• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Tour 2013 - Wiggins or Contador?

Mount Megiddo

BANNED
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
We can forget forecasting the winner of this tour. With another 50k time trial, Wiggins has it in the bag, barring crash or injury. The question really now is who will win the next one.

I think Evans has returned to the form he showed before 2011, and at his age is unlikely to get any better. 2011 was the peak of his career. Schlecks never reach their potential and can't TT. So to me it's looking like a straight fight between Wiggins and Contador, and possibly Froome on another team.

People will reflexively say Contador easily has the edge, but he barely beat Andy Schleck in 2010 and cracked in 2011. It's by no means certain he is the automatic favorite. I don't think he will be much better than Evans in the TTs so it be all down to how much he can put into Wiggins and Froome in the mountains, and it's an open question as to whether he will be able to pulloff alien style attacks to achieve this in today's climate. I think Wiggins will be the bookies favorite.

Wiggins and Sky look likely to dominate the tour for the next few years in my reckoning.

This is the one that matters. We can see this in the popularity of the Contador and Schleck threads throughout June and July, even after it became clear both were out of this years edition.

The Great One is clearly the favourite with the tt but Schleck will push him hard in the mountains.

Wiggins only chance is that they both get injured.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
With a route like this year's - Wiggins by a huge margin.

With a better, more balanced route - Alberto.

With a route like this year's, I would give the nod to wiggo. Not a huge margin though.

Contador on a more balanced route by a huge margin. :D

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Let's see how Contador is performing upon his return. But it will be interesting. I kind of hope Alberto is climbing like 2010 so it will give some contrast to the tour. A lot riding on his return IMHO

LaFlorecita said:
With a route like this year's - Wiggins by a huge margin.

With a better, more balanced route - Alberto.

No way! I think Contador is the only rider who could've beaten Wiggins this year. (I'd like to say Andy could have, but I doubt he'd put in the attacks needed.) He'll definitely beat him next year--regardless of the route.

Anyway, Hitch nails it on the first post when he posits a Contador/Schleck showdown:

The Hitch said:
[...]
Wiggins only chance is that they both get injured.

Mount Megiddo

BANNED
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Maybe people are stuck in the past here. I can't see either Schleck or Contador putting minutes into Wiggins in the mountains. That type of riding happens less and less in the big tours these days, and it forgets what a great climber Wiggins now is in any event.

What we've seen from Wiggins today, smashing cancellara in the TT, has taken it to a new level. The only time AC beat FC in a TT was by a second, there was a big hill in the middle of the course, and it was in the different era or the sport (ah hem). AC is almost certainly going to lose big time to Wiggins and will struggle to get it back. Plus no team out there is as good as sky. Saxo bank can't compete.

mr. tibbs said:
No way! I think Contador is the only rider who could've beaten Wiggins this year. (I'd like to say Andy could have, but I doubt he'd put in the attacks needed.) He'll definitely beat him next year--regardless of the route.

No - Alberto would've lost 2 minutes in today's TT and 3, 3.5 minutes in the last TT. No way he could've gained 5 minutes in the mountains.

Mount Megiddo said:
Maybe people are stuck in the past here. I can't see either Schleck or Contador putting minutes into Wiggins in the mountains. That type of riding happens less and less in the big tours these days, and it forgets what a great climber Wiggins now is in any event.

What we've seen from Wiggins today, smashing cancellara in the TT, has taken it to a new level. The only time AC beat FC in a TT was by a second, there was a big hill in the middle of the course, and it was in the different era or the sport (ah hem). AC is almost certainly going to lose big time to Wiggins and will struggle to get it back.

Do you know what Il Giro is?

TRENDING THREADS