• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which riders will be affected the most by the Corona-crisis?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Airline, Hospitality and travel industry are probably going to suffer a lot. So any sponsorship from those would close and any teams that are having major contributors may shutdown entirely
That is the other phase of this pandemic that needs to me analyzed.
We are yet to see the economic impact from this in the cycling community but I won't be surprise if some of them just cut ties with cycling.

I really don't know about Quintana guys, He has occasionally looked really really strong in preperation races in the past too just to disappoint when it mattered. I mean was he really climbing any better in Paris Nice this year than last?

Generally I guess it's simply mostly the older riders. Froome might be robbed of a fantastic comeback story, Nibali of his last shot at grand tour, olympic and world championship glory (although tbf, I think the WC might still very well take place), Gilbert of his final chance to go for the 5th monument and so on.
Another one who straight up came to my mind was Dumoulin. Now, he isn't extremely old yet, but if the tour doesn't go ahead as planned (which I expect) a guy who has been praised as the guy to dethrone skineos at the tour for years now will possibly get his first clean shot at doing so at 30 years of age.

With the exception of riders likely in their last year or on the edge of retiring/losing a contract, it's not good. But frankly for everyone else it's probably neutral. It's a very long season, and for someone who aims to peak on and off for 9 months like, say Alaphilippe, having an enforced month or 2 rest will only help. Silver linings and all that.

It also depends on who can ride outside and who can't.

I really don't know about Quintana guys, He has occasionally looked really really strong in preperation races in the past too just to disappoint when it mattered. I mean was he really climbing any better in Paris Nice this year than last?

Generally I guess it's simply mostly the older riders. Froome might be robbed of a fantastic comeback story, Nibali of his last shot at grand tour, olympic and world championship glory (although tbf, I think the WC might still very well take place), Gilbert of his final chance to go for the 5th monument and so on.
Another one who straight up came to my mind was Dumoulin. Now, he isn't extremely old yet, but if the tour doesn't go ahead as planned (which I expect) a guy who has been praised as the guy to dethrone skineos at the tour for years now will possibly get his first clean shot at doing so at 30 years of age.
Agreed with your viewpoint about Quintana. I also do not buy into this season being significantly different from all the other seasons where his early season form has also been great.

Theoretically, Gilbert is one of the biggest losers because of the race cancellations, but if we actually look realistically on what kind of race Milan-San Remo is and then consider the kind of rider Gilbert has become in his late career, then I am 99,9% convinced that he would never win the race, anyways. I am inclined to say that the same applies to Chris Froome. I do not really see him as a potential Tour winner anymore.

Also, Tom Dumoulin is not a bigger loser in this game than many other cyclists. In fact, with his bad start to the season, I'd say he may stand to profit relatively from the cancellations.

TRENDING THREADS