• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is the best climber in the world (excluding El Pistolero and Andrew)

Other than Al and Andy. Who is the best climber in the world?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Aww that is such a hard question..
Really doubting between Samu and Gesink, all fanboyism and bad form these days aside from Gesink..

I'll let my fanboyism take the upper hand between those two cause I cant choose, as I have to vote for one :).

I came up with this because I was thinking how I now see that Purito is the second best behind Contador atm, but then realised that Scarponi has been on some improve curve that mirrors Gilbert over the last 2 years - from 2 stages in Giro, to 4th in Giro, TA, 2nd Lombardy, and this season podiuming everything bar MSR where he absolutely owned everyone in the second group and came top 10.

So its between Purito and Scarponi atm though part of my mind is screaming "Cobra!" then theres Anton in jaen and Andorra, and Samu was the best of the rest in the Tour which we could argue was where the title for "best climber other than Contador and Schleck" was fought out. And Frank has impressed me a lot recently.

the others just there to give people the full 10 options of course.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
though part of my mind is screaming "Cobra!"
Knowing what Ricco was doing with stuff that belongs into the clinic it made me feel like an instant no, maybe other gc contesters do clinic stuff too but weren't/arent as obvious as Ricco.

The Hitch said:
Samu was the best of the rest in the Tour which we could argue was where the title for "best climber other than Contador and Schleck" was fought out.
Exactly, I agree on this one. The moment when 'it matters' Samu was there and actually was the best climber behind Andrew and Berty. It kind of gives me the feeling if Samu wants to peak for something he has set his mind on he can contend it when he wants to. So thats why I was doubting between him and Gesink's potential, though he hasnt shown it this year yet. :)

Havetts said:
Knowing what Ricco was doing with stuff that belongs into the clinic it made me feel like an instant no, maybe other gc contesters do clinic stuff too but weren't/arent as obvious as Ricco.

Exactly, I agree on this one. The moment when 'it matters' Samu was there and actually was the best climber behind Andrew and Berty. It kind of gives me the feeling if Samu wants to peak for something he has set his mind on he can contend it when he wants to. So thats why I was doubting between him and Gesink's potential, though he hasnt shown it this year yet. :)

Its weird. He thrashed everyone in GP Miguel Indurain, then was only decent in Vasco winning that stage only because he won it before but sucked bad in tt.

he then came 3rd in FW in what seems to have been again not his best as he didnt do so well in Amstel and ok in liege.

So I have no idea where he is at, just hope he manages to get a similar peak this Tour as last year.

Strangely if you look at the top 10 in this years cq rankings hes already 6th. What has he done, Gp mig a basque stage and disapointment not to make podium in either PN or PV.

By contrast he is beaten only by Goss, Gilbert, Scarponi and kloeden, all of whom are having the season of their lives, and Canc who well we all know what hes been doing.

Below him is 5 wins already Contador, Gesink - another best season so far guy, and Voeckler whos been bringing in the wins big time.

So hes actually going ok.

luckyboy said:
Would've been better to see Anton in the rest of the Vuelta. Haven't remembered him doing really well in the mountains apart from the Vuelta.

Have to wait and see how Gesink goes this year also.

How about winning a mountain stage of the Vuelta back in '06 and being the only person to be able to stay with Contador and Valverde in the '08 one until crashing out?

Yeahright

BANNED
Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
At the moment the position of best climber in the world seems to clearly held by Alberto Contador, followed by Andrew Schleck in second.

Bit if we take out Al and Andy, who is the greatest climber of the rest.

LOL, how can you have a thread asking who is the best climber in the world but then put a qualifier on it by excluding the best two climbers??! Thats just dumb.

Yeahright said:
LOL, how can you have a thread asking who is the best climber in the world but then put a qualifier on it by excluding the best two climbers??! Thats just dumb.

Actually if you read the thread and the question, Al and Andy are eliminated first, then the question is posed.

Everyone else seemed to understand it fine.

think it was hard to choose between Anton and Rodriguez. I think Anton can drop who ever is following him whilst this yr Rodriguez has maybe lost a bit of explosiveness, due to fact he is 32/33. Also he relies solely on his climbing talent which is undisputably great, but maybe not at that level. He has to work on other abillities too. Anyone can be a great climber, Moncoutie who A. Schleck says is the best climber but never achieves results. That is what Rodriguez is becoming. Sorry if i alienate anyone but was just brooching a topic/ line of discussion.

I think good questions to ask would be if Pozzovio, Uran and Sastre should be on that list and who is the best Young climber ( monsalve, santoro ) and who has been the best climber ever, Jimenez, Virenque, Bahamontes, Pantani or Contador.

Basso should not be on the list based on current form, his heyday was in 2004-06 and Gesink needs to show signs he is still a great climber. Also is this based on pure climbers because we could put Cadel in there for his diesel engine.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Would've been better to see Anton in the rest of the Vuelta. Haven't remembered him doing really well in the mountains apart from the Vuelta.

He dropped Contador, Soler and Mosquera last year in CyL in El Morredero... dropped Contador cuz He covered every attack and cooked himself in the process...

greenedge said:
I think good questions to ask would be if Pozzovio, Uran and Sastre should be on that list and who is the best Young climber ( monsalve, santoro ) and who has been the best climber ever, Jimenez, Virenque, Bahamontes, Pantani or Contador.

Young climber ----> Henao as proved more than Monsalve and Sontoro together...
Best Climber ever.... hard desicion... Heras could be in that list too...

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
depends on the climb.

Lets talk about real climbs! anything over 10%...
Also I would add to the post be the best climber every moment... not just 3 weeks...
Dont know why ppl say that Andrew is the 2nd best climber in the world... how many high mountains stage Has He won? How many solo?
You can't be the best only 3 weeks and then sucks all the year... if you are the best you are the best always... maybe you are not going to win every mountain stage but You have to be with the bests...

I've never totally decided my personal list for this... is too hard! but one thing is sure... Contador is the number 1 for me!

Yeahright

BANNED
Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Actually if you read the thread and the question, Al and Andy are eliminated first, then the question is posed.

Everyone else seemed to understand it fine.

Oh I understood it fine as well but that doesn't change the fact that it is a non sequitur and therefore irrelevant. The best climber is the best climber, period. Essentially you are actually asking; "Who is the third best climber in the world?"

Plus the thread title is: "Who is the best climber in the world (excluding El Pistolero and Andrew)" Correct me if I am wrong but to me that poses the question before you eliminate Bertie and Andy not after...You then reverse it on the poll.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Vino's one of the greatest climbers!

Taking into account Vino's great performance in La Fleche Wallone 2011, he might be concidered as one of the purest climbers :):):)

TRENDING THREADS