• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why isn't Evans ever on a good team?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
No, I said Evans is screwed in general and his team would get massacred on today's stage.

If Vino falters tomorrow then I can see BMC not making it to the final week with many riders.

I don't think we can use Vino's Vuelta performance last year to predict anything. He was just coming off a suspension. He got stronger every race after the Vuelta and was a player in Lombardy. I think he will be strong the whole Giro. He will likely have his usual bad day in the high mountains, and Evans usual consistency will win out.

Correction. You said tomorrow should be a BMC massacre. Well it was and it wasn't.

Vino won't falter tomorrow. He did say Evans riding was so strong. Vino, Mr Big Bad Kazakh rider. Sounds like Vino knows he is in for a real battle.

Yes you can use the Vuelta to make a prediction. The prediction that can be made is rather obvious. The Vuelta was his first major race in two years. He did alright for the first 14 days. We can expect him to do better in the Giro, as you said, for the whole Giro. He should podium.

Then we have this little piece. Is it me or are there too many non thinkers roaming these forums? The type of person who takes offence at one post and fails to sit back and think things through and place what was said in the proper context. Judge for yourself.

autologous said:
Poor dumb Vino, never ridden a hard grand tour stage in the dirt, never ridden a brutal spring classic, only just figuring out this tricky pedaling thing and the relationship between gear and cadence and the efficiency of his own motor. He should listen to someone that obviously knows from experience.

Yeah, that's it. You tell Vino how to pedal a bike.

While you're at it, tell the 180+ world class riders that he just buried.

What are you doing slumming it on an internet forum? shouldn't you be making 6 figures consulting with pro teams, showing them how to pedal, having them try to imitate your glorious skills?

Boo hoo newbie. Feel like a big boy? Did you even watch what happened? What did Vino do no less than 3 times in the last 10km? He attacked. Read the race report. He said he was going for the win but Evans was too strong. Look at his face. He was gone. He had the same face the day he dropped 20 plus minutes in the Tour in 2007.

Answer this for me. When was the last time your rode up a dirt gradient over 6%? Better yet when was the last time you did it in the rain? What it a really silly thing to do?

Consider all things equal and Vino's intention at the time....Nibali dropped, in pink by a minute and aiming for the win. Why would you drop the gears down? Could an elevated heart rate have something to do with it? What causes an elevated HR and what happens if it doesn't lower? Attacking or riding too hard and if you don't go down a notch you blow out. Duh! Try it out yourself. Principle is the same for most people (Contador is excluded), regardless of talent.

Vino went hard each attack and before each one he was in a really low gear spinning a much faster cadence than Evans. Why would he do that? I forgot...his own word, "Evans was so strong on the hill." Vino tried to pop Cadel, almost blew out, dropped it down a notch and tried to recover. Then when he had dropped it by about 10-15 beats he went again. What Vino is famous for...animating the race. A strategy that often comes back to bite him in his behind. He would have been better to pace all the way up and then have one big crack near the end. Foresight? Nah, common sense regarding a concept many others touched on in the stage 7 thread. But hey, I like Vino so I don't care. Good on him.

Open your eyes next time and compare it to yourself or anyone else on a dirt climb. Principles are the same, rider capabilities are different. Vino's strategy was silly because grip was terrible. Spinning a low gear in poor grip always waste's energy. Ask an engineer about torque. Better yet use your brain and match what you see with common sense and personal experience. I did. I saw Cadel accelerate and his rear wheel was going all over the screen. He was spinning a higher gear. Immediately I looked at Vino and saw a much higher cadence and lower gear utilisation. Experience and my brain told me that wasn't the brightest idea. Then I watched and understood why he did it when he attacked. How did it all fair out for Vino? Did it look like his HR peaked too high? Yes. Did he ride afterwards in the best way to recover, aka, low gear? Yes. Hmmmmmnnnnn. Whose the idiot for pointing out a simple fault given the race conditions and weather? Not me. Could the fool in this case be the complainer? Rhetorical question, best you not answer.:eek:

But hey, why don't I get all huffy and upset because someone posts their opinion on what they saw! Your new so I couldn't care less. I loved the melodramatic reply though. Gather that your zeal and imagination are running into over drive. Plenty of newbie's to the forum take the same high and mighty stance. Be offended if it gives you a kick. No offense was intended. But please use your brain or I can't promise you next time someone won't tear sheads off of you.

In case you were wondering. I just found a reliable phone number for Astana and I was going to ring and ask for a DS position. God knows they need all the help they can get with Vino in pink! ;)

Get over it and use to it around here. You won't last long on these forums with such a weak tolerance for anything that spoils your beliefs. I only pointed it out because I don't want to see Vino in the dirt taking a spill or wasting needless energy. He will need every bit he has because he knows better than anyone here how strong Cadel is right now. Vino did say Cadel was too strong. Think that's going to change?:D

Galic Ho said:
Yes you can use the Vuelta to make a prediction. The prediction that can be made is rather obvious. The Vuelta was his first major race in two years. He did alright for the first 14 days. We can expect him to do better in the Giro, as you said, for the whole Giro. He should podium.

