• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why it DOES matter that Lance goes down.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
I never saw that commercial before now. Wow, that he'd actually make a Nike commercial on their dime that summarizes his feeble defense. Nike's execs start to come off worse than Lance, in my mind. They know what's going on and I hope the marketplace rewards them accordingly. Not likely, though.

It aired a few times in the Versus TV coverage of the 2010 TdF, I know. The backlash to it was louder than expected, and I do not think it got much air time after mid-July 2010, especially after Armstrong was out of contention for the GC.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
jimbob_in_co said:
It aired a few times in the Versus TV coverage of the 2010 TdF, I know. The backlash to it was louder than expected, and I do not think it got much air time after mid-July 2010, especially after Armstrong was out of contention for the GC.

Still, that it passed the "smell test" with Nike is really screwed up. It's not like they have no ears or eyes.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
I never saw that commercial before now. Wow, that he'd actually make a Nike commercial on their dime that summarizes his feeble defense. Nike's execs start to come off worse than Lance, in my mind. They know what's going on and I hope the marketplace rewards them accordingly. Not likely, though.

It's no different than "Sad Tiger" giving the ad agency a letter written to him by his dead father, saying "Hey, make a commercial out of this to make me look more humble", getting up out of bed, putting on his Nike Hat and going to stand in front of a camera like this:

tiger-sad.jpg

"Ok, now Tiger, move your head a little to the left. Makeup! A little to the right. Get me a light meter reading right here John. OK now Tiger. Look SAD. Cut! No sorry... I mean distraught. Think back to a time when your dad whooped you for not making a put and instead making a fart joke when you were 6... OK THAT's it. ROLL CAMERAS!.......Speed..... ACTION! OK folks, let me see the monitor.... OK, we got it. Very good shoot folks!"

Meanwhile, his wife is sitting at home, absolutely humilated.
That was a sickening display, was it not?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
I understand your point and----- your example of Contador is also on point.

I just think the amount of hate would be less if he had won the tour less times.

Your points bolded above are the largest reasons he is disliked more,,,,,, I do agree with that.

I think the biggest issue was that he came back.

If 2009 and 2010 hadn't happened, I don't think people would have gone after him as hard. He may have had the same issues with Novitsky, but I think the comeback ****ed off a lot of cycling fans who were happy to see him go due to doping concerns, but would have just let it lie if he hadn't re-inserted himself into the game.

While people bring it up, for the most part Riis doesn't get hammered that hard despite being an admitted doper. Idurain doesn't get hit despite many suspicians. People largely idolize Pantani.

Time largely lets people forget about the negative and remember the positive. Lance screwed the pooch by making himself current again.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
It's no different than "Sad Tiger" giving the ad agency a letter written to him by his father, saying "Hey, make a commercial out of this to make me look more humble", getting up out of bed, putting on his Nike Hat and going to stand in front of a camera like this:

Totally sickening. But Tiger only screwed his family and a bunch of complicit women. Lance's inclusion of his foundation, alleged anti-cancer crusade; that takes commercial opportunism to a cynically new level. Nike sucks big time and need to hear it. In that regard Lance is much more obviously just an ignorant pawn...

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Lance is an epic individual, believe it. If you want to think small and be a hater be my guest. Life is a great adventure,Lance has conquered life and if your thing is to take pot-shots at Lance be my guest.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
It's no different than "Sad Tiger" giving the ad agency a letter written to him by his father, saying "Hey, make a commercial out of this to make me look more humble", getting up out of bed, putting on his Nike Hat and going to stand in front of a camera like this:

tiger-sad.jpg

"Ok, now Tiger, move your head a little to the left. Makeup! A little to the right. Get me a light meter reading right here John. OK now Tiger. Look SAD. Cut! No sorry... I mean distraught. Think back to a time when your dad whooped you for not making a put and instead making a fart joke when you were 6... OK THAT's it. ROLL CAMERAS!.......Speed..... ACTION! OK folks, let me see the monitor.... OK, we got it. Very good shoot folks!"

The only thing you forgot was at the begining...... "All women clear the set".

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Well Bjarne and Indurain seem to shirk mainstream media exposure and not being anglophone helps. Also Pantani has a lot of sympathy due to the manner in which he died.

I think the mainstream exposure of Comeback 2.0 ****ed him. If he came back quietly maybe it would of been different.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Lance is an epic individual, believe it. If you want to think small and be a hater be my guest. Life is a great adventure,Lance has conquered life and if your thing is to take pot-shots at Lance be my guest.

