• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which is The Best Bike Under 500??

Re:

Jspear said:
I don't think they'll respond back...seems like spam to me. If it was urgent then they'd have been back by now to interact.
This was my first thought when the thread opened, for a number of reasons.

Some spammers typically 'groom' the forum with benign comments for a small period of time and then they hit us with their advertisements when they think we won't notice.

It's a ridiculous business model that don't work very well on this forum because we usually stomp the spam (and spammers) pretty fast.

I'll leave it open though as it's a legitimate question but sadly I don't anticipate anyone returning for a response.

If it's sterling or US dollars at that price all I can say is DONT GO FOR FULL SUS! You'll get real equipment for your money if look more towards hard tails. Also, you'll probably get decent cable disc brakes or hydraulics. Just make sure the fork is from a trusted brand and not a cheap no name thing.

In the UK take a look at Merlin, Evans Sale or Boardmans in a sale. There's good stuff out there.

Re: Re:

mrmarkroper said:
red_flanders said:
Try this: http://mountainbikereviewed.com/best-mountain-bikes-under-500-review/

I see a lot of Diamond Back bikes in similar reviews.

You can also check this type of bike also...
<Link removed by mods>
:razz: :) :razz: :)
Posting a link to your first post is a red flag to me but not against the rules, especially in this thread where I've disapproved numerous "first comments" by others for doing exactly the same thing. You may have honestly linked a website to your comment because you saw that Red_flanders did it too, but he's posted thousands of comments previously with none of them being considered spam, your post, on the other hand, could be considered spam.

You're welcome to post comments to our forum, but show me your not a spammer before linking websites to your first comments, please.

I'm gonna reawaken this thread as I am looking to start up with a bit of off roading but not to the extreme of racing, just for enjoyment with my son. Looking around the £500 - £600 mark to start off with. Been look at the Bergamont Revox 5 and the Focus whistler 3.6. It seems crazy that there is next to nothing to buy online at the moment, sick of seeing "out of stock" unless I'm willing to spend stupid money. Are either of the 2 bikes mentioned ok for a newbie? Thanks.

I've just turned 50 so I ain't gonna try any stuff that gonna make me struggle to get back on the bike if I come off and injure myself. Light stuff, gravel/dirt track no mega roots and rocks, I can handle small stuff but no extreme bouncing around giving my balls a shattering.

I've just turned 50 so I ain't gonna try any stuff that gonna make me struggle to get back on the bike if I come off and injure myself. Light stuff, gravel/dirt track no mega roots and rocks, I can handle small stuff but no extreme bouncing around giving my balls a shattering.

Cool. Most bikes around this price are pretty similar. The main choice is whether you want a suspension fork or not. They’re not terrible but they are heavy, don’t have much adjustment and tend to fall down when you’re hitting lots of bumps in succession. If it’s really gravel roads/tracks etc. I would suggest a rigid forked bike with big tyres running lower psi. This’ll mop up the smaller, more consistent bumps better than a cheap fork. Where are you located? Country can determine what to suggest. There’s also the issue of bikes being in very short supply at the moment.

Either of the bikes you mention will work, but how well obviously depends so a lot on the rider and terrain.

Trying to enter a new bike for myself and wife, we are really beginners but looking for something street to paths not radical trails now really for exercise, I can hail on my bike rack on the car, I'm 5'7 and also the spouse is 5'4 years since my last motorcycle and recommendations are good.
Price range $300-$500 per bicycle

Thank you

... we are really beginners but looking for something street to paths ...
------------------------------------------------
It seems that you and your wife are trying to determine whether bicycle riding is enjoyable for you. And if you do find it enjoyable, then the next step is choosing bikes that would be most appropriate for you.

One option is to find very inexpensive bikes (in reliable riding condition) that would be adequate for flat 'streets and paths'. Riding those bikes for a while (about 1 month) would be enough for you to learn if you enjoy the activity.

I have several bikes, and one of them is an old 'single speed coaster brake, department store type' - that bike is completely satisfactory for flat street and paths - and I have even used it on flat 100 mile rides. I bought that bike in used condition, and paid very little for it.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS