• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why does Wiggins get more favoritism than Menchov? Look a their resumes.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
patrick767 said:
What has Menchov done lately?

2011: 7th Giro, 5th Vuelta
2012: Russian TT

Wiggins -
2011:
1st British Road Race
1st Dauphine
2nd Worlds ITT
3rd Paris-Nice
3rd Vuelta

2012:
1st Paris-Nice
1st Tour de Romandie
1st Dauphine

Why did OP make this thread again?

The only difference between wiggins and menchov in the 2011 Vuelta was that when Wiggins realized his teammate was better placed then him, he demanded that the red jersey work for him until neither could win.

When Menchov realized his teammate was better placed than him (due to a crash, not due to being worse), he worked for his teammate.

Big Doopie said:
menchov has a thick clinic cloud obscuring him.

Menchov has never tested positive, which is check mate considering wiggins is Lances number 1 pupil.

OctaBech said:
That's twooooooooo YEARS ago!!! Before most people here were born. Surely grandpa Menchov is out of the game, just look at his performance the last 3 days. Menchov didn't even beat Fabian who hasn't won P-R for two years.

Bah, I suck at sarcasm. :)

Nah, that was pretty good:D

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
silverrocket said:
I think you are exactly right, and say that who the "favourites" are is largely driven by the media. I'd be interested in the perspective of a Russian cycling fan that does not understand English.

I would add that the Wiggins-as-favourite hype is also NOT just a product of his stellar run of 1 week races this year, but has building steadily since he got his TdF 4th place in 2009. That certainly has captured the English speaking media's attention more than Menchov's 2nd/3rd place the next year.

I think Wiggins is almost getting 3 years worth of hype after 2 lost years in the Tour while on Sky.

Big Doopie said:
rotflmao.

thanks for that.

i'm heading back to the clinic where reality reigns and willful ignorance takes a backseat.

If you read the rest of the sentence rather than michael moore style pick and choose whatever parts of a sentence you wish, you would realize that i fully aknowledge how thick the case against Menchov is.

Its just that since he has never tested positive, Armstrongs number 1 fanboy - wiggins, has absolutely no case.

Caruut said:
I think Wiggins is almost getting 3 years worth of hype after 2 lost years in the Tour while on Sky.

Lets not forget that Wiggins according to the bookmakers is more of a certainty to win this than Armstrong at his absolute peak. You know when he was taking yellow on the first day and winning by 20 minutes delibarate hyperbole dont get your knickers twisted up yall

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Nah wiggo has as much charisma as menchov has.
GC riders like alberto, andy, nibali and maybe even evans have more charisma.

Quiet Menchov > Whinner Evans.

If Menchov has the form I think he does, he'll climb better then wiggins here.

But he'll probably lose it on a crash or descent somewhere else.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Swabian Lass said:
Depends which Menchov has shown up for Le Tour. The Menchov who wins GTs or the Menchov who falls off his bike.

I'd love it to be the first one, but his recent form isn't too promising.

Haha, you´re right, the Menchov to Pratonevoso in 2008 is legendary!! :D Falling off his bike on a climb :D

And I´m glad he didn´t lose his Giro in 09 in that TT crash... :eek:

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone noticed but after stage 3 I believe they didn't even list Menchov as 6th in the overrall standings. Man, talk about silent....he isn't even in the race according to the yellow jersey standings after stage 3, lol.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
I'm not sure if anyone noticed but after stage 3 I believe they didn't even list Menchov as 6th in the overrall standings. Man, talk about silent....he isn't even in the race according to the yellow jersey standings after stage 3, lol.

Indeed there was a bit of confusion whether he was involved in crash and therefore legible for the 3km rule or not.. only after a while did they spot him I heard.. indeed he is quiet, yet I believe all the hype for him on this forum has probably spoiled his stealth attack considering all the cyclists who read the forum :p

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Any cyclist who needs to use a message board to help them remember Denis Menchov is a threat is a complete idiot. Maybe he's easy for fans to overlook thanks to his quiet accumulation of results and the lack of media furore about him, but this is their job.

The thing is that his accumulation of results has declined a bit recently so he may be a bit more inconspicous but I do agree with your point other than that.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:

lol! Haha menchov is a cool guy. Does not need all the media attention and stuff but he rides like a boss :cool:

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
What I don't like is the media/Versus talking about Wiggins and Evans as the favorites when Menchov has done more in the sport than Wiggins and Evans combined. It's a bit of a disrespect to the Russian Bad Boy.

SilentAssassin said:
What I don't like is the media/Versus talking about Wiggins and Evans as the favorites when Menchov has done more in the sport than Wiggins and Evans combined. It's a bit of a disrespect to the Russian Bad Boy.

History these days is what happened about five minutes ago. The real fans respect Menchov's achievements and talent. Some of the media have already turned the race into a England versus Australia battle. The usual hype by the media whether it is accurate or not.

Froome19 said:
Indeed there was a bit of confusion whether he was involved in crash and therefore legible for the 3km rule or not.. only after a while did they spot him I heard.. indeed he is quiet, yet I believe all the hype for him on this forum has probably spoiled his stealth attack considering all the cyclists who read the forum :p

What hype??? As has been often stated he finished on the podium of the Tour in 2010, then switched teams, a move that resulted in him missing the Tour by no fault of his own. Last year was a disappointment for him but it's a bit too early (he's not in Horner's/Voigt's age category) to not give him his proper respect and consideration on a parcours that favors his talents. If we compare Wiggins' 2010 Tour performance in the first year with Sky then we could reasonably say that making the transition from one team to another is not always a smooth one.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Menchov probably should be being talked about more. But it's to his benefit if people forget about him.

That's how a "Silent Assassin" works, no?

TRENDING THREADS