Much the way that the tsunami of 2005 was an "epic" disaster.

What's the word... the one that means famous, but in a bad way? Infamous. Lance is now infamous.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Totally sickening. But Tiger only screwed his family and a bunch of complicit women. Lance's inclusion of his foundation, alleged anti-cancer crusade; that takes commercial opportunism to a cynically new level. Nike sucks big time and need to hear it. In that regard Lance is much more obviously just an ignorant pawn...

I totally agree. I was just using Tiger for context and to show that Nike really has some questionable morals of their own. I wonder what spineless marketing sod at Nike (or the account weasel at Weiden & Kennedy) came up with the concept. That person would be the real piece-o-work.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Much the way that the tsunami of 2005 was an "epic" disaster.

What's the word... the one that means famous, but in a bad way? Infamous. Lance is now infamous.

Funny how much money Lance and Tiger has made for his sponsors.

Lance doper nah. Tiger si. Tigers actions and bulking up quickly busted him in my eyes.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
One major difference between Tiger & LA - Tigers am, transgressions hit his 'family man' image, but it did not take away from his athletic performance.

Armstrong being done for PEDs will have many questioning his actual ability.

Another beauty from Nike:
1zvrcwo.jpg

The caption:
This is my body, I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it, study it, tweak it, listen to it.
Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass 6 hours a day.
What are you on?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
Can we leave Tiger out of this?

This Tiger talk is from a womans' point of view my wife an OR nurse. She works with patients all day long including body building cons. Same her opinion Lance.

The issue with Floyd comes from a woman also. Floyd was burned, big time.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly, only two star athletes have a direct connection to the experimental blood product called ActoVegin. Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods.

And no, I'm not leaving Tiger out of this. I think there's more under the hood here and perhaps many parallels.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
This Tiger talk is from a womans' point of view my wife an OR nurse. She works with patients all day long including body building cons. Same her opinion Lance.

The issue with Floyd comes from a woman also. Floyd was burned, big time.

What about Floyd's wife who had to get a divorce and sell her home from under her daughter's feet, all because this dork couldn't stand up and own his actions. Oh, and her father-in-law offed himself because of the shame. Yeah, he really got burned.

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly they also share the same interest in blonde, white women. However only one sleeps with them because they look like his mother.

So many parallels.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
Interestingly they also share the same interest in blonde, white women. However one does sleep with them because they look like his mother.

So many parallels.

You don't see a psycological / behavioral / deceptive actions link between Tiger and Lance? Narcissistic personality disorder, etc?

I think these two guys would have a LOT to talk about while sitting in the same 12-step meeting.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
What about Floyd's wife who had to get a divorce and sell her home from under her daughter's feet, all because this dork couldn't stand up and own his actions. Oh, and her father-in-law offed himself because of the shame. Yeah, he really got burned.

I am sorry Floyds' father in law commited suicide. Was it Floyds' fault? Did Amber condone Floyds' doping before he was caught?
Did the doping people test the other contestants with the same vigor?

My guess is Floyd was no more doped then any of his fellow competitors.

The rest, I don't know and I do not think it pertinent. I know for sure Floyd loved his family and was hurt by what went down.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
You don't see a psycological / behavioral / deceptive actions link between Tiger and Lance? Narcissistic personality disorder, etc?

I think these two guys would have a LOT to talk about while sitting in the same 12-step meeting.

That is true, but their family upbringings are quite different. As far as Lances' preferences in mates or tiger woods interests in women, I do not think it is pertinent. What is pertinent is that Tiger had a problem which caused a hilareous incident and much embarasment.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Nice long post - so where have I "demanded evidence" as you stated?
If you can't back it up you lied.

If you have nothing to add to the subject of this thread then stop trolling.

You're opening post is trolling in a way....

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
One major difference between Tiger & LA - Tigers am, transgressions hit his 'family man' image, but it did not take away from his athletic performance.

Armstrong being done for PEDs will have many questioning his actual ability.

Another beauty from Nike:
1zvrcwo.jpg

The caption:

So you don't think he trained his **** off to win the TdF? Or was it just the dope?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
That is true, but their family upbringings are quite different. As far as Lances' preferences in mates or tiger woods interests in women, I do not think it is pertinent. What is pertinent is that Tiger had a problem which caused a hilareous incident and much embarasment.

And you don't think going to school and having the other kids call your dad a cheater is humiliating and distressing?

Bottom line, is that they are both "broken" in ways that are very similar.

TRENDING THREADS