• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why has no American politician spoken on the USADA report

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
It is a disgrace. As an American, i can only hide in the shame, that no politician, President, congressman has spoken out about this report and condemned the cheating, lies and deceit that this report reveals.

Yes its election time and this can be a red button topic that may get you elected or dis-elected but just for the sake of what is right and wrong, SPEAK OUT!! It tells you the lack of moral validity that the US political scene, no morals, no principles, I don't care. But you should care, this system, this man LA ruined the lifes of many potential young American pro riders and fed millions others with a false sense of heroism.

He is now as much an American hero as Marion Jones, a basement hero or dotted line. Speak out for the sake of the young Americans coming up, the Danielsons and the like, let them know what America is truly about. The leadership not speaking out is an indirect statement that American principles have become as gray as the Lance defence of his fake empire.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
John McCain spoke out in support of USADA both a few months ago and several days ago, after the reasoned decision was released. I think it might have just been on twitter, but he was clear in his support.

As much as I disagree with most of his politics, I have to applaud him for standing up for USADA when other smarmy politicians are being influenced to try to bring them down.

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I think that the silence among those who spoke out against the USADA is quite telling. When one considers the scope of the evidence outlined in the Reasoned Decision document, it no longer seems reasonable to argue that the USADA is needlessly blowing taxpayer money on a witch hunt.

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
jilbiker said:
It is a disgrace. As an American, i can only hide in the shame, that no politician, President, congressman has spoken out about this report and condemned the cheating, lies and deceit that this report reveals.

:rolleyes:

Where are you hiding? Will you be coming out for meals or use the bathroom?

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
jilbiker said:

Yes its election time and this can be a red button topic that may get you elected or dis-elected but just for the sake of what is right and wrong, SPEAK OUT!! It tells you the lack of moral validity that the US political scene, no morals, no principles, I don't care. But you should care, this system, this man LA ruined the lifes of many potential young American pro riders and fed millions others with a false sense of heroism.

He is now as much an American hero as Marion Jones, a basement hero or dotted line. Speak out for the sake of the young Americans coming up, the Danielsons and the like, let them know what America is truly about. The leadership not speaking out is an indirect statement that American principles have become as gray as the Lance defence of his fake empire.

It's a tie. I am wondering which you know less about pro bike racing,politics or cancer? Armstrong is a crumb, period. Comments about Armstrong for/against could be explosive right before the election. If a politician ever said anything positive about the old Armstrong, the one that won all the races, beat cancer and raised stadiums full of cash for deathly sick people he or she may not want to associated with rev.2 doper Armstrong. Maybe the best to wait until the latter weeks in November.

You appear to not understand just how low the USADA is on the criminal justice totem pole, It's not the lowest but traffic cops and Dog The Bounty Hunter share the same office.

Any politician that did 1 or more hours of research about pro bike racing history would discover that drugs have been used since the 30's, yes the 1930's. Not exactly a wow moment for most political careers.

The USADA is exactly the kind of agency that many right leaning republicans want to do away with. Dems and Reps are probably in no big hurry to let Joe Public know that they spent $50,000,000 dollars to overturn race results in France. No a big career issue to include in a speech" I am the one the started to clean up pro bike racing in 2012" . Not a big vote getter.

If Lance had an ion of intelligence he would put in a compartment his fight and victory with cancer, which also used drugs and doctors . people got behind that race and victory. When he combines those other drug activities and doctor assistance people get mad. If you are a politician you don't want people to already become mad with anything you say even if it's about Lance. Lance is not even as important as Big Bird in US political circles right now.

Emphasis on anything bicycle may sink your chance of keeping your job as a politician.

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they're quiet because the big choad gave them a sizeable donation at some point in their election. Isn't that how it usually works? Er... the buying your silence thing.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
jilbiker said:

I actually feel very proud to be an American. Only in our country, we have people who have guts to reveal the whole truth. Things like this if happened in Britain, Spain or Belgium, it probably will be covered forever.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
I actually feel very proud to be an American. Only in our country, we have people who have guts to reveal the whole truth. Things like this if happened in Britain, Spain or Belgium, it probably will be covered forever.

