• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

• Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Eshnar said:
Meh. Purito made it, so why not Hesjedal.
Maybe Purito had the Vuelta as his main target, and arrived at the Giro a bit underdone? To me it seems that he was in better shape at the Vuelta than at the Giro. Again, just a feeling, I don't have the numbers to prove it.

Purito suddenly was a rival to Contador, which he had never been, and which Hesjedal sure as hell hasn't been.

theyoungest said:
Maybe Purito had the Vuelta as his main target, and arrived at the Giro a bit underdone? To me it seems that he was in better shape at the Vuelta than at the Giro. Again, just a feeling, I don't have the numbers to prove it.

Purito suddenly was a rival to Contador, which he had never been, and which Hesjedal sure as hell hasn't been.
And Valverde hasn't been either. So, either both Piti and Purito got a sudden level up
or simply AC was far from being 100% (which is understandable)

Eshnar said:
And Valverde hasn't been either. So, either both Piti and Purito got a sudden level up

Agreed, but purito was imo slightly better than valverde. JR and contador dropped him on ancares and then on Lagos de covadonga they dropped him a number of times and the only reason valverde was ever able to get back on was because contador kept stopping evertime purito got back. Purito also took 20 s or so from piti on bola.

It seems silly saying this for a race where valverde ended up beating rodriguez despite losing 50s unfairly but purito did seem to.me a little bit stronger in the mountains than valverde.

Eshnar said:
AC probably wasn't 100%, but Purito also clearly found a way to respond to his attacks, which he didn't have before. After all, Contador had only been out of business for a few months.

theyoungest said:
AC probably wasn't 100%, but Purito also clearly found a way to respond to his attacks, which he didn't have before. After all, Contador had only been out of business for a few months.
Purito was already being called "in the form of his life" during the Giro. The pre-2012 Rodriguez was never going to do such a race at that level. Surely he had something more during the Vuelta, but only due to the fact that the race was taylor made for him. The 2012 AC would have dropped Purito in a Giro stage, imho. Just like Hesjedal did, to a minor extent. And sure as hell Hesjedal was never gonna beat Purito in that Vuelta. My point is just that we have no evidence that Purito got stronger in between the Giro and Vuelta. We do have hints he got stronger between 2011 and 2012, that's for sure, but nothing else.

Eshnar said:
Purito was already being called "in the form of his life" during the Giro. The pre-2012 Rodriguez was never going to do such a race at that level. Surely he had something more during the Vuelta, but only due to the fact that the race was taylor made for him. The 2012 AC would have dropped Purito in a Giro stage, imho. Just like Hesjedal did, to a minor extent. And sure as hell Hesjedal was never gonna beat Purito in that Vuelta. My point is just that we have no evidence that Purito got stronger in between the Giro and Vuelta. We do have hints he got stronger between 2011 and 2012, that's for sure, but nothing else.
Purito and Hesjedal were more or less equals in the Tour 2010. They were again in the Giro 2012, no surprises there.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

A few months being a whole year or do you think the Tour de San Luis had such a great effect on him?

It's rather obvious why Rodriguez looked so much better than in the Giro. The Vuelta route suited him much better. Hesjedal would've gotten beaten by Rodriguez on the Vuelta route. Can't believe no one mentioned this obvious fact yet lol.

El Pistolero said:
A few months being a whole year or do you think the Tour de San Luis had such a great effect on him?

It's rather obvious why Rodriguez looked so much better than in the Giro. The Vuelta route suited him much better. Hesjedal would've gotten beaten by Rodriguez on the Vuelta route. Can't believe no one mentioned this obvious fact yet lol.
actually I did just 2 posts before you u.u

El Pistolero said:
Can't believe no one mentioned this obvious fact yet lol.

Yeah, cant believe no one mentioned this. Brilliant comprehension skills again Pistrollero

The Hitch said:
yeah but the Vuelta stages were mostly 1 climb where as the Giro stages were longer and harder

My suspicion is that he would have done better than recovering Gesink and tired Froome but still been a little bit behind the 3 caballeros.

