• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where to put the money - frame or wheels?

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
You can choose one of two rides for a race, and each bike is equipped identically except for the wheels. Which one gives the greater advantage (assuming that the race is steep enough that aero isn't as much of a factor):

1. Steel frame bike with high-end wheels (say Lightweight Ventouxes or something exotic like that).

2. Carbon bike with mid level racing wheels (Mavic Ksyrium Elites?)

So the frame is few pounds heavier but with perfect wheels or the frame is a few pounds lighter but with not perfect wheels. Which bike has the advantage?

It was a comment in the frame materials thread that got me thinking about this... the comment about a Merckx-era bike equiped with modern groupset and wheels being (maybe) the ideal bike...

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Decent wheels can make the crappiest of frames the bike of dreams. Not the other way around. I have many low grade, heavy, Asian made frames that have nice wheels on them, and it makes all the difference. It's backwards to think you should have a nicer frame than wheels. Most important upgrade that people consider when their machine built wheels eventually die off their mid range Specialized, Trek, Giant, whatever. Wheels are the most dynamic part of a bicycle, if they are crap, even on a top shelf frame, the bike will ride as such. Not just biased because wheels are my business, but anyone that is in-the-know will tell you the same thing. ;)

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
re: rdv4roubaix

Yeah, that's what I think too. Just curious what others thought. Incidently, the wheel issue is why I can honestly say I've rarely seen an "off the rack" bike priced where it should be. The wheels are always crappola (given the sticker price).

So why is frame material always the biggest show? And why do bike shops seem to relegate wheels to an afterthought? Is there not as much margin in a wheelset? I guess there's more money in having people "upgrade" bikes rather than wheels.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
bc_hills said:
So why is frame material always the biggest show?

Most expensive component, all the marketing money is tied up there, especially in the high end.

And why do bike shops seem to relegate wheels to an afterthought?
The good ones have an aftermarket wheel selection, or a competent wheel builder, or both. If a shop doesn't have at least somebody that can build a wheel from scratch with some skill, it's most likely a big mfg boutique not a real bike shop.

Is there not as much margin in a wheelset?

The margin is there, it's just that most people are satisfied with their completes. The aftermarket or custom wheel crowd is a much smaller more discerning niche market, usually racers, performance riders, and people who chose cycling as a lifetime sport or way of life. The part-time weekend cyclist is the biggest market, and they aren't concerned with the details like you and me. Completes, low to midrange, that's the majority of the bikes out there.

I guess there's more money in having people "upgrade" bikes rather than wheels.
Yes, exactly!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
i guess most manufacturers will put "training wheels" on their built bikes to keep the retail price down,
give you something you can ride immediately and often, and because they assume you will want your own choice of aftermarket wheels or have a racing wheelset already

TRENDING THREADS