• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's The Best All-Round Rider In Pro Cycling?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
K-0tic said:
EBH has the potential but did not prove himself in the classics yet. Also he won't win a very big stage uphill unless he's in the breakaway. Last, I can see him doing a good prologue but a long TT?
He's done lots of good long TTs in the past. In 2011 and 2010 he was 3rd in the long ITT in Dauphine, for example. Last year he would have been 5th or 4th in the TDF time trial if not for his bike change.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mscaviy2601 said:
1. Fine by me.

2. Yes. But a rider finishing 30th on both days would get 340 points compared to the 201 points your rider would get. It's not about determining the best rider at any one discipline but the best at all the disciplines.

3. It's a thought experiment. What might happen in the real world doesn't come in to it

Just seeking some clarity, especially #2. Back to #2, if a rider knows he's out of a win he could freewheel just keeping placing and not time leading to some weird situations where the winner wins by a huge margin and it has no effect on the next day, I mean stage.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Valverde is the only one to come to my mind who's won a big tour, classics, sprints, one week races, high mountain stages, can TT reasonably well when in top form... so the best all-round rider at present in my view.

Nothing for him to do on a sprint against Sagan, Greipel or Cavendish though

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Such a race already exists -- the Tour de France.

Thus, because the winner must be able to climb, time trial, descend reasonably well, occasionally deal with difficult road conditions and sustain a high level of performance for multiple consecutive days, the winner of the Tour de France is the best "all around" cyclist.

Turner29 said:

Thus, because the winner must be able to climb, time trial, descend reasonably well, occasionally deal with difficult road conditions and sustain a high level of performance for multiple consecutive days, the winner of the Tour de France is the best "all around" cyclist.

Umm no. 10 char

sartoris said:
Valverde is the only one to come to my mind who's won a big tour, classics, sprints, one week races, high mountain stages, can TT reasonably well when in top form... so the best all-round rider at present in my view.

Nothing for him to do on a sprint against Sagan, Greipel or Cavendish though

Some.movi rider can't remember which one said that only cav will beat a focused valverde in a sprint.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Valverde definitely the most complete rider. I'd wager money that Sagan could end up accomplishing as much, if not more, given time - Gilbert is too old to take up a serious grand tour GC classification.

Turner29 said:

Indeed. Just look at Andy Schleck. Amazing all-rounder. He can do just about everything.

...except from TTing, sprinting and descending.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
mscaviy2601 said:
As the OP creator, I can say that it was in no way "contrived" or designed with "one rider in mind". It was meant as the starting point for a discussion. The nature of the "contrived" format was to make all things equal and I chose Wiggins because I genuinely believed he'd have the best chance of top 30ing all the disciplines. I don't claim any certainty in that position and after Sagan's climbing today, I'll happily consider him instead.

Anyway, thankyou for your contribution, I'm sure it was worth the effort.

The competition is clearly contrived - it's a wholly unnatural way of deciding a race. The way the points are distributed would completely define the nature of the competition - is the idea to be good or to not be bad? We already have something a bit like this in stage races - the points jerseys. What you're suggesting seems to be just a points jersey with a different points allocation.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Turner29 said:

So you're saying Andy Schleck is a good TTer and descender?

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:
Indeed. Just look at Andy Schleck. Amazing all-rounder. He can do just about everything.

...except from TTing, sprinting and descending.

Valverde has certainly been impressive in this Tour...

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
orangerider said:
Valverde definitely the most complete rider. I'd wager money that Sagan could end up accomplishing as much, if not more, given time - Gilbert is too old to take up a serious grand tour GC classification.

Valverde is certainly a great finisher but Evans, for example, is a better TT'er and seems to have more endurance/recovery and climbing consistency - I don't think you can say one is more complete than the other unless you value sprinting ahead of all else.