Eshnar said:
Surely he had something more during the Vuelta, but only due to the fact that the race was taylor made for him. .

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Then what's the point of this discussion? Hesjedal would've gotten destroyed. Besides Jrod underestimated Hesjedal, he didn't underestimate Valverde and Contador.

Oh and it doesn't really matter if the Giro had longer and multiple mountain stages. They only started racing on the final climb anyway besides one or two stages. It's the type of final mountain and the underestimation of Hesjedal that really mattered. ;)

El Pistolero said:
Then what's the point of this discussion? [1] Hesjedal would've gotten destroyed. Besides Jrod underestimated Hesjedal, he didn't underestimate Valverde and Contador.[2]

Oh and it doesn't really matter if the Giro had longer and multiple mountain stages.[3] They only started racing on the final climb anyway besides one or two stages. It's the type of final mountain and the underestimation of Hesjedal that really mattered. ;)
1 - The point is "Was Purito stronger in the Vuelta,compared to the Giro?"
2 - He did underestimate Hesjedal, sure, but he lost the Vuelta by underestimating Contador.
3 - I disagree, but don't wanna start another pointless argument. Maybe another time.

Eshnar said:
If their strength stayed equal in 2 years I don't see why it should change in a matter of 4 months.
I mean to say that Hesjedal following Purito is not such a surprise, and it happened before. Purito following Contador hasn't.

Last year, Purito was bad at the beginning of the Giro, and great at the end. And superb in the Dauphiné. Then he was great in Burgos and at the beginning of the Vuelta, but not at the end. Obviously something went wrong there, in terms of peaking.

And he got it right this time. Slightly off top form in the Giro, then take it down until after Burgos, and then hit top form in the Vuelta.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Ivan_Basso_77 said:
Ivan Basso is going to disappoint many British who watch cycling since this year's Tour:)

Basso is going to struggle to win anything when his main climbing support is going to be Cameron Wurf and Sarmiento. He might have Caruso as well, but it's going to be a tough season for him.

Eshnar said:
1 - The point is "Was Purito stronger in the Vuelta,compared to the Giro?"
2 - He did underestimate Hesjedal, sure, but he lost the Vuelta by underestimating Contador.
That's a good question, I'd like to hear more on this. On point 2, Purito wasn't really in the driver's seat, meaning that he wasn't the overwhelming favorite or his confidence wasn't sky high. Neither Hesjedal was expected to contest for the win, so I'm not sure if 'underestimate' is the right word there. And yes, Purito and KAT underestimated Contador on one stage. Lights out!

cineteq said:
That's a good question, I'd like to hear more on this. On point 2, Purito wasn't really in the driver's seat, meaning that he wasn't the overwhelming favorite or his confidence wasn't sky high. Neither Hesjedal was expected to contest for the win, so I'm not sure if 'underestimate' is the right word there. And yes, Purito and KAT underestimated Contador on one stage. Lights out!

On more than one day...

Too much of a coward to take meaningful time from Contador when he had the chances.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:

who? They haven't been watching. He has raced just as well in the past, maybe worse tt'ing and less intelligence in the past. But in the mountains I don't agree at all.

Purito was stronger at vuelta imo. But yeah hesj would have had no hope there. Good race for purito no doubt.

Netserk said:
On more than one day...

Too much of a coward to take meaningful time from Contador when he had the chances.

lol coward.. excellent point keyboard hero. :rolleyes:

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The last time he rode the Giro was in 2005. Would be interesting. This year we'll have Giro contenders that dont be scared if they have to attack. Nibali and Samuel. Also if Rujano is in top form... fortunately it seems that we wont have a "show" like this year. I only want more TT'ers. There's only Wiggins with GC aspirations. Would be nice if Talansky come to Italy. But i think its difficult because of Hesjedal decission. By the way i want to see Cam Meyer in Italy. He demonstrated in the Vuelta a España that he is improving in the mountain. He only needs endurance and a bit more of climbing skills.

TRENDING THREADS