You are not mad about the 40 million and all the regular police and prosecutors not finding anything ? That all the other sports are going along fine with billions of dollars coming in, in spite of head injuries and medical problems drug use seen even at the lowest level? do you really think that a non-court like the USADA really sent a message to all sports? or just to the super tiny US cycling community? Is popping a major drug dealer and user like Armstrong that was so specifically targeted really means anything to all the rest of drugs ? The ones being used by athletes from grade school to masters racers? Proud to me would have been for the government to stop pro bike racing in the US, cocck fighting and pro wrestling has a better history than bike racing.

If a tenth of baseball drugs and drug users were detected and targeted cycling would look sterile. The cops are doing the minimum

May 19, 2011
Visit site
fatandfast said:
You are not mad about the 40 million and all the regular police and prosecutors not finding anything ? That all the other sports are going along fine with billions of dollars coming in, in spite of head injuries and medical problems drug use seen even at the lowest level? do you really think that a non-court like the USADA really sent a message to all sports? or just to the super tiny US cycling community? Is popping a major drug dealer and user like Armstrong that was so specifically targeted really means anything to all the rest of drugs ? The ones being used by athletes from grade school to masters racers? Proud to me would have been for the government to stop pro bike racing in the US, cocck fighting and pro wrestling has a better history than bike racing.

If a tenth of baseball drugs and drug users were detected and targeted cycling would look sterile. The cops are doing the minimum

that is another issue unrelated to my poster. I am glad truth eventually come out, and in Cycling we are doing much better than other fellow countries.

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
fatandfast said:
You are not mad about the 40 million and all the regular police and prosecutors not finding anything ?

If the USDA hadn't subpoenaed the witnesses to testify before grand jury, then I'm guessing it would have been a lot harder to convince witnesses to depose for the USADA. The police and prosecutors unearthed a lot of information, which made it easier for the USADA to find the same information.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:

Are you sure you don't wanna rephrase that, laddy? Your people found the "guts" to say something when cornered into it almost 10 years after the fact. Did you ever hear of Christophe Bassons or Filippo Simeoni? That's people, who are NOT from America and those people spilled the beans without being pressured into it by anything but their own conscience. And they took verbal and physical abuse as a return, not a meaningless out-of-season ban.
The Freiburg report uncovered the drug network in Germany when Armstrong was still a bloody national hero and both cartells were operating at the same time.

Gutsy my ar$e :rolleyes:

snackattack

BANNED
Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Lukenwolf said:
Gutsy my ar$e :rolleyes:

nn.jpg

+1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
The USADA is exactly the kind of agency that many right leaning republicans want to do away with. Dems and Reps are probably in no big hurry to let Joe Public know that they spent $50,000,000 dollars to overturn race results in France.

fatandfast said:
You are not mad about the 40 million and all the regular police and prosecutors not finding anything ?

40 or 50, which is it? Lance claims 500 tests, I think you should claim $500 million, as that would be more impressive.

Fact: USADA's total annual grant from the government, covering everything they do, is $10 million. See page 37 of this link: http://www.usada.org/uploads/annualreport/2010 usada ar.final.pdf

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
kielbasa said:
What a waste of taxpayers money. It would be better spent on about 4 minutes of this:

www.usdebtclock.org

:rolleyes:

Are you serious? :eek: Bringing down a fraudulent criminal, who engaged in sporting fraud, blackmail, drug trafficking and cheated millions of Americans out of their money by setting up a bogus charity is not woth 10.000.000 a year?

How about proposing a deal to your gouvernment: Take the 10.000.000 that so far went to the USADA, spend it for reducing the deficit. Then you close the concentration camp in Guantanamo and all the money that so far went into maintaining that goes to the USADA instead. See - double win :)

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Lukenwolf said:
Are you serious? :eek: Bringing down a fraudulent criminal, who engaged in sporting fraud, blackmail, drug trafficking and cheated millions of Americans out of their money by setting up a bogus charity is not woth 10.000.000 a year?

How about proposing a deal to your gouvernment: Take the 10.000.000 that so far went to the USADA, spend it for reducing the deficit. Then you close the concentration camp in Guantanamo and all the money that so far went into maintaining that goes to the USADA instead. See - double win :)

No, I wasn't. The ":rolleyes:" smiley is generally understood to mean sarcasm. Why close Gitmo when 9/10 North Koreans would prefer to live there. :rolleyes: