• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Who Will Win the Vuelta 2019?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Vuelta 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Colombians huddle on the left. Roglic with the extra long soccer socks.

EClXSFUX4AA2b-F.jpg:large

ECmifvQU0AAI5IA.jpg:large

Is that Valverde' zimmer frame hiding behind the lady?

If Roglic doesn't win this he'll be a great dom for Dum next year.

That may not be far from the truth. If he podiums but doesn't win, I think he will ride the Giro as No. 1 and for Dumoulin in the tour, if only to give a boost for a TTT (not sure if there is one) and provide support for a few mountain stages.

A win in the Vuelta would make the case that he should be a co-leader for the Tour and ride the Vuelta again, with Kruisjwijk as Giro leader and top Tour domestique.

Despite the absence of Carapaz and Thomas, I'm really looking forward to the Vuelta. I love MTFs and this will deliver them in spades. (if only b/c I just have to watch the last 45 minutes of each stage)

Roglič will ride the Tour next year as a leader or co-leader no matter what happens in this Vuelta. The plan for Jumbo Visma was to ride for him in 2020 and deservedly so. Right now he is a more sure thing than Dumoulin who is unfortunately dealing with a complicated injury. I believe he'll be back at his best or almost, but if both of them target the Tour as their main goal next season, there will be no doms between them. They'll be co-leaders and the road will decide who'll be better in the end.

There's also a chance that both of them won't target the Tour GC because of the Olympics. In that case one might ride the Giro for GC and be a helper in the Tour. But still a long way to go till then. Let's concentrate to the Vuelta which is right in front of us. I predict a great race.

Reactions: KZD
Roglič will ride the Tour next year as a leader or co-leader no matter what happens in this Vuelta. The plan for Jumbo Visma was to ride for him in 2020 and deservedly so. Right now he is a more sure thing than Dumoulin who is unfortunately dealing with a complicated injury. I believe he'll be back at his best or almost, but if both of them target the Tour as their main goal next season, there will be no doms between them. They'll be co-leaders and the road will decide who'll be better in the end.

There's also a chance that both of them won't target the Tour GC because of the Olympics. In that case one might ride the Giro for GC and be a helper in the Tour. But still a long way to go till then. Let's concentrate to the Vuelta which is right in front of us. I predict a great race.
Dumoulin has already said he's not aiming for the Olympics.

Feel like this sort of a must win for Roglic.

I think whatever happens it's hard to see Dumoulin, Roglic or Kruijswik dom for each other, they might stay in the front as co-leader but I doubt any team director will tell any of them to fall back and help someone if they start to get in difficulty.

First and foremost providing a link to dubious statistics doesn't prove anything
Some teams strength in points is based on classic wins etc ....not a valid measure for climbing strength at GTs and not really significant

Secondly the ludicrous idea that riders are weaker than 10 years ago is ridiculous and without evidence ...
It is obvious that one drugs are not in play like back then but also recent GTs have been very fast with some climbs in the last few GTs climbed faster than any time since the early 2000s and some faster than ever before with power outputs very high

Also it is obvious that PCS points mean little if alot of riders are at the same level which is the case ...as points are distributed more evenly than when there were fewer riders wining more races

This is not an indication of weakness just an indication of many riders are at or near the same level ...which seems to be the case

But I dont know why I bother writing this as so many moaners on here who think strength is only Pantani (who was doped to the gills) and refuse to see that cycling has changed and riders are as strong but clean and there are several similar level riders rather than a few way out in front

And anyway true racing is not about Ineos type 'strength' being present but about similar level competition, attacking racing without the control
What I said is nothing related with doping but the fact that 80% of the gc contenders are one dimmensional climbers. A guy like Evans would win a lot of gt's in this era if they put a good chunck of time trials. Even guys like Menchov or Vinokourov would be multiple gt winners with this kind of generation.

What I said is nothing related with doping but the fact that 80% of the gc contenders are one dimmensional climbers. A guy like Evans would win a lot of gt's in this era if they put a good chunck of time trials. Even guys like Menchov or Vinokourov would be multiple gt winners with this kind of generation.

They should be putting in more TT miles...

One flat/hilly ITT of about 35-45km.

One short ITT/prologue 10-15km. Or a TTT. Or a mountain ITT.

There should be at least 2 stages dedicated to it. One flat/hilly of about 35-45km should always be there, and then pick and choose between the other options. Then place them how you see fit according to the route.

That is how I think it should be. You should be able master it all, as they say. Crosswinds, climbing, descending and time trials + whatever else. If that means some riders has advantage over others, well isnt that the point if you are really good something? Thats how I view it.

Reactions: Noddy97
I think whatever happens it's hard to see Dumoulin, Roglic or Kruijswik dom for each other, they might stay in the front as co-leader but I doubt any team director will tell any of them to fall back and help someone if they start to get in difficulty.

Given Ineos's success with "co-leaders" I would imagine JV would like to do that with Dumoulin and either R or K next year. Hopefully they have a better outcome than Movistar's co-leaders...

Carapaz had no permission to start the crit from Movistar.

95% sure that's the reason they replaced him, not injury

Carapaz had no permission to start the crit from Movistar.

95% sure that's the reason they replaced him, not injury
Thats pretty big. I imagine he is 100% out the door then if thats the case. Why are you this sure?

TRENDING THREADS