• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is/are your favorite user(s) on this forum?

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

The Hitch said:
Username?

10 c

elizab

She has a lot of respect from me. Not that it means much.

She has stuck to her guns when it would have been soooo easy to fold her tent.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
oh man forgot about this thing, truth to tell I didn't wanna do it anymore after craig. :(

anyway regarding the actual meaning of this thread, I like all the regular posters here. Ferminal of the top of my head is one of my favorite.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
gustienordic said:
The Hitch
Ryo when he is going off on someone
ACF

Everyones favorite Bertie fangirl is right up there though!
Why thank you, but I would rather be above Ryo!:D
Zam_Olyas said:
That cycling fan from australia and laflo are on my list.
Thanks, zam! Maybe I should be a little bit tougher on you when you say 'oh c'? :D

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
oh man forgot about this thing, truth to tell I didn't wanna do it anymore after craig. :(

anyway regarding the actual meaning of this thread, I like all the regular posters here. Ferminal of the top of my head is one of my favorite.
Including me?:eek:

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Polish.

Free Polish, please !
He\She\It became essential for my life.
Pure, proven quality. For free !
You are ruining my life, you mods. Really.

3 months :rolleyes: :(
Come on. Make it 1.5 months, please. Otherwise I will have to die a very slow and painful death. Perhaps even multiple deaths.
I give my life and smile into your hands.

PS:
btw, "Hi" to all you freaks. :D
It has been a while.
Hi, Chris. I see you are still holding the Stellung toughly.
Welcome back, ChewieTFF.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Polish.

Free Polish, please !

No
sad.gif

again...............thanks! to everyone posting on the forum it's good to read alternative ideas about issues in cycling

no favourite posters yet

but posters with dodgy avatars put me off

sorry! to point fingers but chrise thehog + thehitch spring to mind..........just a personal thing

+ much better to see posters with unique customised avatars / no famous people

yes! in time polish will be back.................he does seem to be marginally less annoying over at velonews currently

ebandit said:
again...............thanks! to everyone posting on the forum it's good to read alternative ideas about issues in cycling

no favourite posters yet

but posters with dodgy avatars put me off

sorry! to point fingers but chrise and thehitch spring to mind..........just a personal thing

+ much better to see posters with unique customised avatars / no famous people

yes! in time polish will be back.................he does seem to be marginally less annoying over at velonews currently

You just made chriE very happy

Hey guys! :D Someone requested a race!

Circuit de Douleur – Mountains, 304 KM

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen and everyone else, to the gruelling race ‘the Circuit de la Douleur’. In this race the riders will have to climb no less than 10 climbs, ending with the fearsome Col de la Décès, an HC climb of 50 KM, with an average gradient of 15 and peaking at 25 at its steepest spots.

Before reaching this challenge the riders will be going over 4 other HC climbs, 3 cat. 1 climbs and 2 cat. 2 climbs.

In fact only the 1 KM neutral zone at the beginning of the race will be on actual flat road.

As soon as the riders leave the neutral zone they’ll start climbing the day’s first HC climb.

And they’re off. Riding through the neutral zone, clearly not looking too much forward to the day ahead.

The weather today is absolutely amazing; the sun shining from a clear blue sky. For now...

The flag has just been dropped.

AND THERE’S AN ATTACK! We’ll see if we can identify the lone rider.

IT’S LIBERTINE! Now THAT was a surprise. Is he going to attempt a Poli?

No! He’s turning around at a side-road. Have to say it IS rather weird that this guy was even at the start, considering that he makes Cipollini look like a world-class climber.

Back in the peloton everyone is taking it easy.

Libertine and his DS are arguing wildly but now Libertine is getting into the car, the race is over for him!

AND THERE’S ANOTHER ATTACK! It’s Alpe d’Huez who just sat a blistering pace and broke free from the bunch.

Zoncolan follows.

So does Angliru.

Back in the peloton it’s ACF who sends his team forward to chase.

It’s to no avail, though, as our mountainous trio has already created an advantage of about a minute.

All the time while this has been going on the riders have been climbing the first cat. 2 climb of today’s race. It’s 13 k long, and it has an average gradient of 7, so it’s one of the easier climbs...

Our front-trio is nearing the top.

Angliru was first over the top, closely followed by Alpe and then Zoncolan.

Now the three riders begin the 16 k decent.

1:30 after the peloton makes it to the top, still with ACFs team at the front.

As soon as the riders reach the bottom of this decent they’ll be starting the first HC climb of the race.

Back in the peloton T-L-R has just attacked on the decent and managed to create a small gap.

But he’s caught again...

For this climb the peloton has managed to stay pretty much together, with the few being dropped already getting back up on the decent.

And the break has already begun the next climb, this HC climb is 28 k long, and has an average gradient of 10 percent, with the steepest section of 17 percent. This should create some gaps down in the peloton!

