• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Who Will Win the Vuelta 2019?

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Vuelta 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What, people still rate Valverde as possible GT winner? #gettingtiredofthisoverestimatingvalverdebullshit

Is there any other rider where it is conceivable that he rides with Roglic and López as clearly one of the three best climbers of the race, and then his GC chances are just completely discarded because of reasons?

Especially when said rider was supposed to have his forces elsewhere?

It's a shorter climb, it's the first week of a GT. It's an almost perfect stage for Valverde (like usually in the Vuelta). I don't see him as a factor concernin the win. Sooner or later there will be a tougher mountain stage with more climbing during the stage and Valverde will suddenly drop or have one of his lesser days.

If he's lucky he could finish 3rd maybe

Reactions: Red Rick
Why wouldnt he be a "possible GT winner"? It has always been possible. Evidently by his many podiums, top 10s and actually winning one. It is always POSSIBLE he could win. He just havent done it as many times for different reasons and maybe he wont win another one, because of different reasons. Like having a bad day, better competitors, poor form, mechanical or crash etc. Reasons that other "possible GT winners" has to overcome in order to win also.

The same is true for Dumoulin except for one Giro a while back, Roglic always, López always, Urán always and Quintana except for a cheat code in the Giro and one Vuelta a few years back.
Then you are sadly misinterpreting it. I don't see Valverde as a possible GT winner now. Ten years ago certainly. Now not so much, last years have shown why. Don't see him suddenly turning that now. Like I said, podium at best.

Either way I don't want to continue this into a long discussion throwing around other names in like you do. It's about Valverde and my opinion is my opinion. You may disagree as you want ofc. For me he remains no candidate winner.

Then you are sadly misinterpreting it. I don't see Valverde as a possible GT winner now. Ten years ago certainly. Now not so much, last years have shown why. Don't see him suddenly turning that now. Like I said, podium at best.

Either way I don't want to continue this into a long discussion throwing around other names in like you do. It's about Valverde and my opinion is my opinion. You may disagree as you want ofc. For me he remains no candidate winner.

What if he leads after two weeks?

To me it's pure nonsense to admit that Urán could be a candidate, when Valverde is not, while he is clearly much, much stronger.

But fair enough, let's just drop it.

Reactions: Salvarani
Mine as well: Uran.
I jokingly picked Tao Geoghagen Hart . . . was leaning toward Carapaz before he got scratched from the lineup. It's still in doubt after stage 9, but Roglic looks like the top favorite now--but it's still not a lock for anyone. --Can't see anyone outside of the current top 4 winning the whole thing: Quintana, Roglic, MAL, Valverde. Pogacar (currently #5) has been a revelation, but it would be lunacy to think he could win this (wouldn't it?).

I think Roglic is looking good now but I have a feeling that with MAL/NQ going to lose quite a bit in the ITT, they will join forces in attacking the rest of race, trying to break Roglic. Vv just gonna follow Roglic like a bad smell until it's time to sprint to the line, cementing another top ten into the record book. I've a feeling Pogacar cold break into the top 4 if he stays in form.