• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which Teams for World Tour next year?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sorry for the delay, I hadn't seen your post before.

Actually, no the only thing Kristoff got from his trip to China was 1 WT point in the 2nd stage. Since he jumped from 197th place to 186th it doesn't change anything for him

Katusha got 5 points from Galimzyanov's win + 2 points from getting him to 128th place. They are still behind Lotto

If you want the new updated ranking

http://nicosix.wordpress.com/category/cyclisme/classements-2012/classement-equipes-2012/

Sky jumped to 3rd place due to Cav and Eisel recruitment

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Quite like to see another French team in. One seems too few... France might not be the top nation in cycling these days but still. Europcar hopefully. Also having one more French team in it probably increases the chances of a non-French wildcard in the Tour, as we didn't get one this year.

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Cult Classics said:
Quite like to see another French team in. One seems too few... France might not be the top nation in cycling these days but still. Europcar hopefully. Also having one more French team in it probably increases the chances of a non-French wildcard in the Tour, as we didn't get one this year.

I think Ag2r and FDJ should get licenses, they are clearly in the top 18 teams in terms of strength. Of the top twenty teams on Nicosix's list and unless there is some very good signings I would not give a license to Cofidis or Geox. It is close between Geox and EE in terms of strength but I like EE better so they get the last license. Europcar is just outside the top 20 so might be able to make the top 20 displacing Cofids but I would not give them a license anyway. I do not believe they are strong enough despite having two stars in Voeckler and Rolland.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
According to cycling news Cobo has not signed a contract yet so his points should not be included in Geox - besides since the team failed to register at the first hurdle riders can walk to other teams - same goes for Garmin-Cervelo & Liquigas. Given current economic conditions which are particularly dire in Spain, Italy and USA, many teams will have a hard time convincing sponsors to part with their money and i assume that has been the problem for these teams so expect some major changes to the published tables - furthermore geox will also have to satisfy UCI on ethical grounds too and Cobo punching way above his ability would not have gone down well with the ethics police!

With just one day to go and maybe some surprising transfers to come, here is what the ranking looks like :

1 RadioShack 1575
2 BMC 1463
3 Sky 1213
4 Rabobank 1035
5 Garmin 1010
6 Liquigas 910
7 Lampre 822
8 Vacansoleil 787
10 Quickstep 779
9 Movistar 778
11 Saxo Bank 698
12 Astana 675
13 Green Edge 668
14 Lotto 591
15 Geox - TMC 590
16 Katusha 589
17 Ag2r 531
18 FDJ 530
19 Euskaltel 457
20 Europcar 349
21 Cofidis 346
22 Colnago - CSF 307
23 Skil 293
24 Saur - Sojasun 215
25 Androni 201

Team Ranking

On the blog final WT, ET and U23 rankings are also up to date

If my calculation is correct Lotto should get the last spot in the top 15 (depending if they really have signed Van Leijen or not)

12 Katusha 684
13 Astana 675
14 Green Edge 667
15 Lotto 599
16 Ag2R 594
17 Geox 590
18 FDJ 530
19 Euskaltel 457
20 Europcar 349
21 Cofidis 336

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Lotto will get a slot anyway, they have one of the 4-5 best sprinters, one of the 7-8 best gc guys and bunch of solid classics guys, also Ag2R is gonna/would get a wild card simply for being the best french team and cause they had a great season. For the other 2 spots, there is obviously not much love for Giannetis team at the UCI, they didnt get in last year when they were 16th and had a very popular leader/former Tour winner in Sastre. I guess they will give the wcs to FDJ and Euskaltel, they are both known forces, Euskaltel might not be visible at 1/2 of the WT races but i doubt the UCI is cheeky enough to give all 3 wcs to french teams.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
EE guys weren't very popular at the tour (kept falling off their bikes) on the other hand Cofidis had an excellent tour so cant see them dropping the likes of Moncoutie & Dumoulin or the new U23 world champion Démare - what would the french say?

A

Anonymous

Nicosix said:
If my calculation is correct Lotto should get the last spot in the top 15 (depending if they really have signed Van Leijen or not)

12 Katusha 684
13 Astana 675
14 Green Edge 667
15 Lotto 599
16 Ag2R 594
17 Geox 590
18 FDJ 530
19 Euskaltel 457
20 Europcar 349
21 Cofidis 336

Worth bearing in mind that in conversation with JV the other week it came out that the "sporting ranking" isnt based purely on WT results. It also takes on board results from other races, green jerseys, young rider classifications, and pretty much whatever else the UCI want to include.

That "sporting ranking" isnt then made publicly available.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Mondrian said:
.......... Given current economic conditions which are particularly dire in Spain, Italy and USA, many teams will have a hard time convincing sponsors to part with their money and i assume that has been the problem for these teams ..............

I think this is very true. For example Discovery dropped being a team sponsor when a new CEO came in (one of several major cost cutting measures he implemented).

The UCI needs to rethink the world tour - teams should be able to set up a race schedule that fits the needs of their sponsors - for example why should a sponsor have to pay to race in China, the USA, or Australia if the sponsor does not do business there?

Do we even need a pro tour status title? - this is only a recent innovation - let promoters pick the teams for their races.

TeamSkyFans said:
Worth bearing in mind that in conversation with JV the other week it came out that the "sporting ranking" isnt based purely on WT results. It also takes on board results from other races, green jerseys, young rider classifications, and pretty much whatever else the UCI want to include.

You haven't been reading this thread and other like it have you? Nicosix's ranking that you see here is based on the "sporting ranking" rules and it does already include the things you mention. While the UCI doesn't publish the ranking itself the points scales for it are widely known by now and Nicosix and others have done calculations based on those point scales.

TeamSkyFans said:

Lol!!!!
You haven't been paying attention.

The sporting criteria is exactly what I have been calculating for the past two months and adjusting with all transfers and results.

You really need to check my blog ;)

A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
You haven't been reading this thread and other like it have you? Nicosix's ranking that you see here is based on the "sporting ranking" rules and it does already include the things you mention. While the UCI doesn't publish the ranking itself the points scales for it are widely known by now and Nicosix and others have done calculations based on those point scales.

ok, didnt know he was taking that on board. From what vaughters said it seems like the UCI make it up to be honest..

TeamSkyFans said:
ok, didnt know he was taking that on board. From what vaughters said it seems like the UCI make it up to be honest..

Nah, it's not that complicated really. Simply put riders gets points for any professional win from WT down to X.2 (and 2nd and 3rd in GT) and certain points based on their place in the final WT ranking, final continental rankings or final U-23 ranking after those rankings have been adjusted to count all riders no matter what level they ride at.

On top of that teams also get points for coming top 3 in Team Classifications and also each day they defend a jersey in the major tours. These last points only count for the team and no specific rider.

Well after Geox have pulled out, and taking into account the UCI press release at the start of the month, it looks like it is between 1t4i, GreenEdge, FDJ and AG2R for the final 2 spots.

Euskaltel, Lotto, Katusha, Garmin and Movistar are teams I can't see falling out.

TRENDING THREADS