• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Who will win the Tour de France 2022?

Who will win the Tour de France?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The order is in no particular arraignment. I wondered how we didn’t have a poll for who will win Le Tour, so here we are.
4AgaiSPpsZxFnvZFgD74AL.jpg

I wonder: people who vote someone other than pog do you really believe in your vote or is it hope or do you just want to express that rider is underrated?
Personally I can only see someone else winning if something happens to Pog, from covid to mechanical at a bad time.
I truly believe Roglic can beat him, he really hasn’t been dropped by Pogi in a stage race(Lombardia a different story, since it’s only one day of effort, and in the Tour 2020 he wasn’t taking Pogi seriously, ditto 2019 Vuelta) and has astronomically better team support then him.

Last edited:
I wonder: people who vote someone other than pog do you really believe in your vote or is it hope or do you just want to express that rider is underrated?
Personally I can only see someone else winning if something happens to Pog, from covid to mechanical at a bad time.
My vote is for someone I believe in.

Reactions: Wyndbrook
At the end of the day, the hierarchy for this Tour is the clearest it's been in a long time: Pogacar (big gap) Jumbo (slightly smaller gap) everyone else. This route leaves Jumbo with little in the way of options to play the numbers game so I can only draw the same conclusion as @BR2 here.

@greghowlerson, yes my translation for "who will win" is "who do you want to win", and that's why I picked Merckx in '75 (I spent the last week of the Tour at my grandfather's - RIP mon Pepere), '76 I didn't follow cycling, In '77, again, I cheered for Merckx...

Long story short, my answer to the question would have been Hinault in '80, '84, and in the beginning of the '86 edition. I picked Indurain in '96, Virenque in '97 and yes... in '98.

Invisible agents can alter cycling reality: Covid is inviting itself at the table and it's different. It can negate any advantage, teams can be wiped off. Le Tour could come down to who's the last man standing. Fair to bet that at least one Slovenian will be there in the end. If there are two, Pog Merckxed Rog in Tiboland and I'm afraid (well, not really) that it will always be in Primoz's head. Much worse than LeMond-Fignon and eight seconds. Roglic got Merckxed.

So I'm jinxing both, I suppose. Oooooops!

Come on, let's be real here: underneath all the exterior façade of bravado, confidence & belief in the Pog supremacy of Pogacar's greatest superfans, we all know deep down they're going to be just like the rest of us who support other mortal riders: stressed & on the edge of their seats when the action starts. Also, with eyes mainly focused on the Jumbo duo, but especially Roglic. Who are they kidding here? 3x Vuelta winner who in his own words said he had a "super preparation"? If there's someone who's going to take the real fight to the Pog, it'll be Roglic.

Pogacar has also said that himself as well.

And as a Roglic fan (who believes the stars can & should align this year), I'm way, way more concerned about him suffering misfortune than his opponents dropping him. One small puncture or crash at the wrong time & all the preparation goes out the window. This can be either a beautiful, or freaking cruel sport.

On the positive side I also think Roglic is going into the TdF with very little pressure. TJV made sure of that by bigging up Vingegaard, even yesterday it was crazy, i.e. the crowd chanting "Vin-ge-go! Vin-ge-go! which brought the guy to tears. That's crazy pressure on Vinge & almost zero pressure on Rog.

Actually the COVID thread that you mentioned is very realistic to Pog. Other than that JV has two very strong guys and if Rogla achieves form from the last summer it will be a good fight.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This is almost always just a "Who do you want to win?" poll.

Otherwise you could post the market odds and ask, "Who do you think represents value?"

Anyone who genuinely believes that anyone is a better chance to win than Pogacar should be putting their money where their mouth is.

Well, from stage 10 last year, when Vingegaard got going, he beat Pogacar on GC, dropped him on the Mont Ventoux and beat him in the TT. And no, Pogacar didn't let him do that.

In the Dauphiné, Vingegaard looked like he was on a Sunday stroll on the Solaison where Roglic was towed to the line.

Vingegaard has a much, much better team than Pogacar.

It's not a non-contest.

I want Roglic to win but don't believe he can after seeing him being less imposing this year than usually.

Well, I am going in this tour with the expectation, that Pogacar will dominate like last year and it will be totally boring GC wise. With that expectation I can only be surprised in a positive way in the end.

Perhaps the same like 2019 will happen, I had absolutely no expectation for an interesting race because of the Ineos domination in this time, but in the end it was the most interesting tour for years...

Well, from stage 10 last year, when Vingegaard got going, he beat Pogacar on GC, dropped him on the Mont Ventoux and beat him in the TT. And no, Pogacar didn't let him do that.

In the Dauphiné, Vingegaard looked like he was on a Sunday stroll on the Solaison where Roglic was towed to the line.

Vingegaard has a much, much better team than Pogacar.

It's not a non-contest.

I want Roglic to win but don't believe he can after seeing him being less imposing this year than usually.

Roglic's season was interrupted with the knee injury. I think it's reasonable to believe that he has greater room to improve from Dauphne to Tour than Vingegaard.

I favour Roglic to take small time on his teammate on stage 1 and 7 also, meaning that Vingegaard has to work for him a little when there are only a handful of riders left in the Alps.

TRENDING THREADS