• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which riders will be affected the most by the Corona-crisis?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In all seriousness I think that Valverde will suffer the most, as despite being able to - hopefully - keep training, at his age to stop racing for an extended period will take that edge off him I believe. Without racing at all this year, I don't see him racing at the front end of the peloton next season.

On form, Quintana loses out as has been mentioned. Though some have made the point that his early season form hasn't always translated to the GT's. Still, at least his confidence would have been up.

Riders who only raced sparingly last season - such as Dumoulin - also probably are affected more than most by this situation.

In all seriousness I think that Valverde will suffer the most, as despite being able to - hopefully - keep training, at his age to stop racing for an extended period will take that edge off him I believe. Without racing at all this year, I don't see him racing at the front end of the peloton next season.

On form, Quintana loses out as has been mentioned. Though some have made the point that his early season form hasn't always translated to the GT's. Still, at least his confidence would have been up.

Riders who only raced sparingly last season - such as Dumoulin - also probably are affected more than most by this situation.

Except it might be the opposite. He said today that with this layoff he just might extend his career another year.

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
First name came into my mind has been tiesj benoot. He put decent performance in Paris-Nice and looked promising for the remainder part of the season. Old guns like valverde, nibali who are racing against time also affected in a bad manner.

CCC Team seems to be in trouble. CCC has announced they will withdraw their sponsorship of the cycling teams.

View: https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1245987066254708736
Bad news and the WT teams will be the least affected, the big ones will survive. It's gonna be carnage on the pct level, ct level and in the u23 ranks with companies pulling out left and right. The French pct teams should be fine, but it's gonna be brutal for Italian and Spanish cycling on all levels.

It appears the U-23 teams should be able to survive. I've seen a report where some U-23 teams are saying that they will keep their riders aging out for one more year and are hoping they can get some of the races to allow 24 years to race to due to this season being non existent.

I could see more than just 2-3 WT teams in trouble before the end of this season and a heavy price at the Pro Conti level. Was reading a report out of Spain that they could easily lose two of their 3 pro conti teams.

Mentally, I think those most affected are those who can't get out (to train). I mean… Landa?
And according to Naesen the French riders are going nuts. Though, as I've seen mentioned a couple of times; those who have a house with a garden are definitely luckier than those who are holed up in a flat in the city.
I'm actually surprised there aren't more riders volunteering as couriers, the way Martinelli is. Not only does it have the function of helping people, and I'm sure that's Martinelli's primary reason, it's also a good excuse to get out and ride.

TRENDING THREADS