Wigans to miss Amstel Gold....

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 18, 2009
163
0
0
solution

craig1985 said:
Correct, they can only drive for 12 hours, and have to take set breaks in between. If they go even five minutes over the 12 hours (it is all recorded on a chip when they turn the ignition on) can be a fine that costs hundreds of euros.
2 drivers!!!

am I a genius or what?.... no
 
Feb 28, 2010
1,661
0
0
Ferdinand Artichoke said:
2 drivers!!!

am I a genius or what?.... no
This is what they used to do, and the resting diver would sleep in a small cabin in the coach. However they changed the rules such that divers had to rest off the coach. This meant that even with two drivers you ended up having to stop the coach for several hours. I led a coach tour in southern France years ago. We were picked up from Bordeaux airport by a French driver and coach. We got to the hotel at about 11.55 at night, the driver told us that five minutes more and we would not have been able to use the coach until mid-day the following day.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hawkwood said:
This is what they used to do, and the resting diver would sleep in a small cabin in the coach. However they changed the rules such that divers had to rest off the coach. This meant that even with two drivers you ended up having to stop the coach for several hours. I led a coach tour in southern France years ago. We were picked up from Bordeaux airport by a French driver and coach. We got to the hotel at about 11.55 at night, the driver told us that five minutes more and we would not have been able to use the coach until mid-day the following day.
Okay, and they have known there could be a problem since Thursday, so let me do some cipherin' 1 plus 1 plus 1 times 24 divide by 12...someone might have to figure a stop in then so they could do a traning ride (they actually have professionals who can do such things). Fact is that Mr Prissy McHairdo was too much of a wuss to use roads to travel to a country not that far away. I have done some major driving here in the states where things are much further apart, and I DID THE DRIVING. Mr Prissy McHarido would only have had to put up his dogs and relax while listening to whichever British band is this week's hipster revelation.
Sorry, but it is just WEAK SAUCE for him to be sitting in Gerona this Sunday morning.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Hawkwood said:
According to the RAC Route Planner site Madrid to Maastricht is 1034.39 miles or 1664.69 km, and would take 15 hours 10 minutes in a car with no stops. I believe that coach speeds are restricted on the Continent, plus coach drivers are only allowed to drive for so many hours in 24 hours, so I suppose using team coaches this might have taken around 20 hours.
Wiggans isn't in Madrid, he is in Girona.

Girona to Masstricht, 1258km in 11 hours 23 minutes on Google Map's.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Dr. Maserati said:
Wiggans isn't in Madrid, he is in Girona.

Girona to Masstricht, 1258km in 11 hours 23 minutes on Google Map's.
I have been trying to tell them that, but no luck. They just cannot admit that Wigans is a bit soft.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Thoughtforfood said:
Okay, and they have known there could be a problem since Thursday, so let me do some cipherin' 1 plus 1 plus 1 times 24 divide by 12...someone might have to figure a stop in then so they could do a traning ride (they actually have professionals who can do such things). Fact is that Mr Prissy McHairdo was too much of a wuss to use roads to travel to a country not that far away. I have done some major driving here in the states where things are much further apart, and I DID THE DRIVING. Mr Prissy McHarido would only have had to put up his dogs and relax while listening to whichever British band is this week's hipster revelation.
Sorry, but it is just WEAK SAUCE for him to be sitting in Gerona this Sunday morning.
Ah, but what you are forgetting is that Euroland is not like the USA.

I was watching a race last week - these are very typical highways in Euroland.


Also the cars in Euroland are not like the cars in the USA - here isBradley with Dave Brailsford standing beside a typical Euro car.
 
Sep 18, 2009
163
0
0
Hard...but he'll be too tired to go any good

From Westemeyer's Live Race report
13:45 CEST

Xavier Tondo of Cervelo TestTeam spoke to Cyclingnews' Daniel Benson this morning. “I drove myself down here. It was around 1,200 kilometres. My flights were cancelled but I live in Girona and there was no other option. I did the drive in two days, with a stop over at a hotel.
 

MikeyClark

BANNED
Apr 17, 2010
38
0
0
I think it's great that Thoughtforfood is so concerned that Wiggins competes in his training races in preperation for the TdF. He's clearly a big fan and just wants the best for Wiggins.

But I should think Wiggins himself will be more upset than you that he can't attend.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Ferdinand Artichoke said:
You are wrong
He is a hard man with cool hair

I KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE
Personally, I think the hair was the issue. It CANNOT be easy to get that messy, "just got out of bed look" perfect. I know it seems like all you have to do is wake up, but there really is a difference between what Wigans has and a junkies hair. Wigans needs products to achieve that Mod look, and you have to factor in at least an hour in front of a mirror just for the hair. Then, getting the ascot thing right takes even more time...and well, sometimes you have to make some sacrifices for fashion.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Ferdinand Artichoke said:
From Westemeyer's Live Race report
13:45 CEST

Xavier Tondo of Cervelo TestTeam spoke to Cyclingnews' Daniel Benson this morning. “I drove myself down here. It was around 1,200 kilometres. My flights were cancelled but I live in Girona and there was no other option. I did the drive in two days, with a stop over at a hotel.
MikeyClark said:
I think it's great that Thoughtforfood is so concerned that Wiggins competes in his training races in preperation for the TdF. He's clearly a big fan and just wants the best for Wiggins.

But I should think Wiggins himself will be more upset than you that he can't attend.
I'll let Ferdinands post hang out there for you. Wigans probably has some shopping to do today, I wonder how he will do that without a plane?
 
Feb 28, 2010
1,661
0
0
Dr. Maserati said:
Wiggans isn't in Madrid, he is in Girona.

