• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where is Denis Menchov?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not impressed with Menchov's average speed 46.5km/hour over 45km. If conditions were normal and this was a flat TT, then 57:58 was a bad time.

Neither with his comment:
I won quite easy, without super effort, so, I am satisfied. Tour de France is starting with just a week and I am waiting for it very much.

His preparing for The Tour and he was not putting a big effort, according to him? He's still a 2 star favorite for the Tour in my book.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Chicken said:
Menchov wins Russian time trial title

1 Denis Menchov (Katusha) 0:57:58
2 Dmitry Sokolov (Lokosphinx) 0:01:07
3 Valery Kaykov (Rusvelo)

;)

Any other time trialists of pro tour level there? I ask because I have never heard of Dmitry Sokolov or Valery Kaykov. This win will probably give him confidence but it doesn't tell us where he is form wise compared to Wiggins or Evans.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Any other time trialists of pro tour level there? I ask because I have never heard of Dmitry Sokolov or Valery Kaykov. This win will probably give him confidence but it doesn't tell us where he is form wise compared to Wiggins or Evans.

Мужчины. Гонка с раздельным стартом. 45 км. 1. Denis Menchov – 57.58,28. 2. Дмитрий Соколов – отставание 1.10. 3. Валерий Кайков – + 1.10. 4. Vladimir Husev – + 1.12. 5. Сергей Фирсанов – + 1.23. 6. Сергей Шилов – + 1.36. 7. Алексей Куйшин – + 1.52. 8. Александр Рыбаков – + 1.56. 9. Vladimir Isaychev – + 1.57. 10. Pavel Brutt – + 2.17… 13. Mihail Ignatiev – + 2.51...

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Menchov will shock Cadel and Brad;)

Sky propaganda this month has been unbearable, (ultimate focus, ultimate training, ultimate mental approach, ultimate managerial skills and a large list of ultimates things)

So an ultimate victory for the half navarre, half russian will be sweet, 1 giro, 2 vueltas and 1 tour:cool:

RHRH19861986 said:
Haha, @ everyone who thought Sanchez, Klöden, Schleck, VDB, Nibali would smoke Menchov: what do you say now??

GC contenders:
1. Wiggins
2. Menchov

Yes! Brilliant performance by Menchov. Great for my fantasy cycling and CQ team as well :)

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I hoped so much for him all year, since winter... Always knew it is maybe his last chance this year, and everything seemed perfect... Then his knee problems, and I worried a lot.

After today, I´m slightly optimistic. Hope his knee will remain "quiet".

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
In 2010 when Menchov got 3rd in the TDF he got 73th in the prologue, 56 sec behind Canc :)

Didn´t know that; so today is a rather good sign.

Don´t want to be too optimistic, the Tour has just begun, and three weeks to go, but great to see that my favourite rider Menchov seems to be in the shape he needs.
He shows again that it´s the legs that count, not having the biggest mouth.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Like a Boss

Denis-Menchov_1408232c.jpg

Until some pics come out with that awesome chrono bike.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Forunculo said:

Sky propaganda this month has been unbearable, (ultimate focus, ultimate training, ultimate mental approach, ultimate managerial skills and a large list of ultimates things)

So an ultimate victory for the half navarre, half russian will be sweet, 1 giro, 2 vueltas and 1 tour:cool:

Step by step my dark horse:D

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Forunculo said:

So an ultimate victory for the half navarre, half russian will be sweet, 2 giros, 1 vuelta and 1 tour:cool:

+1000000. 2 Vueltas though.

gotta say,coming from the silent asassin,it was pretty shocking to me too.8th already in the prologue might give a good indication of scary form for menchov.
remember: THE LAST TIME he cared about a race was TdF 2010, forget about 2011 giro and vuelta,those grand tour mean nothing to him because he has already has them

in 2012,menchov might complete his rich palmares no doubt.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
I hoped so much for him all year, since winter... Always knew it is maybe his last chance this year, and everything seemed perfect... Then his knee problems, and I worried a lot.

After today, I´m slightly optimistic. Hope his knee will remain "quiet".

I've been quietly optimistic since this
http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=22899

Plus reading between the lines of this interview
http://menchov.velolive.com/1792-denis-menchov-interview-pered-startom-tour-de-france-2012.html
(Sorry I don't think there's English one) it seems like his knee problems are behind him and he feels great.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
THE LAST TIME he cared about a race was TdF 2010,

yeah, and back then he only got 73th at the prologue at 56 secs from Canc.... so maybe Menchov will be even better than in 2010 :eek:

(yeah yeah I know, prologue doesn't say much... we'll have to wait til the first mountain stage and first long TT to find out I guess)

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Menchov always have problem holding position in flat or hilly stages, lets's see how he does in the next couple of days. Somehow I think he will be exceptionally good in the mountains.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Menchov always have problem holding position in flat or hilly stages, lets's see how he does in the next couple of days. Somehow I think he will be exceptionally good in the mountains.

Well, in the interview that I mentioned above he actually talks about it, and talks about being scared of losing time in the first week, hence the someone strange choice of the teammates for the TDF (Kuchynski, Paolini)

TRENDING THREADS