• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2015 Vuelta?

Who will win the 2015 Vuelta?

• Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Tejay van Garderen

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other/Pozzovivo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purito Rodriguez

• Nairo Quintana

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Rafal Majka

• Mikel Landa

• Fabio Aru

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very difficult to call. I would make Valverde or Nibali favourites, because they still seemed to be improving in form by the end of the TdF.

Think Quintana could be too young to do well in consecutive tours and Froome has been losing form since the second week of the Tour.

An outsider could take it in theory, but there is such a gap in quality between the top 4 and the rest that it's unlikely imo.

Rafal Majka! He is the only one that has enough balls to do something bold (other than Froome and Nibali), and he will have to looking at the joke of the team that Tinkoff is sending (they completely screwed up this season).
In all seriousness though, I think it will be between Froome and Nibali, although you never know how they will recover from the Tour.
Valverde could do great as well, I can see him getting on a podium but time trial will be a bit of a weakness.
Pozzovivo is my dark horse.

What do you guys think about the sprinters though? Anyone other than Sagan, Degenkolb, Bouhanni gets a chance to shine?
Pellushi? Ewan?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Quintana. Or Aru. All the other riders don't stand a chance.

Only if Landa will get his freedom, he can win too. But i doubt that.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

DFA123 said:
Very difficult to call. I would make Valverde or Nibali favourites, because they still seemed to be improving in form by the end of the TdF.

Think Quintana could be too young to do well in consecutive tours and Froome has been losing form since the second week of the Tour.

An outsider could take it in theory, but there is such a gap in quality between the top 4 and the rest that it's unlikely imo.

In the Tour: yes
In the Vuelta: no

Guys like Aru, Purito and Landa are not that less then someone like Bala or Froome. I think the first two can get the podium by their own strenght. Aru can even win it.

Beating Quintana will be impossible though. Aru will be the closest.

Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:

Guys like Aru, Purito and Landa are not that less then someone like Bala or Froome. I think the first two can get the podium by their own strenght. Aru can even win it.

What are you talking about? He had a dream route in Tour and failed to win even a single stage. Vuelta, with really steep and punchy finishes and long time trial is not that good for him. And only two multi-mountain stages

Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:

Don't forget there is a reasonably flat and fairly long time trial. Both of those guys will lose time there. Also, neither are really explosive enough to take many bonus seconds.

I think Valverde will be leader for Movistar and will also comfortably beat Aru. He always does better in the vuelta than the Tour and will hoover up the time bonuses.

DFA123 said:
Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:

Don't forget there is a reasonably flat and fairly long time trial. Both of those guys will lose time there. Also, neither are really explosive enough to take many bonus seconds.

I think Valverde will be leader for Movistar and will also comfortably beat Aru. He always does better in the vuelta than the Tour and will hoover up the time bonuses.

Fully agree with that.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

damian13ster said:
Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:

What are you talking about? He had a dream route in Tour and failed to win even a single stage. Vuelta, with really steep and punchy finishes and long time trial is not that good for him. And only two multi-mountain stages

Contador and Froome showed last year two multi-mountain stages are enough.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:

Aru not explosive? Based on this Giro, or last Vuelta, he's quite explosive.

Valverde still went really deep in the Tour. Normally he's always better in La Vuelta, but i don't know he will be this year. The freshness of Aru and Landa is an advantage for sure.

From the Tour riders only Quintana and Nibali have a shot I think. From what I've seen/heard from Froome I don't think he'll be in it to win it all the way until the last week. He was declining during the last week of the Tour and what he's done inbetween doesn't seem like great preperation.

Quintana was the best climber in the last week of the Tour, and I think he'll recover well. Nibali actually looked to be improving during the last week, and rode like a best on the stage he won. Don't think he really tried on AdH after the mechanical. He'll be super motivated to show that his Tour failure was a fluke and that he's still top dog at Astana

From the Giro guy's, I only see Aru (and maybe Landa if he's just as good, but I've heard people say he's always during Giro time than later in the year).

But hell, it's the Vuelta in an odd year, so anything can happen

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
I think Aru will suffer on some of the steeper gradients of the Vuelta climbs. He's quite explosive, but he rarely excels when the percentage goes above 10% for more than a couple kms.

It's between Valverde and Nibbles for me.
Yes, Aru is great on short steep climbs, but longer really steep oness seem t be his weakness.
Hard to say who'll win it, Pozzovivo as an odd year Vuelta winner would be awesome. :)

Mayomaniac said:
Yes, Aru is great on short steep climbs, but longer really steep oness seem t be his weakness.
Hard to say who'll win it, Pozzovivo as an odd year Vuelta winner would be awesome. :)
I'm also hoping Pozzovivo has a great Vuelta. Realistically he can aim at the podium if some of the riders coming from the Tour fade.

TRENDING THREADS