• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why doping?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
"...you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women."

--Tony Montana

IMO, doping comes from many peoples' cost benefit analysis leading them to think they will gain something and likely not get caught. Whether the gain is financial or personal (ego) satisfaction (masters racers), or both, the decision to dope is driven by the belief (correct or otherwise) that the gain out weighs the risk.

Most humans seem to have a hard time accurately assessing risk, and an even harder time predicting the future though.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
lean said:
wrong again.

trust me, i read the entire link and i'm not the one looking for cognitive shortcuts. Occams's razor is meant to drive the creation of theory. ie the simplest explanation is the one we should test first. if our first theory fails to explain phenomenon we test the next most logical or simple explanation. this is instead of testing elaborate theories first which would be clumsy and inefficient. the conclusions you draw from it in this case are also dead wrong.

specific to our topic, anti-doping is more complex than financial gain. how do you explain over-competive masters choosing to dope for little or no prize money? athletes arrive at the decision to use PEDs many different ways. many factors like the psychology of the individual, a culture of permissiveness, and the likelihood of detection, just to name a few, are playing into it and each factor carries different weight for different athletes. the links i provided explain numerous decision making models created by people more knowledgable about the subject than the BOTH of us. to say that PED use is simple is untenable. to say anti-doping is complex is tautology. (some more vocabulary homework for you to wiki)

that ends our discussion, i won't subject other forum readers to this type of off topic back and forth.

That's not the only use of the Razor in science. That wiki article needs some major revision and clarification. There are other interpretations and applications. Case in point: parsimony model(s) of evolution. In parsimony the Razor actually is the axiom upon which the theory is based.

Not that we need to add more pedantry to this thread, but I couldn't resist.