Girona to Masstricht, 1258km in 11 hours 23 minutes on Google Map's.
I wasn't referring to Wiggins. Another poster mentioned going from Madrid to Maastricht, so that's what I input into the route-planner. I'm not a great Wiggins fan, I prefer Cavendish!!
 

MikeyClark

BANNED
Apr 17, 2010
38
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
I'll let Ferdinands post hang out there for you. Wigans probably has some shopping to do today, I wonder how he will do that without a plane?
Yeah I'm sure Wiggins has the same attitude "why can't we drive there?", but his coaches will have reminded him that it's not good for a GC Tour contender to be driving all over Europe to attend small races. This is not a big race for Wiggins - it's not worth compromising his build up.

Fans like you who are concerned for Wiggins need to stop worrying. He just needs to keep training up and wait for this thing to pass.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
MikeyClark said:
Yeah I'm sure Wiggins has the same attitude "why can't we drive there?", but his coaches will have reminded him that it's not good for a GC Tour contender to be driving all over Europe to attend small races. This is not a big race for Wiggins - it's not worth compromising his build up.

Fans like you who are concerned for Wiggins need to stop worrying. He just needs to keep training up and wait for this thing to pass.
...so he can come in 7th in the Tour....at best. Yea, great motivation to not race...:rolleyes:
 

MikeyClark

BANNED
Apr 17, 2010
38
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
...so he can come in 7th in the Tour....at best. Yea, great motivation to not race...:rolleyes:
Wiggins and his fans are such worriers.

I'm sure missing this one race won't ruin his preperation. You need to cut yourselves some slack. Stressing out won't help.
 
Feb 12, 2010
547
0
0
Wiggins is leaving tonight to travel up by car for Fleche Wallonne.

Probably hung on to see if the flights started again but they didn't.

Don't knw why you're all getting so up tight. He'd have only been acting as domestique for Gerrans anyway.
 
Jan 18, 2010
3,059
0
0
TFF can sleep easy in his bed now, but I do realise the the poor man was getting stressed so I feel for him.

Official News:- Wiggins will take part in the Fleche Wallonne.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
sublimit said:
TFF can sleep easy in his bed now, but I do realise the the poor man was getting stressed so I feel for him.

Official News:- Wiggins will take part in the Fleche Wallonne.
Well good for Wigans! Hopefully his hairdo will survive the ride. I sure would hate to see him have to start a race with flat, untossled hair...and I hope his ascots don't get too wrinkled because of the extra time spent in a suitcase.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hawkwood said:
According to the RAC Route Planner site Madrid to Maastricht is 1034.39 miles or 1664.69 km, and would take 15 hours 10 minutes in a car with no stops.
(slightly longer from Girona)

But thats a long way to drive with small children in the car. Brad was in spain with his family. He's is now driving to Fleche Walonne.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
TeamSkyFans said:
(slightly longer from Girona)

But thats a long way to drive with small children in the car. Brad was in spain with his family. He's is now driving to Fleche Walonne.
No, quite a bit shorter. Just over 1250km. Me and my family could do it with 30 minutes notice.
 

MikeyClark

BANNED
Apr 17, 2010
38
0
0
sublimit said:
TFF can sleep easy in his bed now, but I do realise the the poor man was getting stressed so I feel for him.

Official News:- Wiggins will take part in the Fleche Wallonne.
Hehe, nice one. Thoughtforfood can finally stop worrying.

For the record i don't want to see ThoughtForFood banned for this trolling thread. At the end of the day he is just having a bit of fun - it's not anything the mods should ban him for. It may seem pointless, but a bit of banter goes hand in hand with sport and can liven up a forum.

Just as long as he doesn't make a habit of trolling about a particular team or individual, he is okay in my book. I'm not going to cry about it.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
"Hesjedal was forced to drive 1,200 kilometres from Girona to Maastricht after Volcano Eyjafjallajökull forced the closure of most European airspace."

Hairdo cannot outdo his former teammate from Wigan...I mean Garmin? Sad state of affairs for Mr Ascot.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
MikeyClark said:
Hehe, nice one. Thoughtforfood can finally stop worrying.

For the record i don't want to see ThoughtForFood banned for this trolling thread. At the end of the day he is just having a bit of fun - it's not anything the mods should ban him for. It may seem pointless, but a bit of banter goes hand in hand with sport and can liven up a forum.

Just as long as he doesn't make a habit of trolling about a particular team or individual, he is okay in my book. I'm not going to cry about it.
Is that some sort of 'internet threat'? But I am heartened to see you have standards - that if someone is 'trolling' they should face the consequence's - what are your opinions on someone who keeps getting banned and keeps coming back?

As for TFF - don't worry, I think you should know at this stage BPC that his comments on BW in comparison to LA make him seem like a BW fan.
 

MikeyClark

BANNED
Apr 17, 2010
38
0
0
Dr. Maserati said:
Is that some sort of 'internet threat'? But I am heartened to see you have standards - that if someone is 'trolling' they should face the consequence's - what are your opinions on someone who keeps getting banned and keeps coming back?
He's been banned before and come back? I did not know that. I'm surprised he would be so open about starting trolling threads like this if that was the case. I guess the mods take a relaxed view like myself.

As for TFF - don't worry, I think you should know at this stage BPC that his comments on BW in comparison to LA make him seem like a BW fan.
You're saying he's a much worse troll on Armstrong related issues? If that's the case then maybe he should be banned. I take a relaxed view on Wiggins haircut and pretending he has made some terrible error by not immediately driving across Europe - that is just a bit of banter - but if he is persistently targeting riders and trying to provoke people then that crosses the line. It also sets a bad example - if he is allowed to do it then the moderators won't have a leg to stand on if they decide to ban other users for doing much less. It would make them look very hypocritical.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BlueRoads Professional Road Racing 525

ASK THE COMMUNITY