I think you overstate the performance of Vino at the Vuelta. He lost 9 minutes to Alto de Aitana (Stage 8), cracked like an egg on Xorret del Catí, losing another 10 minutes (stage 9) coming in behind such noted climbers as André Greipel and Ignatas Konovalovas. He did claw some time back with a decent showing in the break on stage 10, coming 4th. He got into the break on stage 12, but well before the finish on the Alto de Velefique he bonked, the péloton rode past him and spat him out the back in short order, and he watched the sprinters go past him, then got off and climbed into the team car. 'Alright' was only in fits and bursts. But then again, to think anybody can get back on the bike and after less than a month of competition after two years off race a Grand Tour is fanciful at best.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I think you overstate the performance of Vino at the Vuelta. He lost 9 minutes to Alto de Aitana (Stage 8), cracked like an egg on Xorret del Catí, losing another 10 minutes (stage 9) coming in behind such noted climbers as André Greipel and Ignatas Konovalovas. He did claw some time back with a decent showing in the break on stage 10, coming 4th. He got into the break on stage 12, but well before the finish on the Alto de Velefique he bonked, the péloton rode past him and spat him out the back in short order, and he watched the sprinters go past him, then got off and climbed into the team car. 'Alright' was only in fits and bursts. But then again, to think anybody can get back on the bike and after less than a month of competition after two years off race a Grand Tour is fanciful at best.

Alright for two years off. Not great by any means of course. Vino was at least seen in the race. He said himself it would take him more than a few months to be back up to speed. Recent months have shown he is back to his old self. No pun intended in the last sentence. Compare him to now and last September and take in the last few months performances and what Vino was known for before his ban. I wasn't surprised by any of it. Also wasn't surprised when he made a move at the beginning of the final lap in Mendrisio. Vino has style and shows it. Someone the camera gravitates towards. Hopefully he and Evans make a race of it with Liquigas and maybe, just maybe, Carlos can pull off a miracle and get on the podium. If Carlos cannot, I'll put Basso down for third.

Galic Ho said:
Correction. You said tomorrow should be a BMC massacre. Well it was and it wasn't.

I would say having none of Evans support finish in the top third of the field and many finishing right at the bottom is pretty much a massacre. More disturbing was what happened to BMC on Friday, which was not a very hard stage. Combine those two performance with stage 3 and we have three out of five road stages where BMC fell apart. And that was during the first week. It does not bode well for what will happen to them during the last week.

Galic Ho said:

That is a prediction that is no better than predicting the sun will come up tomorrow. If he finishes the Giro in last place then he will have done better than the 2009 Vuelta.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
ACF94, BroDeal calls it right far more often than you do. He isn't exaggerating about BMC. He also said Evans was on fire right now so he is giving Cadel credit, but telling it as it is about his team at the same time.

[quote/]
I was agreeing with him in a sense that they had nobody there but it wasn't a pure massacre as everyone was all over the place.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Would it not be funny if Evans won the Giro and then went on to win the Tour, doing the double and proving a certain Texan who never dared attempt it himself that it was still possible?

Yes, I think you having an epiphany about evans Bro.:D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If Evans can keept racing the way he has since October then I will be come a fan.

Waiting to see him attack and drop Basso in the mountains.

Don't think he will tommorow. I personally now think tommorows racing might be a bit negated due to everyone being tired after the slog fest yesterday.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Do you think Contador will now see Evans has his main threat in the tour this year? He's the only guy to beat AC in a race where AC was at the end, and now we see him going from strength to strength in the Giro.

AC must be a worried man.

Eyjafjallajokull said:
Do you think Contador will now see Evans has his main threat in the tour this year? He's the only guy to beat AC in a race where AC was at the end, and now we see him going from strength to strength in the Giro.

AC must be a worried man.

No, Levi!

Super Time-Trialing magic and crushing him on a MTF in 2007!

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
No, Levi!

Super Time-Trialing magic and crushing him on a MTF in 2007!

that was 3 years ago. remember levi is going to be closer to 40 than 30 this time around. as for CE beating alberto on a 1day race says nothing how many 1day races has CE targeted and won before alberto started being serious about it.

robertocarlos said:
that was 3 years ago. remember levi is going to be closer to 40 than 30 this time around. as for CE beating alberto on a 1day race says nothing how many 1day races has CE targeted and won before alberto started being serious about it.

Don't worry. Juan Ponce de Leon never found a fountain of youth that worked better than a stiff shot of Hog Juice. Leipheimer and all the other Retirement Shack geezers will be partying like it's 1999.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Don't worry. Juan Ponce de Leon never found a fountain of youth that worked better than a stiff shot of Hog Juice. Leipheimer and all the other Retirement Shack geezers will be partying like it's 1999.

I can't see them doping anymore than they may have done last year with the Pelizotti case and everything.

Evans must be AC's main rival now.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

what ****es me off it is that they could have increase the manager pay or comisions, but no they had to go out and sponsor a team that has had only a few 2nd rate wins. most people on my side of town hate lance or do not know care who he is.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Would it not be funny if Evans won the Giro and then went on to win the Tour, doing the double and proving to a certain Texan who never dared attempt it himself that it was still possible?

