• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2015 Milan - San Remo?

Who will win 2015 Milano - San Remo?

• Greg Van Avermaet

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • John Degenkolb

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • Mark Cavendish

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • Fabian Cancellara

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • Zdenek Stybar

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Juan Jose Lobato

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Alexander Kristoff

Votes: 48 23.0%
  • Other ...

Votes: 31 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Who will win 2015 Milan - San Remo?

img_altimetria2015.jpg

img_salite2015.jpg

img_ukm2015.jpg

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Sorry guys, seems like the poll functionality is not working :(

1. Stybar (wishful thinking, more so some surprise like Haussler etc)
2. Sagan
3. Spartacus

Re:

Asero831 said:
Who will look after Kristoff on the Poggio San Remo? Otherwise I see Stybar or Lobato having a go at this. GVA for 2nd

I think Kristoff will make it over the Poggio fairly comfortably. It's too gentle for the others to distance him - especially bearing in mind how much power he always seems to have available late in long races.

I think it's between him and Degenkolb for the win. I doubt Stybar could beat either in a sprint and don't think he has the course to drop them before - same for GVA. Sagan is a bit more interesting now that he has won and will have more confidence, but he has faded in all tough/long races in the last year or so - difficult to see him beating Kristoff or Degenkolb in a sprint after 300km.

Re:

Asero831 said:
If here are more than six guys with 10+ secs on top of Poggio, i do not think the sprint teams can catch them.

GVA, Kwiat, Sagan, Costa and Cance can hold on to that lead

I'm not sure 10 seconds would be enough for a group like that. Costa and Kwiat certainly wouldn't be working for a sprint and probably not Cance either. The peloton would probably reel them in unless they all worked together pretty much until the line. I don't really see how a group like that would get away on the climb anyway, it's just not difficult enough and some teams - Giant, Katusha, possibly even Etixx - will drive such a high, steady pace at the front to keep everyone together.

If Sagan is in any break no-one's going to work just to drag him to the line and get second, same if Kristoff is there. I think it'll either be someone we wouldn't expect or one of the real sprinters (including Degenkolb, Sagan and Kristoff). I'd ideally like to see Cav of Sagan take it.