• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

• Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
duarte was in bad shape, yes in good shape he would've won easily. look at last years trentino. also leipheimer was in very bad shape. horner wasn;'t great either
you mean the Duarte that was 10th at Trentino?, yes so amazing and Rank number 200 at CQranking?
Your making a joke out of yourself every single post you make

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
henao had to work the entire giro for both cavendish and uran. really bad choice, but now they understand
Haneo did not work for Uran, they were both riding the max that they could every stage and did not work for each other. In fact they stimulated each other to a higher platform.

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
A mirage. He was babysat. 80% of his GT wins based alone on TT skills. In 2013 will see the real Wiggo exposed without his train. Circa Vuelta 2011 or worse.
You can say he was babysat (I guess you mean that he was well supported by his team mates) but if he is not good enough himself he would not be able to stay with the best of the world. Nobody in the Tour (maybe expect for Froome) could ride away from him on the climbs.
Yes he does not attack, but is that necessary when your leading the race? that way you only loose energy. Its up to his competitors to attack him and not the other way around

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Why would he not have a train? He might not have Froome, but he will still have the best support of anyone.
Astana will also have a good support for Nibali, and Rabobank will have Gesink, Kruiswijk and Kelderman

Ferminal said:
Yep, hopefully they make a race of it as opposed to letting Sky do all the work or Liquitraining.

On the Gavia/Stelvio stage, if Nibali has a couple of teammates in the breakaway he could really make the Skytrain derail on the descent of the Stelvio. Against a top form Wiggins, I believe that's his only chance.

Eshnar said:
On the Gavia/Stelvio stage, if Nibali has a couple of teammates in the breakaway he could really make the Skytrain derail on the descent of the Stelvio. Against a top form Wiggins, I believe that's his only chance.

which side are they descending again? the prato side right?

checked it, and yes they are. should a decent descent to watch:

cTc5R.jpg

theyoungest said:
Wiggo will have Henao, Porte, Cataldo, Kyrienka, Dombrowski... those are all better climbers than Kelderman, and better than whomever Astana will bring in support of Nibali.
That's an overstatement. Dombrowski is unproven at the top level, specially in a GT. Cataldo is a top20 climber like Tiralongo, Kessiakof. Astana also have Brajkovic who has just done his best GT result. Sky has a very strong team, no doubt, but it's not like the others are worse.
About Porte, I can't remember the last time he did the Giro :D We'll have to see how he adapts to those climbs I guess.

theyoungest said:
Wiggo will have Henao, Porte, Cataldo, Kyrienka, Dombrowski... those are all better climbers than Kelderman, and better than whomever Astana will bring in support of Nibali.

Porte and Henao I agree is just as good/better than Brajko.
Kyrienka have had a couple of extremely good days in his careers, but otherwise a second tier climber.
Cataldo, just as good/worse than Kiryenka.
Dombrowski, remind me how many tours have he done again?

Brajko, Agnoli, Kessiakoff, Tira, Seeldrayers is more than enough to make hell in the mountains.

Dazed and Confused said:
agree, Blanco should not try and out-train Sky (or Astana). Rather pinpoint a couple of key stages and go all in early and see if that shakes the tree.
Probably the first one they'll blow up is Gesink himself, his diesel takes a while to turn on.

trevim said:
That's an overstatement. Dombrowski is unproven at the top level, specially in a GT. Cataldo is a top20 climber like Tiralongo, Kessiakof. Astana also have Brajkovic who has just done his best GT result. Sky has a very strong team, no doubt, but it's not like the others are worse.
About Porte, I can't remember the last time he did the Giro :D We'll have to see how he adapts to those climbs I guess.
Yeah I forgot about Tiralongo. Brajkovic is okay too, sometimes. Astana have a decent train as well.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Leendert82 said:
you mean the Duarte that was 10th at Trentino?, yes so amazing and Rank number 200 at CQranking?
Your making a joke out of yourself every single post you make

you shouldn't judge races by looking up results afterwards, when you clealry haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

he also won the queenstage in trentino 2011, trhat's what I was talking about :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Leendert82 said:
Haneo did not work for Uran, they were both riding the max that they could every stage and did not work for each other. In fact they stimulated each other to a higher platform.
I guess you were braindead during the stelvio stage then :rolleyes:

Regarding Gesnik, his chances of winning/podium finish will heavily depend on whether he has fully recovered from his injury.
While been surprised by his new found TT ability, his climbing was much worse last year.

Heck even in the TT, he lost time on the climbs while doing well on the flat.

Samu is another interesting contender and at 35 after recovering from a injury, I would think a win is very difficult but a podium spot isn't beyond him.

Good to see Nibali getting strong support. He's still my bet for victory.

TRENDING THREADS