• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wigans to miss Amstel Gold....

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Notice Cunego going by himself on a team car and not in the mini bus with the rest of the team, by considering that in his Verona he got a nearby team mate (Pietropolli).

This confirm the rumors that he's not very loved among his team mates.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Funny how the #2 and #3 from last year are considered 'long-shots,' while Chris Horner, whose last (and only, as far as I can gather) participation was a 20th in 2006, is a big favorite.

Is that from CN's classics report? That was a bit of a joke!:D

Moondance said:
Funny how the #2 and #3 from last year are considered 'long-shots,' while Chris Horner, whose last (and only, as far as I can gather) participation was a 20th in 2006, is a big favorite.
I think this bit is by the same guy who wrote the Ardennes preview, naming Hesjedal and Barredo as outside favourites, while not mentioning Gesink at all. I guess he's just not a fan ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Just curious to find out how much he has been racing... How many races has he participated in, and which ones was he actually competitive?

The other day I also thought about Moreau... What has he been up to lately?

And as has been mentioned, Sastre has done what up till now?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
This surprises me, and yes I know all about the volcano. Seems to me there are other ways to get around in Europe. The rail system seems plenty fast and plenty cushy to me. Hell, a charter bus would get you there overnight and in comfort. I bet the guys without the big names and salaries make it to the line.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
This surprises me, and yes I know all about the volcano. Seems to me there are other ways to get around in Europe. The rail system seems plenty fast and plenty cushy to me. Hell, a charter bus would get you there overnight and in comfort. I bet the guys without the big names and salaries make it to the line.
The only problem with the rail system is that the French are on strike, which makes a train journey from Spain a fairly impossible ordeal.

As for a bus trip from Spain to the Netherlands. I have only one thing to say: don't....

Apart from that I don't know what kept them from hopping into a car and driving up. Some others, like Tomas Viatkus, apparently did just that....

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I will guess that there are a lot of complications to travel in Europe right now that all the experts here aren't taking into account.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Cosette said:
The only problem with the rail system is that the French are on strike, which makes a train journey from Spain a fairly impossible ordeal.

As for a bus trip from Spain to the Netherlands. I have only one thing to say: don't....

Apart from that I don't know what kept them from hopping into a car and driving up. Some others, like Tomas Viatkus, apparently did just that....

what is up with french transportation workers

A

Anonymous

9000ft said:
I will guess that there are a lot of complications to travel in Europe right now that all the experts here aren't taking into account.

Um, Leakygas is making the journey from Italy. I am guessing that your expertise in measurement and European traffic patterns would allow you to tell me why their 1250km journey is more difficult than would be Mr Wigans'. Cause, you got no point if others are making the journey...and they are.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
9000ft said:

Yeah, some of the experts here actually live in Europe. If Thomas Vaitkus can drive from the south of Spain, if even Oscar Freire paid enough attention to realise he wasn't going to get on a plane any time soon, if Liquigas and their two HTC friends can drive from the north of Italy... then Wiggo, Sastre, Valverde and LLSanchez could've gotten there if they really wanted to. It wouldn't have been easy or ideal, but they could've made it happen.

(Sure, Italy-Germany-Holland is an easier journey than Spain-France-Belgium-Holland, but the latter is not impossible)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Um, Leakygas is making the journey from Italy. I am guessing that your expertise in measurement and European traffic patterns would allow you to tell me why their 1250km journey is more difficult than would be Mr Wigans'. Cause, you got no point if others are making the journey...and they are.

He is in Spain...

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Nothing says fresh legs like a 1200k car ride. There probably won't be that much more traffic on the roads,seeing as all the airports are closed. You know how predictable volcanos are this thing will probably just dry up once the Icelandic gov sees the economic and cycling damage this stunt has pulled.

I'm surprised these guys didn't make the travel. With no guarantee that airports will be open again any time soon, surely it would have been wise to get teams to a base in the north with Fleche and LBL also coming up?

Pesky Volcano, we're due to fly to Brussels on Friday for LBL. Keeping everything crossed!

fatandfast said:
Nothing says fresh legs like a 1200k car ride. There probably won't be that much more traffic on the roads,seeing as all the airports are closed. You know how predictable volcanos are this thing will probably just dry up once the Icelandic gov sees the economic and cycling damage this stunt has pulled.

No problem for Wigans. He could hop on the team bus, set the mood lighting to refreshing rouge, and get to the race feeling better than when he left.

TRENDING THREADS