• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Whey Protein

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Does anyone have experience with EAS 100% Whey Protiein as a recovery drink substitute to Endurox R4?

I've been using R4 since it came out, but would like to try something new. When comparing the two, aside from minute differences in the nutrition facts, Protein is listed at 23g for EAS, and 10g for the R4. But the carbs per serving is 3g for the EAS product, and 53g in R4. I want more protein for recovery, right?

Plus the EAS is a better deal at Sam's Club, than my industry insider bro deal with the Endurox. Not by much, but a little.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Does anyone have experience with EAS 100% Whey Protiein as a recovery drink substitute to Endurox R4?

I've been using R4 since it came out, but would like to try something new. When comparing the two, aside from minute differences in the nutrition facts, Protein is listed at 23g for EAS, and 10g for the R4. But the carbs per serving is 3g for the EAS product, and 53g in R4. I want more protein for recovery, right?

Plus the EAS is a better deal at Sam's Club, than my industry insider bro deal with the Endurox. Not by much, but a little.

I used to use a lot of EAS Myoplex. Those choco lovers variety packs were pretty good except for the mint chip.

I switched to a plain protein powder, like the Hammer whey product. I mix it with a smoothie or chocolate milk or whatever. It is dang cheap and you can make whatever flavor you want.

Which does not answer your question...The R4 must have a crap load of sugars in it. The EAS must be almost all protein, so you would need to mix it with something.

You don't need all that much protein. Per day figures seem to vary from one gram per kilo of body weight to one gram per pound.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Yeah, I think I will buy it. 5 lb bag for 30 bucks, why not. Since the only other flavor is chocolate, I'll go for the Vanillia and mix in some berries to kill the chalkiness, which I'm assuming it has, every thing else does in powder form no matter what it is.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:

Look for protein powders that have no preservatives, no artificial sweeteners, and no sugar. Please be careful when buying based on the lowest price, as the better quality products are often not the lowest price. I'm not sure of brands, but see if you can find a protein powder sweetened with stevia. You can also put a scoop of the powder in a bowl of oatmeal or cereal with some blueberries, or banana thrown in; more filling than a carb/protein drink.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what the deal with sweetened protein powders is, it makes no sense to me. Most use artificial anyways, not good, and it's not REAL. If you mix it with fruit, then it tastes off the charts too sweet. I'm all for supplementing with whey powder, but for carbs we need real food with real nutrition and energy, not a faux sweetener, or sugar that has no vitamins or minerals. Plus, it tastes like he!!. Rant over;)

Try this.... it's pure Whey protein powder without any sweetener, and inexpensive to boot. I've ordered from these guys for years. Free Shipping starts at $40, can't beat that. They have a huge selection of proteins, vits,mins, etc.
http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Whey-Protein-Unflavored-Ultrafiltered-Powder-2-lbs-908-g/343

May 9, 2009
Visit site
lostintime said:
...but for carbs we need real food with real nutrition and energy, not a faux sweetener, or sugar that has no vitamins or minerals.

then again...two cokes and a candy bar post race seem to work just fine for Chris Horner! quoted from: http://blog.oregonlive.com/horner/2009/05/tour_of_italy_diary_stage_8_as.html

Yesterday - about 6,500 total calories

Breakfast: 1,100
Bowl of cereal with two yogurts in it, an omelet with 3 eggs and ham, bread with jam, and hot tea with about 6 tsp. sugar.

Before race: 430
PRC (pre-race Coke), candy bar (normally a Snickers).

Race: 2,455
Two race bars (SIS), 6 or 7 mini Cokes (65 calories each), two Clif shot blocs, three small euro sandwiches, 3 to 5 gels, and two Snickers.

After race in bus: 650
Sandwich, two Cokes, candy bar.

At hotel: 450
Bowl of cereal with milk and honey, crackers.

Dinner: 1,300
Salad, pasta sauce, meat and potatoes, dessert

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Just as a thought - i think what research has shown is that carbs are what helps with recovery most after training/racing - replacing our glycogen stores, and providing fuel for recovery.

Carmichael (Lance's coach) says a 7:1 carb:protein ration is better (yes, over 4:1).

There are numerous problems with consuming protein at this point - besides not actually giving your body any useful fuel, it slows down digestion and absorption...so everything takes longer to get in...which is really only slowing down recovery.

If you really, really, really, really feel like you need to supplement with protein (which if you're eating well would be totally unnecessary if you're eating enough calories), then consume it several hours later. Really tho, there shouldn't be any need to supplement with protein. (Although i guess those selling protein powders would have you thinking otherwise.)

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Since the 90s I've used colostrom powder. Besides protein, it has a number of useful ingredients that stops DOMS better than anything I've ever tried.

It's very expensive, but you only have it post-exercise, especially after hard efforts. 2-3 teapoons in chocolate milk.

I can still buy it at health food shops here in Australia, but I'm not sure if it's banned these days for competition as it contains IGF-1.

Besides this, there is an ethical concern about depriving calves of the milk they need to grow. If possible, you can try to find a producer that only collects surplus mother's milk.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Stingray34 said:
stops DOMS better than anything I've ever tried [...] it contains IGF-1.

LOL!!

That might have something to do with its effectiveness :rolleyes: (unless you have an incredibly dry sense of humour and that was a joke).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Vegan Dave said:
Just as a thought - i think what research has shown is that carbs are what helps with recovery most after training/racing - replacing our glycogen stores, and providing fuel for recovery.

There are numerous problems with consuming protein at this point - besides not actually giving your body any useful fuel, it slows down digestion and absorption...so everything takes longer to get in...which is really only slowing down recovery.

