• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Who wins the Tour 2017?

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Tour de France 2017?

  • Alberto Contador

    Votes: 31 13.4%
  • Alejandro Valverde

    Votes: 14 6.0%
  • Chris Froome

    Votes: 93 40.1%
  • Daniel Martin

    Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Esteban Chaves

    Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Fabio Aru

    Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Nairo Quintana

    Votes: 24 10.3%
  • Richie Porte

    Votes: 48 20.7%
  • Romain Bardet

    Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Thibaut Pinot

    Votes: 1 0.4%

  • Total voters
    232
Nov 29, 2010
2,326
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Robert5091 said:
Can not see any GC contenders wanting the yellow jersey on stage 2 - too early.
How would a GC contender get yellow on stage 2? It's a sprint stage.

Froome usually unveils a new talent each year. This time I think he will be showcasing a sprint the likes of Cav and Kittel have never seen before.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Robert5091 said:
Can not see any GC contenders wanting the yellow jersey on stage 2 - too early.
How would a GC contender get yellow on stage 2? It's a sprint stage.
It's happened a few times before that a GC contender has got in the break on an early supposed sprint stage. Froome in the echelons to Zuyder Zee, Nibali over the steep sharp climbs in Yorkshire, Lemond and half the PDM team on the first road stage in 91, etc. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it puts added stress on the team. The favourites are usually more than happy to offload the responsibility of controlling the race to some Belgian sprint train for a few days.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
What suggests Contador will win if he stays on his bike? His veins or his skinny face?
Absolutely nothing. He stayed on his bike at Andalucia, Catalunya, Pais Vasco and Dauphine this year. And didn't win any of them. He's yet to even win a non time-trial stage at WT level in over two years.

This hyping of him is really unfair and disrespectful to a great rider like Contador. A place on the lower steps of the podium would be a fine achievement for him at his current age and current level; but the expectations from some fans seem to want to set it up that anything less than a win is failure. With fans like that; who needs enemies!?
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
What suggests Contador will win if he stays on his bike? His veins or his skinny face?
Absolutely nothing. He stayed on his bike at Andalucia, Catalunya, Pais Vasco and Dauphine this year. And didn't win any of them. He's yet to even win a non time-trial stage at WT level in over two years.

This hyping of him is really unfair and disrespectful to a great rider like Contador. A place on the lower steps of the podium would be a fine achievement for him at his current age and current level; but the expectations from some fans seem to want to set it up that anything less than a win is failure. With fans like that; who needs enemies!?
Don't worry, he puts more pressure on himself than all his fans together could manage. He'll cope.
 
I can't blame LaFlo for such a bold prediction. Fans are fans. Yes, it may be setting unrealistic expectations, but I'd rather see fans like LaFlo rather than bandwagon hoppers.

Contador's chances are slim, very slim. His fans, and himself believe that he has one last big race in him. What a story it would be.
 
Tonton said:
I can't blame LaFlo for such a bold prediction. Fans are fans. Yes, it may be setting unrealistic expectations, but I'd rather see fans like LaFlo rather than bandwagon hoppers.

Contador's chances are slim, very slim. His fans, and himself believe that he has one last big race in him. What a story it would be.
You got it Tonton :)
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
What suggests Contador will win if he stays on his bike? His veins or his skinny face?
Absolutely nothing. He stayed on his bike at Andalucia, Catalunya, Pais Vasco and Dauphine this year. And didn't win any of them. He's yet to even win a non time-trial stage at WT level in over two years.

This hyping of him is really unfair and disrespectful to a great rider like Contador. A place on the lower steps of the podium would be a fine achievement for him at his current age and current level; but the expectations from some fans seem to want to set it up that anything less than a win is failure. With fans like that; who needs enemies!?
Don't worry, he puts more pressure on himself than all his fans together could manage. He'll cope.
Sure, I don't doubt that. But I do feel sorry for him that, in addition to putting pressure on himself to win, he also has pressure of an international fan base to win. So, even finishing 2nd or 3rd (which objectively, I'm sure most would agree, would be a good result), he will not only feel his own disappointment, but also the disappoinment of letting his fans down.

I guess that's just the way it goes though when you've already got seven (or nine ;) ) wins on your palmares.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Escarabajo said:
LaFlorecita said:
If Berto stays on his bike, he wins, I believe. So I give him about a 1 in 4 chance.
Your first statement don't go with your second statement. 1 in 4 chance is 25% which isn't much if we refer to your first statement.
75% chance he crashes :) I'm being kind to Berto, after all he crashed 9 times in his last 6 GTs :p

It's not funny if you have to explain it!! ;)

I got it though! Nice one.
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
What suggests Contador will win if he stays on his bike? His veins or his skinny face?
Absolutely nothing. He stayed on his bike at Andalucia, Catalunya, Pais Vasco and Dauphine this year. And didn't win any of them. He's yet to even win a non time-trial stage at WT level in over two years.

This hyping of him is really unfair and disrespectful to a great rider like Contador. A place on the lower steps of the podium would be a fine achievement for him at his current age and current level; but the expectations from some fans seem to want to set it up that anything less than a win is failure. With fans like that; who needs enemies!?
Don't worry, he puts more pressure on himself than all his fans together could manage. He'll cope.
Sure, I don't doubt that. But I do feel sorry for him that, in addition to putting pressure on himself to win, he also has pressure of an international fan base to win. So, even finishing 2nd or 3rd (which objectively, I'm sure most would agree, would be a good result), he will not only feel his own disappointment, but also the disappoinment of letting his fans down.

I guess that's just the way it goes though when you've already got seven (or nine ;) ) wins on your palmares.

Maybe the pressure has contributed to all these crashes? I hope he has a good race, but a podium would be be a fantastic result for him this year.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Escarabajo said:
LaFlorecita said:
If Berto stays on his bike, he wins, I believe. So I give him about a 1 in 4 chance.
Your first statement don't go with your second statement. 1 in 4 chance is 25% which isn't much if we refer to your first statement.
75% chance he crashes :) I'm being kind to Berto, after all he crashed 9 times in his last 6 GTs :p

Ouch...didn't realize that.
 
Apr 9, 2017
107
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
What suggests Contador will win if he stays on his bike? His veins or his skinny face?
Absolutely nothing. He stayed on his bike at Andalucia, Catalunya, Pais Vasco and Dauphine this year. And didn't win any of them. He's yet to even win a non time-trial stage at WT level in over two years.

This hyping of him is really unfair and disrespectful to a great rider like Contador. A place on the lower steps of the podium would be a fine achievement for him at his current age and current level; but the expectations from some fans seem to want to set it up that anything less than a win is failure. With fans like that; who needs enemies!?

Wait, is LaFlo menacing Contador and sending him threatening fanmail saying he has to win? Getting in his face and trying to intimidate Contador with win-or-you-suck aggression? What?

Fans are going to root for their favorite riders. Taken literally, by this same logic, almost all of the contenders can be tossed out and all of their fans are unfair and disrespectful for hoping they win.

Porte? He's never even podiumed at a GT, what suggests he can win a 3 week GC?

Aru? He's never finished higher than Froome or even Contador at any GT. What suggests he can win the tour?

Valverde? He hasn't finished higher than 3rd at a grand tour in 5 years. What suggests he can win?

Fuglsang? Hasn't had a top ten at a GT since 2013.

Bardet? When's the last time he's won a GC?

I guess everyone should heap their expectations on Froome because being a fan of anyone else for the Tour is disrespectful.
 

TRENDING THREADS