• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Who Will Win La Vuelta 2022-First Rest Day Poll

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win La Vuelta?

• Remco Evenepoel

Votes: 31 21.5%
  • Primoz Roglic

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • Richard Carapaz

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Jai Hindley

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Simon Yates

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Joao Almieda

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Sergio Higuita

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Miguel Angel Lopez

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Ben O’Connor

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other/Vino

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
Voted Roglic. I don’t think he would have come to the Vuelta if he didn’t have the health and condition to win it. And I also don’t think they would have bothered naming Roglic leader of the Tour with Vingo if he wasn’t at least close to Vingo pre-Tour. And I watched the 2014 Vuelta.
Fair logic. I had written off Rogla’s chances at going for 4 straight Vuelta wins but now I am hoping I was wrong to doubt him prematurely. Would be good to see.

Reactions: noob
I voted for Hindley, but after reviewing the profiles again it's really not a hard core climbers race. There is like one UC climb. There are no huge mountain days.

So, I don't know. Really does suit a Remco but I'm not sure. Being a fan of climbing in general I'm not that excited by the course. However, anything that is raced full gas will separate people so bring it on.

Probably Roglic though.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think stage 8 especially is plenty for the climbers in this second week to gain lots of time on the rouleurs. That climb is really tough, and the day after you have Les Praeres, and then, all the time you gain on Remco there goes out the window on stage 10, and then its the mountains en Andalucia who decides the race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
  1. Roglic
  2. Almeida
  3. Carapaz

If Roglic is over the injury and barring a crash I think he is stronger than all of these. He will take time on most of his main rivals in the TT and has the team support around him to be able to defend the lead if needed. He is a proven GT rider whereas there are too many question marks over the rest. Evenepoel is the great unknown which makes the race less predictable but I get the feeling that he will have at least one bad day and blow up at some stage.

The two big unknowns, yet also the two most obvious shouts, are still Roglic and Evenepoel. Everyone else will be hoping the former isn't sufficiently recovered and the latter bonks on one of the few real mountains, because they haven't usually shown the climbing level to just ride away from a GT field in the mountains and if either Roglic or Evenepoel are up there in the mountains they'll likely need to given the TT.

Reactions: Unterlenkerfahrend
I voted for Hindley, but after reviewing the profiles again it's really not a hard core climbers race. There is like one UC climb. There are no huge mountain days.

So, I don't know. Really does suit a Remco but I'm not sure. Being a fan of climbing in general I'm not that excited by the course. However, anything that is raced full gas will separate people so bring it on.

Probably Roglic though.

Yeah, just one HC climb (also the only 1900m+ climb in the race ) ...an MTF just before the final rest day. Followed by 2 relatively easy stages.

That's the worst part of the route for me. And the fact that the Sierra Nevada stage is preceded by a Unipuerto stage.

I still think the hardest GC-relevant climbs are hard enough to bring the best "pure" climbers to the fore.

TRENDING THREADS