Tour against the best of guys in their late 20s to early 30s. Statistical outlier? No sorry that doesn't wash.

I still agree 100% with the OPs premise no matter if this weeks circumstance could be legitimate or not.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:

Who uses cortisol ? Please share.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Unless I misread the article he did nothing illegal and was volunteered to not participate by his team even though legally there would have been nothing wrong in doing so. But he had the tue and in any case he did not actually race on the drugs, even though he was allowed to.

This is like saying someone was found guilyy of robbery when a friend gave them
Permission to break into his house when he was away, in order to borrow some film he had, but they didn't do it anyway cos their parents said - don't do it.

If anything from a doping angle horners chances of getting caught at the vuelta, just fell. And lampres lack of support suggests any doping programme was individual.

That is my feeling too. Not that the chances for anyone to test positive at the Vuelta are big...

Conspiracy theory:
The Lampre docs saw where it was heading and gave him some extra cortisone just to make his cortisol fall enough for him to not make it past MPCCs testing.

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
Biased reasons? Well I for one still find very hard to swallow that a near 42 year old is good enough to win GTs no matter what the circumstances. Sure this situation may be plausible but overall - especially knowing the recent history of this sport - you can excuse people of being suspicious of a near 43 year old who can still ride for GC in a Grand Tour against the best of guys in their late 20s to early 30s. Statistical outlier? No sorry that doesn't wash.

I still agree 100% with the OPs premise no matter if this weeks circumstance could be legitimate or not.

Still no evidence, facts, just speculation. Most of the Clinic is just that, a bunch of wannabes speculating. I have strong doubts about CH, but they're just that, doubts. JC Peraud just got 2nd place at the TDF at 37 years old, not too far off from Horner, age is not everything when it comes to performing.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
neineinei said:
That is my feeling too. Not that the chances for anyone to test positive at the Vuelta are big...

Conspiracy theory:
The Lampre docs saw where it was heading and gave him some extra cortisone just to make his cortisol fall enough for him to not make it past MPCCs testing.

alternative theory: the UCI doesnt want a repeat of last years farce.

RiccoDinko said:
Still no evidence, facts, just speculation. Most of the Clinic is just that, a bunch of wannabes speculating. I have strong doubts about CH, but they're just that, doubts. JC Peraud just got 2nd place at the TDF at 37 years old, not too far off from Horner, age is not everything when it comes to performing.

42 or 43 is a lot older than 37 at this point in a professional sportspersons career. Peraud is not a valid reference point to Horner. Anyhow you have admitted having the same strong doubts I and no doubt many others have. Frankly I am still of the opinion last year WAS a farce.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
All CTs go the same direction:
A big Horner blowup was about to come.
He silently got retired in the dustbin (before any major events could take place)... Where he belongs to.

Lampre is part of MPCC. MPCC does not allow competition with low levels of cortisol, an 8 day rest period is required. Lampre must know this type of treatment lowers the level of cortisol. They give him this type of treatment and request a TUE on 15.08.

The doctor says: "Physiologically this treatment can cause a lowering of the cortisol together with other factors such as jet lag after his travel from United States where he had a time difference of 9 hours."

UCI blood test shows low level of cortisol, OK with UCI, not OK with MPCC.
They withdraw him.

So, either Lampre thinks the guy is too much of a risk for Vuelta and nails him with steroids under MPCC rules, everybody is happy, either Horner takes some elephant doses back in the States and everybody is surprised by the test or either the doctor is plain dumb.

Rollthedice said:
So, either Lampre thinks the guy is too much of a risk for Vuelta and nails him with steroids under MPCC rules, everybody is happy, either Horner takes some elephant doses back in the States and everybody is surprised by the test or either the doctor is plain dumb.

Or maybe neither of the 2...

From CN:
Copeland added that he, his medical staff and the rider were aware of the risk involved when prescribing Horner the TUE but added that without the treatment there was no chance of him racing at all.

“Obviously there is a risk with the cortisol levels changing and with the MPCC rules we knew that. He did the test yesterday the levels were too low. I think this shows just how much we respect the MPCC rules and what they believe in. It’s unfortunate but we all knew that there was a risk with the treatment.”

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Oh how I love it.
I don´t have to vomit on my TV when half-body/half-dead cowboy sprints up the mountain, but better is this:
All the prep for nothing. BBs cooling/withdrawn, hiding, training rides, pure stress... all for nothing. How wonderful.

And in the end the full truth will come up anyway. Like it did with LA.

Great day....

TRENDING THREADS