Now the peloton is starting the climb as well.

And true enough, several riders are dropped almost instantly!

At the front Angliru is attacking his two breakaway comrades and manages to create a small gap.

He’s now solo in the front with a small gap of 10 seconds over his former companions

Back in the main group it’s total chaos, with riders being pretty much all over the climb!

ElChingon seems to be having the biggest problems of all.

The “main group” is already down to around 50 riders, out of the 200 who started. And it’s only going to get smaller!

Angliru has just reached the top.

50 seconds later Alpe and Zoncolan crosses the top.

This decent is the fastest of the race. It’s 40 k and has long sections of over 10 percent!

And true enough; Angliru is reaching speeds of 100 KpH!

This also means that his gap to Alpe and Zoncolan is increasing.

Now what’s left of the main bunch has just crossed the top. 4:08 after Angliru.

When Angliru reaches the bottom he’ll be riding for 12 k on a stretch of what is without doubts the flattest section not counting the neutral zone. It only has a gradient of 1...

We’ve just heard that ElChingon is out of the race.

Angliru has just reached the flat part.

THERE’S A CRASH!!!! Cobblestoned just flew over the barrier and into the woods below. The ambulance crew is hurrying down to him, so it would appear that’s the end of the race for him.

1 minute after Angliru made it down to the flat Alpe and Zoncolan also makes it. Perhaps they will have a small advantage from being two.

True enough; Angliru’s lead is slowly dwindling.

In the meantime Angliru has begun the next climb of the day. This is the without doubt easiest climb of the day; a cat. 2 climb of just 7 k and an average of 5 percent.

46 seconds after Angliru Alpe and Zoncolan begins the climb.

We’ve just heard words that no less than 10 riders decided to quit going up the HC climb!

And the “main group” (we need a better definition of that group) has just reached the flat. 5:30 after Angliru crossed.

Alpe and Zoncolan has just caught Angliru. So now we have a trio in the front again.

They’ve reached the top and begun the very short, 5 k decent down to the base of the first cat. 1 climb of today.

This climb is 17 k long with an average gradient of 12 percent.

Mind you there are STILL riders who haven’t reached the top of the HC climb!

THERE’S BEEN ANOTHER CRASH ON THE DECENT FROM THE HC CLIMB! This time it’s RedheadDane who goes directly into a solid rock-face. This doesn’t look good and she’s clearly unconscious!

In case you were wondering the front trio HAS indeed begun the cat. 1 climb.

They seem to be working rather well together, for now...

We’re back at RedheadDane. She’s regained consciousness and is now sitting on the ground with a loopy grin on her face, not noticing the blood dripping down her eyes.

A doctor is helping her to the ambulance. Not an easy task as the Ginger Viking is giggling uncontrollable and constantly mumbles something that sounds like “shiny”!

Okay. Enough of that. Our front trio has just crossed the top of the cat. 1 climb and is going down towards the next cat. 1 climb!

This decent is 10 k long!

The climb is only 8 k long. However, it is 20 percent from the bottom to the top!

The group I guess we should refer to as the ‘chase group’ as just begun the first cat. 1 climb, 7:34 after the front.

The front trio has begun the second cat. 2 climb and instantly Zoncolan creates a small gap to his two companions.

He only gets a few seconds though.

Current situation:
In the front Zoncolan. About 4 seconds after him Alpe and Angliru. And about 4 minutes after Zoncolan the remains of the main group, which now counts only about 25 riders. After that group we have riders spread all over the route!

Zoncolan has just reached the top of the climb. Now he gets 2 k of “flat” before starting the second HC climb of the day.

THERE’S AN ATTACK IN THE MAIN GROUP! It’s Zam_Olyas who effortlessly breaks free.

Zoncolan has just begun the HC climb. It’s 17 k with an average of 8 and sections of 12 percent.

3 seconds after Zoncolan Alpe and Angliru begins the climb.

Zam_Olyas has reached the top of the first cat. 1 climb, 7:30 after what was then the front trio crossed.

Zoncolan has just begun the third HC climb of the day. This climb is 25 K, it’s average gradient is 15, but in sections it reaches a whopping 30 percent!

A large group has just reached the bottom of the 20-percent-climb. They look at each other and collectively abandon.

Zoncolan is now on one of the steep sections, he is basically grinding to a halt.

This is allowing Angliru and Alpe to catch up with him.

From now on I’ll concentrate on the front trio. With the nearest chaser (Zam_Olyas) being close to 8 minutes behind it looks more and more clear that the race with be decided between our mountainous trio.

The trio which has just reached the top of the climb. Now it’s a 32 K decent, this is an easy one, not worth describing.

However, there are some difficulties when they reach the bottom. Then they’ll make a 180 degree turn and start the third and last cat. 1 climb of the day. This climb is just 5 K long but it’s 17 percent and it’s on gravel!