While most of what you say is correct, consuming a small amount of high quality protein (such as whey protein) after exercise promotes muscle protein synthesis compared to carbohydrates alone (ie, aides in recovery) and may enhance the body the body's respinse to long-term training. (Source: http://www.gssiweb.com/Article_Detail.aspx?articleID=719

It is a controversial area, but Matt Fitzgerald alse recommends whey protein for recovery in his book "Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance. Five-Step Plan for Endurance Athletes".

Carbs are by far the most important component of recovery, but I think a high-quality protein aides in recovery and certainly is not detrimental to recovery. High-quality protein in the form of whey powder will not slow digestion and absorption like consuming high-quality and highly bioavailable protein from food sources (such as meat and eggs).

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone really protein deficient? No. Doesn't exist.

If you really believe protein from beyond regular food sources is good for you .... have at it. If not ... don't.

I used to consume massive protein ..... tried various powders ..... they did nothing for me. Didn't help in any way.

For the last year ....I've consumed a very low protein percentage .... probably 5-10% , from mostly fruits and vegetables. Now I feel fantastic .... recover faster than I ever have. Go figure.

I take stock in scientific studies with a grain of salt. Why? .... because people thrive on many different kinds of foods, studies are very very small samplings of people .....and no study is even remotely close to studying the entire population of the earth. Only then would they get a clear picture .... and that picture would show lots of ways of thriving.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
lostintime said:
Is anyone really protein deficient? No. Doesn't exist.

If you really believe protein from beyond regular food sources is good for you .... have at it. If not ... don't.

I used to consume massive protein ..... tried various powders ..... they did nothing for me. Didn't help in any way.

For the last year ....I've consumed a very low protein percentage .... probably 5-10% , from mostly fruits and vegetables. Now I feel fantastic .... recover faster than I ever have. Go figure.

I take stock in scientific studies with a grain of salt. Why? .... because people thrive on many different kinds of foods, studies are very very small samplings of people .....and no study is even remotely close to studying the entire population of the earth. Only then would they get a clear picture .... and that picture would show lots of ways of thriving.

I thought we were talking about a recovery drink, not dietary habits, and the potential benefits of using whey protein for recovery.

There are other threads dealing with people's dietary preferences so please do not derail this thread with another merry-go-round discussion of diets.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
I thought we were talking about a recovery drink, not dietary habits, and the potential benefits of using whey protein for recovery.

There are other threads dealing with people's dietary preferences so please do not derail this thread with another merry-go-round discussion of diets.

I am talking the merits, or lack of , of whey and other isolated protein powders. I gave my example of diet to show they are not required for the body to thrive.

The whole mindset that one "needs" a recovery drink is to be challenged. You need food, period. Whey protein is not even real food, it's an isolated waste product of cheese making. Does anyone say to themselves .... "I'm really looking forward to my protein goop after my ride .... it just tastes so good"? If they do .... they have no taste buds! . . . and if you think you must take it like "medicine" .. regardless of taste .... they you've lost your sense of what's good for you. We don't need to "put up" with anything that doesn't feel good.

Do we truly believe the body is not wise enough to know what to do with real food ..... that we need some "special" formula to quicken our recovery from activity? Sales marketing says yes. Wisdom says otherwise.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I had a choc milk recovery drink amino acid thingie as I happened to see it on my way back from a ride...

...I know it's subjective but I really can't argue that the legs don't feel like I rode yesterday...

In fact it's not that subjective as I completely forgot I'd drunk it seeing this thread reminded me. SO I guess it's not a load of rubbish to just sell you moar stuff.

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Carmichael (Lance's coach) says a 7:1 carb:protein ration is better (yes, over 4:1).

Lance's coach was an Italian guy with the same name as a famous car maker.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
veganrob said:
What kind of beer goes good with bacon? Hmm. It will depend somewhat on the bacon also. Canadian bacon or the belly kind.
Hope I am not giving you more to confuse but it had to be asked. Let me know how that works out, eh.:D

I do it Hungarian style, zsíros kenyér, belly bacon cut in cubes, roasted over open flame, drip fat on fresh baked bread, when it's cooked slice the bacon up with green peppers and onions onto the bread. I'm eating this currently with Upslope Pale Ale brewed in the pretentious Yippyville of Boulder Colorado.. Best recovery ever!!! :D

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I do it Hungarian style, zsíros kenyér, belly bacon cut in cubes, roasted over open flame, drip fat on fresh baked bread, when it's cooked slice the bacon up with green peppers and onions onto the bread. I'm eating this currently with Upslope Pale Ale brewed in the pretentious Yippyville of Boulder Colorado.. Best recovery ever!!! :D

pics are always nice. I remember this from the wooly pigs:D

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=190891&postcount=160

I know Cadel has cut out the dairy to drop weight and breathe easier due to less allergenic lactose in the system.

I love it when people say 'you dont get enough protein as a vegan' then they tell me I need to eat animals AND use a protein supp if Im training like I already have been for the last decade lol!

Whey? Say NO WHEY! ;)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
durianrider said:
I know Cadel has cut out the dairy to drop weight and breathe easier due to less allergenic lactose in the system.

I love it when people say 'you dont get enough protein as a vegan' then they tell me I need to eat animals AND use a protein supp if Im training like I already have been for the last decade lol!

Whey? Say NO WHEY! ;)

Yeah sure, I didn't make it to the top of the food chain to settle on veggies and fruits alone.
Heck, I was born with a pork chop in my hand!!! :D

TRENDING THREADS