• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which Teams for World Tour next year?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Well after Geox have pulled out, and taking into account the UCI press release at the start of the month, it looks like it is between 1t4i, GreenEdge, FDJ and AG2R for the final 2 spots.

Euskaltel, Lotto, Katusha, Garmin and Movistar are teams I can't see falling out.

Based on Nicosix's list 1t4i are not in contention for a license. 22nd place when you take out Geox, although Geox's demise might change things. I think there is clearly 18 top teams with a clear break back to 19th onwards. I would give licenses to, in the same order as points list on Nicosix's site,
RadioShack Nissan Trek
BMC
Sky
Garmin
Rabobank
Liquigas
Lampre
Quickstep
Movistar
Vacansoleil
Saxo Bank
Katusha
Astana
Greenedge
Lotto
Ag2r
FDJ
Euskaltel

Luke Schmid said:
Based on Nicosix's list 1t4i are not in contention for a license. 22nd place when you take out Geox, although Geox's demise might change things. I think there is clearly 18 top teams with a clear break back to 19th onwards. I would give licenses to, in the same order as points list on Nicosix's site,
RadioShack Nissan Trek
BMC
Sky
Garmin
Rabobank
Liquigas
Lampre
Quickstep
Movistar
Vacansoleil
Saxo Bank
Katusha
Astana
Greenedge
Lotto
Ag2r
FDJ
Euskaltel

Well, there are very few points (6p) between Europcar in 19th and 1t4i in 22nd so if there are any late recruitments that we haven't heard about then there can still be changes in what 2 teams get to go to the comission along with the 16th-18th teams that look more secure. Those 6 points are also within the margin of error if there is an error in the calculations compared to UCIs own official list.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I hope 1T4i get in, much more exciting team to watch in the Pro Tour than AG2R or FDJ (who are always out for camera time, but nowhere at the finish) put Kittel and his new lead out super-train in and you will see some exciting racing and a lot of Kittel/Cav duels

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Could be a big shake up now Geox have dropped out: will be very important who gets Menchov, Cobo, Sohrabi, Vrecer, Kump etc - those with some handy points.

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
ingsve said:
Well, there are very few points (6p) between Europcar in 19th and 1t4i in 22nd so if there are any late recruitments that we haven't heard about then there can still be changes in what 2 teams get to go to the comission along with the 16th-18th teams that look more secure. Those 6 points are also within the margin of error if there is an error in the calculations compared to UCIs own official list.

Perhaps I am not looking at the latest list but there is a lot more difference than 6 points on the list I am looking at. Even if 1t4i make the top 20 I think they are still quite a bit weaker than any of the teams I listed. Geox was a lot stronger than Europcar, Cofidis, 1t4i and Colnalgo who in my view are irrelevancies barring some very strong signings. There was a clear top 19 in my view before Geox collapsed and now there is a clear top 18.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
True but I would have expected some of them to have jumped ship already - rumours had already started about Geox not sponsoring the team when they failed to provide funds for 1st deadline back in September so the wise ones would have tried to get into one of the teams that had registered as their existing contracts was subject to protour status and so they were free to sign a new contract after 5th October when UCI announced the list.

As for Cobo - can't see any protour teams taking a chance on him specially Saxo bank - they already have a question mark on Contador would they risk a 2nd question mark?

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Cobo punched way above his ability at Vuelta so for me he is a walking time bomb ala Rico!

As for BMC - they are a heavy team, perhaps too heavy! Reminds me of Chelsea football team of a few years ago.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Mondrian said:
Cobo punched way above his ability at Vuelta so for me he is a walking time bomb ala Rico!

As for BMC - they are a heavy team, perhaps too heavy! Reminds me of Chelsea football team of a few years ago.

oh man. just stupid.

again cobo was always talented. if anyone was 'punching' above thier weight this vuelta try the guy who had done nothing before the race. But i suppose speaking English makes it impossible for him not to be clean.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
oh man. just stupid.

again cobo was always talented. if anyone was 'punching' above thier weight this vuelta try the guy who had done nothing before the race. But i suppose speaking English makes it impossible for him not to be clean.

+1

Cobo is a solid climber since 2006 or 2007, every year he gets a solid result in the major cycling races. This year, he was fresh and without much competition in the Vuelta and won it just by attacking in Angliru (and the help of De La Fuente) and hanging on in the 3km of Peña Caborga. A doper.

Froome cames out of nowhere, even helping Wiggins 3/4's of the race he manages to be the fastest to race the Vuelta (losing on time bonuses) and he's a hero.

Came on. Cobo is not a question mark.

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Ah yeah, easy to forget. OT, but I'm shocked that nothing has been done about Ballan yet, and someone even posted the other day that according to a Norwegian site he will be staying at BMC.

BMC pulled him out of 1 Roubaix though - along with Flanders that's the main point of his season.

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
oh man. just stupid.

+1 there. Anglophones are quick to suspect others but not their own. If Froome had been Spanish or Russian there would be questions everywhere. See also Levi Leipheimer's positive test - conveniently forgotten by most anti-doping crusaders.

A

Anonymous

Cult Classics said:
See also Levi Leipheimer's positive test - conveniently forgotten by most anti-doping crusaders.

not totaly true. Several andi doping crusaders spent an awful lot of time and effort getting Levi's positive into the public domain despite a lot of opposition.

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
not totaly true. Several andi doping crusaders spent an awful lot of time and effort getting Levi's positive into the public domain despite a lot of opposition.

Aye but you'll never hear repeated mentions of it in the media like you would with Vinokourov et al, especially TV commentators.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
oh man. just stupid.

Your revisionism is appalling.

And I am not sure how doubting Froome is relevant.

Luke Schmid said:
Perhaps I am not looking at the latest list but there is a lot more difference than 6 points on the list I am looking at. Even if 1t4i make the top 20 I think they are still quite a bit weaker than any of the teams I listed. Geox was a lot stronger than Europcar, Cofidis, 1t4i and Colnalgo who in my view are irrelevancies barring some very strong signings. There was a clear top 19 in my view before Geox collapsed and now there is a clear top 18.

Ya, my mistake. I was looking at the column that hadn't added the team specific points. If you look at the total points then yes the difference is bigger.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Mondrian said:

Comparing a rider that hasn't had any doping allegations other than the team's he's ridden for with Ricco is going beyond stretching it. He's proven in the past that he could compete with the best in a grand tour. Many proclaim that this was an extremely weak Vuelta field and now when there is a supposed surprise winner they want to call in question the integrity of his victory. Sad.:(

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Your revisionism is appalling.

And I am not sure how doubting Froome is relevant.

I could care less what appalls you.

It is just ridiculous how often Spanish riders and such always get labelled as dopers, and froome is an obvious comparison -I'm not even trying to cast my doubt on him- as he was the main competition at the vuelta.
It is just funny that one guy gets constantly labelled and the other is never mentioned (I realize the clinic is a different situation) when their respected progress margin and history would point to the latter.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
It is just funny that one guy gets constantly labelled and the other is never mentioned (I realize the clinic is a different situation) when their respected progress margin and history would point to the latter.

As much as I agree with this, this forum isn't the right place to discuss it. Nor more please you guys.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Luke Schmid said:

Take the top 15, add Euskaltel, AG2R and FDJ and you've got the World Tour teams.

Skil perhaps in a few years, when they have completely evolved into a German team.

TRENDING THREADS