The trio is almost at the button of the descent.

ALPE CRASHED WHEN MAKING THE TURN!

Without looking back Angliru quickly attacks and creates a gap to Zoncolan.

He’s already got 10 seconds while Zoncolan is basically standing still.

Alpe is getting back on his bike.

Angliru has crossed the top. Now he begins a short 4 K descent down towards the second-to-last climb of the day.

12 seconds after Angliru it’s Zoncolan who crosses the top.

This climb is 10 K, and it’s never under 15 percent!

Alpe has just crossed the top of the cat. 1 climb. 57 seconds behind Angliru.

Angliru just begun the HC climb.

ZONCOLAN CRASHED ON THE DECENT!

This is allowing Alpe to catch up with up him.

In the front Angliru is just continuing. It LOOKS like he’ll take this.

He has just reached the top.

And as if the Col de la Décès wasn’t bad enough the decent just before is only 3 K long and with such a low gradient (2 percent) that it’s necessary to pedal all the way. Then to make things even more wicked the riders will start the Décès with a 500 metres section of 25 percent.

1:04 after Angliru crossed the top of the second-to-last HC climb Zoncolan and Alpe makes it over the top.

ANGLIRU HAS BEGUN THE DÉCÈS!

Behind him Alpe and Zoncolan seems to have some advantage of being two and have brought the gap down to just 50 seconds. Everything could still happen!

Angliru is almost grinding to a standstill.

HE’S CAUGHT! Now we have a trio in front once more!

They have just passed the 40 K to go banner.

ALPE HAS JUST ATTACKED ON ONE OF THE “FLAT” SECTIONS!

Without much effort Zoncolan counters and brings him back.

There is no cooperation in this group whatsoever!

As soon as he was caught Alpe went to the back, refusing to pull.

This is clearly ****ing off Angliru who is gesturing wildly.

NOT a smart thing to do on a 22 percent section. He just fell over.

Nothing major, he’s already back on the bike. However, he can hardly start and in the meantime Zoncolan and Alpe are disappearing around a corner.

30 to go for the two in front.

Angliru has had to eat his pride and walk to a section where he’ll be able to get on his bike again.

ZONCOLAN JUST ATTACKED ALPE!

A full MINUTE after Alpe and Zoncolan Angliru goes under the 30-to-go banner.

Zoncolan already has a gap of 7 seconds to Alpe.

Current situation:

In the front Zoncolan. 8 seconds after him Alpe and another 58 seconds back Angliru. The rest: No clue!

Zoncolan goes under the 20 K to go banner. And now he’s starting another steep section.

13 seconds after Zoncolan Alpe goes under the banner.

Zoncolan is really struggling now.

Now Angliru goes under the 20 K banner, 1:24 after Angliru.

Apologies for the slow update. Not really much to say with three riders spread out over the last climb and the rest being... God knows where!

10 K left for Zoncolan!

40 seconds after Alpe goes under the banner.

ANGLIRU IS ALREADY AT THE 10-TO-GO BANNER. JUST 1 MINUTE AFTER ZONCOLAN. THIS MEANS THAT HE’S LIMITED HIS LOSSES!

5 K for Zoncolan.

Alpe is still 40 seconds back. By now he should be concentrating about keeping Angliru behind him as catching Zoncolan seems impossible now.

ZONCOLAN HAS JUST GONE UNDER THE FLAME ROGUE!

This looks like a sure victory now. The last K is without doubt the easiest of this climb, it’s “only” 10 percent...

Sure enough. HE TAKES IT!

Winner: Zoncolan 10h 53:27

Alpe has just gone under the Flame Rogue.

He’s slowly but surely getting closer to the line.

100 metres for Alpe.

BUT HERE COMES ANGLIRU!

He just caught Alpe in the last 50 metres, taking second in the race.

Brief Race result:

1: Zoncolan: 10h 53:27
2: Angliru: + ‘59
3: Alpe + 1:02

I would love to continue this live update but as you might have guessed it’ll be a while before anyone else crosses the line. Hope you have enjoyed the race; one thing is for certain: The riders haven’t!

wow!

wow! what stamina from the forum's very own gingerviking

still no favourite forum member but praise to the following for making me laugh

microchip................praise for the master from the apprentice for the wonderful pelotoon thread

krebs303 ..........for so many humorous posts in the free form / chaos thread

Not sure where to ask, but where did scott socal go? I notice his account is done, he just shows up as a 'guest'. Figured I'd ask here as he was a poster I enjoyed, obviously especially in the beer thread...

And every forum needs bad guys as well as good guys, so I want to pay a moment to lament poor Polish, who had one of the most amazing flameout comebacks in any forum I've ever seen... not quite BPC level whenever he finally melted down (I think a year and a half ago?), but Polish was funnier so I give him a bigger tip of the hat.

TRENDING THREADS