Don't tell ACF94 that! He will have a field day with that kind of statement.

About the BMC massacre. Massacre for everyone but Evans. Him winning a stage undoes the bad. But you are right about the 3 out of 5 road days. They've been torn to shreds.

I looked at the overall categories for the race. BMC are 17th out of 22 teams. Not the worst. Garmin is 20th and Millar is in 3rd on GC. Cameron Meyer is in the bottom 5 riders and Jack Bobridge is dead last in 191st. I don't think Millar or Evans will see many team mates for the rest of the Giro.

Really looking forward to the final top 10. Millar can make it, so to Gerdemann. Be good for their confidence and reputation as clean riders. Wonder if anyone else here thinks Cunego might be able to top 5?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Don't tell ACF94 that! He will have a field day with that kind of statement.

About the BMC massacre. Massacre for everyone but Evans. Him winning a stage undoes the bad. But you are right about the 3 out of 5 road days. They've been torn to shreds.

I looked at the overall categories for the race. BMC are 17th out of 22 teams. Not the worst. Garmin is 20th and Millar is in 3rd on GC. Cameron Meyer is in the bottom 5 riders and Jack Bobridge is dead last in 191st. I don't think Millar or Evans will see many team mates for the rest of the Giro.

Really looking forward to the final top 10. Millar can make it, so to Gerdemann. Be good for their confidence and reputation as clean riders. Wonder if anyone else here thinks Cunego might be able to top 5?

I really don't think millar can make top 10. This is a monster course.
and when did he become a sudden GT man?

--- he has had a good giro so far, but it wont last.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Boo hoo newbie. Feel like a big boy? Did you even watch what happened? What did Vino do no less than 3 times in the last 10km? He attacked. Read the race report. He said he was going for the win but Evans was too strong. Look at his face. He was gone. He had the same face the day he dropped 20 plus minutes in the Tour in 2007.

Answer this for me. When was the last time your rode up a dirt gradient over 6%? Better yet when was the last time you did it in the rain? What it a really silly thing to do?

Consider all things equal and Vino's intention at the time....Nibali dropped, in pink by a minute and aiming for the win. Why would you drop the gears down? Could an elevated heart rate have something to do with it? What causes an elevated HR and what happens if it doesn't lower? Attacking or riding too hard and if you don't go down a notch you blow out. Duh! Try it out yourself. Principle is the same for most people (Contador is excluded), regardless of talent.

Vino went hard each attack and before each one he was in a really low gear spinning a much faster cadence than Evans. Why would he do that? I forgot...his own word, "Evans was so strong on the hill." Vino tried to pop Cadel, almost blew out, dropped it down a notch and tried to recover. Then when he had dropped it by about 10-15 beats he went again. What Vino is famous for...animating the race. A strategy that often comes back to bite him in his behind. He would have been better to pace all the way up and then have one big crack near the end. Foresight? Nah, common sense regarding a concept many others touched on in the stage 7 thread. But hey, I like Vino so I don't care. Good on him.

Open your eyes next time and compare it to yourself or anyone else on a dirt climb. Principles are the same, rider capabilities are different. Vino's strategy was silly because grip was terrible. Spinning a low gear in poor grip always waste's energy. Ask an engineer about torque. Better yet use your brain and match what you see with common sense and personal experience. I did. I saw Cadel accelerate and his rear wheel was going all over the screen. He was spinning a higher gear. Immediately I looked at Vino and saw a much higher cadence and lower gear utilisation. Experience and my brain told me that wasn't the brightest idea. Then I watched and understood why he did it when he attacked. How did it all fair out for Vino? Did it look like his HR peaked too high? Yes. Did he ride afterwards in the best way to recover, aka, low gear? Yes. Hmmmmmnnnnn. Whose the idiot for pointing out a simple fault given the race conditions and weather? Not me. Could the fool in this case be the complainer? Rhetorical question, best you not answer.:eek:

But hey, why don't I get all huffy and upset because someone posts their opinion on what they saw! Your new so I couldn't care less. I loved the melodramatic reply though. Gather that your zeal and imagination are running into over drive. Plenty of newbie's to the forum take the same high and mighty stance. Be offended if it gives you a kick. No offense was intended. But please use your brain or I can't promise you next time someone won't tear sheads off of you.

In case you were wondering. I just found a reliable phone number for Astana and I was going to ring and ask for a DS position. God knows they need all the help they can get with Vino in pink! ]

Galic Ho said:
Last edited by Galic Ho]Reason: syntax[/B]

I don't think your editing for syntax was thorough enough. So much verbal effluent to say so little. Try organizing your thoughts and coming up with an idea. Then try and express it. Coherently.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
autologous said:
I don't think your editing for syntax was thorough enough. So much verbal effluent to say so little. Try organizing your thoughts and coming up with an idea. Then try and express it. Coherently.

Instead of picking other people's posts, you could show us how it should be done. I think it's called leading by example.

TRENDING THREADS