Why does Wiggins get more favoritism than Menchov? Look a their resumes.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
1,306
0
0
SilentAssassin said:
What I don't like is the media/Versus talking about Wiggins and Evans as the favorites when Menchov has done more in the sport than Wiggins and Evans combined. It's a bit of a disrespect to the Russian Bad Boy.
Thats like saying Samu & Nibali won't be anywhere close to the front... ohh whoops :)

Menchov easily a top 5 contender, especially when he heats up in week 3. Better coaching this year I bet to.
 
gustienordic said:
Thats like saying Samu & Nibali won't be anywhere close to the front... ohh whoops :)

Menchov easily a top 5 contender, especially when he heats up in week 3. Better coaching this year I bet to.
lol, yeh, I heard he hired a swimming coach ;) upped his cadence ;) and started eating rice cakes too ;) GO DENIS!
 
Dec 30, 2011
3,547
0
0
Angliru said:
What hype??? As has been often stated he finished on the podium of the Tour in 2010, then switched teams, a move that resulted in him missing the Tour by no fault of his own. Last year was a disappointment for him but it's a bit too early (he's not in Horner's/Voigt's age category) to not give him his proper respect and consideration on a parcours that favors his talents. If we compare Wiggins' 2010 Tour performance in the first year with Sky then we could reasonably say that making the transition from one team to another is not always a smooth one.
Hype:a widely publicized person or thing

10 Chars..
 
Jan 4, 2010
46
0
0
It's because Wiggins will win this year!!

Don't know if anyone saw Sky sports about two weeks ago, but there was an interview with Wiggins before or after one of the Euro games. He was saying that "when he was a little kid, watching the tdf on tv, that he never imagined that one day he would win the race." Then he stopped and realized what he had let slip out and said that "he never imagined that one day he would be a contender to win the race." (Not exact quotes btw, but you get the idea)

It was a funny slip, unless somehow he has bought the race and the outcome is predetermined.

Personally I don't see him winning, but we'll see what happens in the mountains.
 
moonstation2000 said:
It's because Wiggins will win this year!!

Don't know if anyone saw Sky sports about two weeks ago, but there was an interview with Wiggins before or after one of the Euro games. He was saying that "when he was a little kid, watching the tdf on tv, that he never imagined that one day he would win the race." Then he stopped and realized what he had let slip out and said that "he never imagined that one day he would be a contender to win the race." (Not exact quotes btw, but you get the idea)

It was a funny slip, unless somehow he has bought the race and the outcome is predetermined.

Personally I don't see him winning, but we'll see what happens in the mountains.
In all seriousness I would not rule that out, though crashes etc can obviously decide things too. Races are bought and sold all the time, just ask Vino. ;)
 
Jan 22, 2011
2,843
0
0
The Chicken said:
In all seriousness I would not rule that out, though crashes etc can obviously decide things too. Races are bought and sold all the time, just ask Vino. ;)
I'm sure in that case Katusha could come up with waaaay more money than Sky ever could.
Hell, if this was the case Karpets could have won it for Katusha last year :)
 
SilentAssassin said:
What I don't like is the media/Versus talking about Wiggins and Evans as the favorites when Menchov has done more in the sport than Wiggins and Evans combined. It's a bit of a disrespect to the Russian Bad Boy.
It is disrespectful but I would say Evans has done as much in this sport as Menchov. His TDF win ensures he will be known by everyone- in Australia cycling is growing in popularity- by a lot. In Russia most cyclists i would assume do track ( it is what they seem to be focusing on their national program )

1 WC, 1 TDF in my view is equal to Menchovs' 3 GT's.

Wiggins although he is not yet a GC winner was a very accomplished track rider ( like Cadel in MTB ) and is still one of the best riders at the moment.
 
Jul 20, 2010
247
0
0
Well it's without a doubt that the media wants Wiggins to be the face of cycling as Lance was it would seem. From a marketing perspective it would make sense.
 
Apr 26, 2010
117
0
0
Wiggo gets more love for the following reasons IMHO :

1) British Rider
2) RICH British team.
3) Olympic gold medal winner.
4) Olympics in London this year.
5) Most in form rider this year so far.
6) Awesome side burns.


 

ASK THE COMMUNITY