• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who deserves the Vélo d'Or the most so far?

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who deserves to win the Vélo d'Or the most so far?

• Peter Sagan

Votes: 134 77.0%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 28 16.1%
  • Greg van Avermaet

Votes: 12 6.9%

• Total voters
Mr.White said:
Brullnux said:
Mr.White said:
Echoes said:
Both Froome and Quintana started the Olympic race with ambition. That route was a perfect balance, not too mountainous for heavyweight Van Avermaet and not too punchy/flat for them being lightweight. Actually it suited them better than it suited Greg. Yet Greg crushed them like I crush a spider. So I guess that settles it. You cannot blame Greg for being too heavyweight for the real mountain stuff. Every rider races according to their morphology.

If Greg climbs better than Sagan, which was not the case a few years ago, it's because the latter unexplainably gained severel pounds of muscle mass during the off-season, making sure he cannot climb anymore like used to. A bit like Bettini could no longer climb like used to in the midst of his career.

Greg Van Avermaet deserved his Olympic Gold. He rode great race, brilliant. But he didn't crushed anybody, in fact I could argue that he was pretty lucky. First, he was lucky there was a crash in penultimate descent from Vista Chinesa, peloton split and some strong riders were caught behind (Purito, Alaphilippe, Froome, Valverde, Martin, etc). Riders who would certainly play big role at Vista Chinesa ascent. Second, he was very, very lucky that Nibali and Henao crashed. He wouldn't get any medal if this two stayed on their bikes. So to summarize, he was a well deserved winner, but he was far from strongest, and he certainly didn't crushed anybody

I heard from Nibali that there was no crash, or at least Aru escaped and Nibali bridged halfway down the mountain. The crash didn't really split the peloton I don't think, and if it did it was possible to get back on.

Porte and one more rider crashed (I don't remember who), and Spaniards (Valverde) and Brits (Froome) stated that was the main reason for split in the peloton, if I remember correctly...

Yeah that's what I remember too. Then again, they knew it was a dangerous descent and positioned themselves too far down in the peloton. Bad luck, yes, but not unavoidable. Nibali Ala and Thomas all crashed because took a risk too many. Only henao's crash can be attributed purely to bad luck

No reason to change my mind. A victory after a whole day of wheelsucking is no victory whatever the name of the race is and whatever jersey you might wear afterwards.

Was quite stupid to have seen the race actually while I swore to myself I would boycott. Probably a bit deceived by the Belgian offensive but a bit naive, it was just unlikely to prevail ...

Echoes said:
No reason to change my mind. A victory after a whole day of wheelsucking is no victory whatever the name of the race is and whatever jersey you might wear afterwards.

Was quite stupid to have seen the race actually while I swore to myself I would boycott. Probably a bit deceived by the Belgian offensive but a bit naive, it was just unlikely to prevail ...

Boohoo.

Echoes said:

Oh cry me a river.. this is going to seem foolish in years to come when you're bragging about how lucky you were to having seen this guy race.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Mr.White said:
Best season by a single rider in years, on par with Gilbert 2011 imo, maybe even better...

It's better than Gilbert's season. Of course Phil had the bad luck to have a terrible route for the WC that year.

Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
Miburo said:
Mr.White said:
Best season by a single rider in years, on par with Gilbert 2011 imo, maybe even better...

It's better, Gilbert won only 2 really important races: LBL and the tour stage

Boonen in 2005 was better though:

Ronde, Roubaix, 2 Tour stages and the WC.
I don't think so. Depends on how you rate Roubaix vs GW, Montreal, Euro's, 1 Tour stage, and a green jersey, as well as the way of racing.

El Pistolero said:
Miburo said:
Mr.White said:

The thing which makes Sagan's season so sick IMO aren't his wins though. Just to remind you before his first win of the season he already had 2nd places in E3, Omloop, Tirreno gc and numerous stages. Hell, who knows what would have happened in PR or MSR if he hadn't had bad luck. Tbf I'm still young but in the time I watch cycling I have never seen a season of someone, which was anywhere close to this.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
Yeah Boonen was much better. 2011 Gilbert had a strange aura around him though.

You're right about the aura, he almost won the Ronde too (and MSR). If he did then his season easily surpassed that of Boonen and Sagan.

But he didn't.

Red Rick said:
El Pistolero said:
Miburo said:
Mr.White said:

I don't think so. Depends on how you rate Roubaix vs GW, Montreal, Euro's, 1 Tour stage, and a green jersey, as well as the way of racing.
Boonen also won E3 in 2015, but I generally agree with you. I can't really say which seasons I rate higher

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Miburo said:
Brullnux said:

You're right about the aura, he almost won the Ronde too (and MSR). If he did then his season easily surpassed that of Boonen and Sagan.

But he didn't.
Gilbert wasn't close of winning flanders 2011.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
Miburo said:
Mr.White said:

Gilbert's 2011 is always a bit overrated to me. It's impressive, yes, but nowhere near a Roubaix Flanders double. Amstel and FW are "wait until the last moment to attack" races which don't have much of a tactical wrinkle to them. 2009 was a cool year because it's rare for a cyclist to succeed in both Il Lombardia and the Ronde, not say its better just it is interesting.

Cancellara's 2010 where he won the double+ WC TT is incredibly impressive, too. That, and Contador's 08 double.

Echoes said:

Yeah, he bridged to the group by himself while wheelsucking all day. Seriously, can you just crawl in a corner and start crying there?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

portugal11 said:
Miburo said:
Brullnux said:

But he didn't.
Gilbert wasn't close of winning flanders 2011.

Yea he was xD