• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Who Will Win La Vuelta 2022-First Rest Day Poll

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win La Vuelta?

• Remco Evenepoel

Votes: 31 21.5%
  • Primoz Roglic

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • Richard Carapaz

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Jai Hindley

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Simon Yates

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Joao Almieda

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Sergio Higuita

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Miguel Angel Lopez

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Ben O’Connor

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other/Vino

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
Still going with Hindley. Crazy that just 8 percent of us think the winner of the Giro, who's rested and fit with a super strong team, can win this. I know Higuita is potentially a co-leader but Hindley is miles (and 2 GC podiums) better.
I'm sure more than 8% of this board believe that Hindley "can" win the race. That's not the poll question, tho.

Still going with Hindley. Crazy that just 8 percent of us think the winner of the Giro, who's rested and fit with a super strong team, can win this. I know Higuita is potentially a co-leader but Hindley is miles (and 2 GC podiums) better.

All things being equal I'd pick Roglic but the poor guy is snakebit in the last few years in GTs. (outside of La Vuelta, ofc...)

Hindley is capable of winning but on this route he is not favourite, I would probably even Carapaz ahead despite Hindley beating him at the Giro. In Hindley's two podiums, he has made his gains on very tough climbs within very tough mountain stages late in the race. This Vuelta route does not have that.

All things being equal I'd pick Roglic but the poor guy is snakebit in the last few years in GTs. (outside of La Vuelta, ofc...)
First attempt at two grand tours scaring some fans off. His team even said before the race they were not sure whether he would be going for stages or the overall. That was about a month ago.

Is this some Masnada joke or...?
images

As said earlier, its the first time he's ridden 2 GTs in a year, and there's probably not enough high mountains for Hindley

Reactions: Sandisfan
Hindley needs Remco to crack big time in the second/third week (not an unreasonable thing to expect) and Roglic still not being at his best after his injury. Otherwise I sadly just don't see him win this with this route. If he doesn't gain time on that one rampas stage this week he'll be about 2 minutes behind both of them after the ITT next week - and I just don't see where he'll make that up after that.
This Vuelta is just overloaded with 6% climbs and not enough elevation gain, I just don't see where the pure climbers could strike. Even the Sierra Nevada one risks being a bit of a nothingburger with the changes.

I now had a first look on the stages of Vuelta until Madrid… I have to say, it‘s a really hard Vuelta. Vuelta is always hard, with long, steep mountains, and rather bad road surfaces. But this time, it‘s super hard.

I am very surprised that, with the things we know, quite many people still see Primoz as a favourite for this Vuelta. I know he won it three times, and is a racer on the level of Pogacar and Vingegaard. But the current situation is different.

Being three time Vuelta champion and as good as Pog and Vinge does not help him in this Vuelta, because he has been badly injured just weeks ago. When I look at the profiles of the stages until Madrid, I see insane climbs like Sierra Nevada (1500 vertical meters up to 2500m, 20 kms, 8%). I see a MTF almost every day.

Primoz is an unbelieveable athlete, some kind of a pioneer in many aspects. He‘s good in so many things, never shows fear, and always fought back.

Some things, however, just are hard or not possible. I would say about the current situation Primoz has to face: if Primoz was as badly injured as we were told, and restarted training as late as we were told, he cannot win this Vuelta. If he wins this Vuelta, he was not as badly injured as we were told, and probably restarted training earlier.

Now let‘s just wait and see day after day what will happen. :)

Reactions: Cookster15

How often does a guy win two Grand Tours in a season?

Bernal crashed in Burgos last year, so was not the best comparison. Last Giro winner to race the Vuelta before that was Quintana in 2014 (who crashed out of the race). Then you have Nibali the year before, and the fourth most recent example is Contador in 2008.
Contador who might've lost the 2008 Vuelta a Espana against his teammate Leipheimer if he hadn't counter attacked Valverde on Angliru!

Leipheimer who was in the shape of his career at that years Vuelta, but still.

Then you have the likes of Simoni & Cunego, that where nowhere in their Vuelta gc attempts. Which can't be solely explained with the weak level of the Giro d'Italia during that era.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS