• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2015 Ronde van Vlaanderen?

Who will win Vlaanderen's Mooiste?

• John Degenkolb

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Alexander Kristoff

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • Jurgen Roelandts

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Zdenek Stybar

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • Geraint Thomas

Votes: 44 26.8%
  • Niki Terpstra

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Greg van Avermaet

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Sep Vanmarcke

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Van Avermaet has a good chance. He's been relatively quiet in the last few weeks, but had great form earlier in the season and has the sprint to win from a small group. BMC have looked strong as well as a team. Not sure if he will be fully recovered from his crash though.

Vandenbergh will be there at the end, but obviously won't win. Etixx will have to hope that he has brought Stybar with him this time, because Terpstra basically looks like a weaker version of Thomas at the moment, whereas at least Styby can sprint a bit.

The strength of Thomas will put him as a marked man. Everyone will follow him while some unheard of rider will attack on the Oude Kwaremont. The peleton will let him go before attacks from the main protagonists on the Paterberg. The lone rider from the Oude Kwaremont will extend his lead on the Paterberg descent. The favourites will forget about him and only realise he's out their with 4kms to go. A frantic chaotic and unorganised chase will precede. The lone rider will cross the line when the chasers have a Km to go.

I'd say Vanmarcke but he seems always running short at the end Thomas will be neutralised by Etixx, might be in favour of Vandenbergh when Styby or Terpstra are on Thomas wheel...

Given the weather we have these days it seems for the first time since the parcours has been changed we will have a real hard RVV

Worst case scenario: Thomas or one of the Quicksteppers (especially Stybar or Terpstra).
Best case scenario: it's Sagan or Vanmarcke.

Most likely: it will be GVA. He has Oss, Burghardt on his team and he's strong on Paterberg. Also he has found out how to actually win a race with his Tirreno stage-win.

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
TheGreenMonkey said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Thomas is the strongest. But it would also be quite nice to see Degenkolb win 3 monuments in a single season, something no one but Merckx has ever done :cool:

I would rather someone won the first 3 monuments of the year who has at least some chance in the other two.

Greg Van Avermaet then?

I don't think he has a realistic chance at the last two either and is simply not good enough. Gilbert at his peak is probably the closest in recent times. I don't think there is anybody at the moment.

Re: Re:

TheGreenMonkey said:
Hugo Koblet said:
TheGreenMonkey said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Thomas is the strongest. But it would also be quite nice to see Degenkolb win 3 monuments in a single season, something no one but Merckx has ever done :cool:

I would rather someone won the first 3 monuments of the year who has at least some chance in the other two.

Greg Van Avermaet then?

I don't think he has a realistic chance at the last two either and is simply not good enough. Gilbert at his peak is probably the closest in recent times. I don't think there is anybody at the moment.

Gilbert is a good pick indeed. Kwiatkowski has the talent to do it in the future. However, Van Avermaet is actually the active rider with the lowest overall score in all five monuments (1 point for 1st, 2 point for 2nd etc.).