• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Who Will Win the Vuelta 2019?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Vuelta 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, but he was flying through the spring before the Giro. I mean seriously flying. So the fade was always on the cards for this reason - many suspected it.
Obviously, but that's an entirely different reason that going too deep early in one race. Roglic was just in too good shape for an extended period of time before the Giro. That wasn't really the case with Yates last year (remember Catalunya?) who could have sustained his level throughout the Giro, had he raced with a different approach.

Maybe Roglic has learned the lesson not to try to extend his shape for an unrealistic period of time. I suppose that it is the main reason he did not go to the Tour? Anyway, this time it's certainly the opposite with Roglic.

The fact that he has so many vuelta podiums proves nothing. Nobody else targets it like him. And he still only won 1, and that was 10 years ago. Hes a great rider, his longevity is immense, his palmares is phenomenal. But a top GC rider he is not, even at his best.

Reactions: Carols
The fact that he has so many vuelta podiums proves nothing. Nobody else targets it like him. And he still only won 1, and that was 10 years ago. Hes a great rider, his longevity is immense, his palmares is phenomenal. But a top GC rider he is not, even at his best.
He's not Contador, or Indurain of course, but in the current peloton very few riders have superior GT record than him.

For conversational purposes only... do you only call riders that has won multiple GTs "top GC riders"?

Because isnt winning one, multiple podiums and top 10s kind of the proof of a "top GC rider"? Multips wins in other stage races.

Reactions: Angliru
Valverde had come up through the ranks today I think he would have been pushed toward being purely a GT hopeful. He's got incredible punch to win stages at the end, can handle really long races/stages, and has always been at fighting weight. The knock against him in GTs has been long climbs at altitude, or something like that, but training methods have advanced since the last century and I could see him winning all 3 tours in a career with a WC RR or two, but fewer one-day victories.

He's also been something of a lone wolf, but he might have been reined in under a structured team like Ineos. Fun to speculate either way. For this Vuelta his time may have passed but certainly a podium is possible if the chips fall his way.

Reactions: Angliru
Valverde had come up through the ranks today I think he would have been pushed toward being purely a GT hopeful. He's got incredible punch to win stages at the end, can handle really long races/stages, and has always been at fighting weight. The knock against him in GTs has been long climbs at altitude, or something like that, but training methods have advanced since the last century and I could see him winning all 3 tours in a career with a WC RR or two, but fewer one-day victories.

He's also been something of a lone wolf, but he might have been reined in under a structured team like Ineos. Fun to speculate either way. For this Vuelta his time may have passed but certainly a podium is possible if the chips fall his way.
I don't think that Valverde had the pure GT talent to win a Tour de France. He might have picked off a weak Giro with some luck if he'd peaked at exactly the right moment. Consistent as he's been he's also consistently been not good enough to win them.

He's 39. I think hyping him up as a favorite is silly. But that doesn't detract from his legacy.

I don't think that Valverde will win the Vuelta, but the suggestion that he can't possibly win it are ridiculous. It is easy to say he won't win it, and those saying so will probably be proven correct. Indeed, given that nobody is odds on to win, anyone saying that anyone won't win it is probably going to be correct.

But how sure are you that he won't? Betting Exchange are offering people willing to back him at 32/1: are you going to snap that up? Would you lay 100/1? Just what do you mean when you say that he can't or won't win?

Valverde would have a chance of winning la vuelta if he had the climbing legs of 2012-2015, but after his performance on lagos de covadonga last year, I saw that he isn't able to follow the true favourites in any long climb, even at low alttitude

TRENDING THREADS