• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Tenerife?

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Re:

robertmooreheadlane said:
Mallorca is more expensive, is at the sea level, and it is not so quite and with so good weather, authough is good. Tenerife is beter than Etna, better than Sierra Nevada and clearly better than Navacerrada... just Hawai is similar, that is far away.

And hawaii is full of americans that would shoot cyclists or just run them over !!!

2nd Amendment, Shoot back! LMAO

Re:

danielovichdk2 said:
Ridiculous to think that there is something special about Tenerife in terms of dope. The canarian islands are brilliant for training. Get over it.

Same with St. Moritz, where Armstrong used to meet with his doping doctor and claim altitude. The only things special about Tenerife are altitude cover story and relative remoteness to cover nefarious activity. And I'm sure it's also a good, quiet place to train in the mountains.

Postal used to have training camps in Tenerife run by Ferrari.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
danielovichdk2 said:
Ridiculous to think that there is something special about Tenerife in terms of dope. The canarian islands are brilliant for training. Get over it.
yeah, one of several things they copied /inherited from USPS.
wasn't one of Sky's principle PR slogans "to do things differently"? (e.g. here: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/20147726)
somehow reality always catches up with Sky.

red_flanders said:
danielovichdk2 said:

Same with St. Moritz, where Armstrong used to meet with his doping doctor and claim altitude. The only things special about Tenerife are altitude cover story and relative remoteness to cover nefarious activity. And I'm sure it's also a good, quiet place to train in the mountains.

Not saying they don't dope at Tenerife, just saying it's not the sole reason to train there.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
People need to get their arguments straight. On one hand, Sky are having to travel to a remote mountain in the middle of nowhere to avoid getting caught whilst doping. On the other hand, Richie is currently riding around Italy in a giant doping van. As it's largely the same people arguing both points, perhaps someone could explain the obvious contradictions I have pointed out.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Bernie's eyesore said:
People need to get their arguments straight. On one hand, Sky are having to travel to a remote mountain in the middle of nowhere to avoid getting caught whilst doping. On the other hand, Richie is currently riding around Italy in a giant doping van. As it's largely the same people arguing both points, perhaps someone could explain the obvious contradictions I have pointed out.

What contradictions. Didn't USPS travel to Teide to dope and didn't Ferrari park on Cols in his camper to meet USPS during GTs.

But hey Sky dont dope, they train harder and are more committed than the lazy dopers.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Bernie's eyesore said:

What contradictions. Didn't USPS travel to Teide to dope and didn't Ferrari park on Cols in his camper to meet USPS during GTs.

But hey Sky dont dope, they train harder and are more committed than the lazy dopers.

Why do you always refuse to address the questions raised and start off on some other tangent which has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I posted? I have not said anything about Sky being clean and I have not said that they could not dope in both instances mentioned. Now, maybe you can answer the question I originally posted. Or maybe not given your track record.

Re:

Bernie's eyesore said:

What are the contradictions?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

Bronstein said:
Bernie's eyesore said:

+infinity.

What was the question?

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

Dear Wiggo said:
Bronstein said:
Bernie's eyesore said:

+infinity.

What was the question?

It's four posts up. Hope it doesn't trouble you too much to have to scroll up that far.

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Let's not forget Tinkoff's recent trip to Kilimanjaro. That was a R-E-A-L-L-Y? moment for me. To go as far as climbing Africa's highest peak/volcano to get away from testers as well as get a free pass on the bio passport... That was overkill.

I think all the teams go to Tenerife to make it a lot harder for testing personnel to get to them as well as get quality, and doped up, training away from prying individuals. All the while their unsuspecting families enjoy the amenities of a five star hotel and the perfect weather. Thus they kill five birds with one stone.

Yep, I can't wrap my head around as to why people would go there... And the Sun does not orbit planet Earth folks!

Move on.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

Bernie's eyesore said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Bronstein said:
Bernie's eyesore said:

+infinity.

What was the question?

It's four posts up. Hope it doesn't trouble you too much to have to scroll up that far.

Bernie's eyesore said:

Pretty sure you're not ESL, so the claim that this post ^^^ contains a contradiction is pretty fricken weird.

Could you perhaps be more clear on what it is exactly you find so contradictory?

Re:

The_Cheech said:
Let's not forget Tinkoff's recent trip to Kilimanjaro. That was a R-E-A-L-L-Y? moment for me. To go as far as climbing Africa's highest peak/volcano to get away from testers as well as get a free pass on the bio passport... That was overkill.

I think all the teams go to Tenerife to make it a lot harder for testing personnel to get to them as well as get quality, and doped up, training away from prying individuals. All the while their unsuspecting families enjoy the amenities of a five star hotel and the perfect weather. Thus they kill five birds with one stone.

Yep, I can't wrap my head around as to why people would go there... And the Sun does not orbit planet Earth folks!

Move on.

this!

Re:

Bernie's eyesore said:

There is a difference between "having to" do something and doing something which "makes it easier and safer" to dope.

And no, it's not the same people.

Your "Contradictions" claim supposes the strawman that they "have to" go to Tenerife, when the fact is that going to Tenerife simply "makes it safer" to dope while training. Riders can, have, and will continue to dope during races. It's simply more dangerous.

No contradictions.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

danielovichdk2 said:
The_Cheech said:

Move on.

this!

Just wondering, what's next? Tenerife or stuff like lost colombian village are already mainstream, they should invent something like Antarctica, Sahara or badzilla-threatening african rainforest, or if altitude is the primary concern, we have vast Tibet to be explored.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Bernie's eyesore said:
Benotti69 said:
Bernie's eyesore said:

Why do you always refuse to address the questions raised and start off on some other tangent which has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I posted? I have not said anything about Sky being clean and I have not said that they could not dope in both instances mentioned. Now, maybe you can answer the question I originally posted. Or maybe not given your track record.

7 other posters dont see any contradiction. Neither did i. I gave an example to answer the question.

My 'track' record is clean thank you very much. My road is all over the place, but then again i have been at altitude.... :)

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

Just wondering, what's next? Tenerife or stuff like lost colombian village are already mainstream, they should invent something like Antarctica, Sahara or badzilla-threatening african rainforest, or if altitude is the primary concern, we have vast Tibet to be explored.

Tenerife is the closest place to get to that they don't drug test. If they start sending testers there regularly, nobody will train there anymore. They'll move on to the next closest, out of the way place.

May 12, 2015
Visit site

doperhopper said:
danielovichdk2 said:
The_Cheech said:

Move on.

this!

Another reason why teams go to Tenerife is it's climate: Fall/Winter weather in the island is very similar to the summer weather in the Alps or the Pyrenees.

If your goal is to win the TdF then it makes sense to find a (civilized and nearby) place that has hills with similar %, heat, humidity, et cetera.

Going to too-hot/too-cold/too-high places actually gets in the way of quality training because your body will be spending a great deal of resources just to acclimate itself to the place.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Ferrari explaining possible advantage of training at Tenerife.
In the spring of 2010, some riders of a Pro-Tour team that were training at altitude (on Teide, Tenerife) were subjected to the normal ABP samples. One they received the results of the analysis, considering them unreliable (the values were too high), all it took was a phone call from the team doctor to his friend Dr. Zorzoli, in charge of UCI's doping department, in order to get the results of those tests cleared from the profiles, as deemed inconvenient for the Team and for the sake of the Biological Passport system, which tends not to consider the effects of altitude.
This behavior reminds me of the rather common habit of certain Researchers to hide or simply ignore "inconvenient data", i.e. furthest from the "truth" that they want to prove.
http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=115
As Kerrison says: “People underestimate the impact of being at altitude.”
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/all-aboard-the-magic-bus-3974#Zm3lVAH6VcAxcgWj.99

Re:

The_Cheech said:
...I think all the teams go to Tenerife to make it a lot harder for testing personnel to get to them as well ...

This is not true. Tenerife is possibly one of the easiest places to get to in Europe in terms of connections from different points. If they are not testing on Tenerife it's not because they struggle to get there.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
Ferrari explaining possible advantage of training at Tenerife.
In the spring of 2010, some riders of a Pro-Tour team that were training at altitude (on Teide, Tenerife) were subjected to the normal ABP samples. One they received the results of the analysis, considering them unreliable (the values were too high), all it took was a phone call from the team doctor to his friend Dr. Zorzoli, in charge of UCI's doping department, in order to get the results of those tests cleared from the profiles, as deemed inconvenient for the Team and for the sake of the Biological Passport system, which tends not to consider the effects of altitude.
This behavior reminds me of the rather common habit of certain Researchers to hide or simply ignore "inconvenient data", i.e. furthest from the "truth" that they want to prove.
http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=115
As Kerrison says: “People underestimate the impact of being at altitude.”
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/all-aboard-the-magic-bus-3974#Zm3lVAH6VcAxcgWj.99

the old Technical Instrument Calibration Error <Maxwell Smart voice> or, Machine Calibration Error (MCE)

and Parmalat dairy Butter on Head BOH

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Froomster said:

Tenerife is the closest place to get to that they don't drug test. If they start sending testers there regularly, nobody will train there anymore. They'll move on to the next closest, out of the way place.

yeah, game theory. and even tho Froome sung, he knew this, it was just propaganda from F-dog

TRENDING THREADS