• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Small point but a cold can't turn to flu, it either is flu or isn't. you could catch both, but other people in the team have been sick apparently so they should know what it is by now.

If he's ill then he has been ill from the start, his demeanor hasn't changed all race.

If he really is ill I hope they are keeping him away from Uran.

I hope henao isn't ill. we will see this weekend

Ryo Hazuki said:
ah yes because kenya belongs to the british empire, talk about racism, nationalism, whatever :rolleyes:

No, because you seem to be unable to recognise, that people can migrate to another country and take that country's citizenship, you "nationalist, racist, whatever".

He is a British citizen, he is British, period. Nothing else to discuss here.

OnTheDrops

BANNED
May 16, 2013
Visit site
spalco said:
No, because you seem to be unable to recognise, that people can migrate to another country and take that country's citizenship, you "nationalist, racist, whatever".

Froome's parents are British but he grew up in Africa.

i don't see anything wrong with a team trying to promote a certain nationality. its not like they're the only team out there.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:

you realize he only took a british paspsort because the kenyan federation was a hell to work with right? not because he felt british :rolleyes:

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
OnTheDrops said:
Froome's parents are British but he grew up in Africa.

i don't see anything wrong with a team trying to promote a certain nationality. its not like they're the only team out there.

Only about a third of the team is British, bit rich (but typically british) to wave the flag and take the plaudits when the majority of the work has been done by others.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
you realize he only took a british paspsort because the kenyan federation was a hell to work with right? not because he felt british :rolleyes:
As I understand, he has always held two passports - what he has changed is his cycling license.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
As I understand, he has always held two passports - what he has changed is his cycling license.

I think i read somewhere (sorry can't find the link) that Froome took brit as his nationality because he wanted to have a better cycling career. He though his south african cycling would not taken him anywhere.

OnTheDrops

BANNED
May 16, 2013
Visit site
The Principal Sheep said:
Only about a third of the team is British, bit rich (but typically british) to wave the flag and take the plaudits when the majority of the work has been done by others.

its a team sport but you still have to have the talent to win GC. Wiggins has won most of his stage races with ITT performances.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
That is why being a brit and not a brit is hard to understand even the queen of britain is married to phil the greek of germania who technically is a brit. :D
Isn't the british royal family of german anciestry? For some reason they changed their name to Windsor around world war I ;-)

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The Principal Sheep said:
Which is why it's idiotic to try an 'promote a certain nationality'.

To be fair, I think you've all got this a bit back to front. The point of team sky is not to promote brits in cycling; it's to promote cycling in britain. And that's not the same thing. Anyone who watches pro football can understand that.

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Nationalism does nothing but teach you how to hate people you haven't even met and take pride in accomplishments you have no part in what so ever.:rolleyes:

Just enjoy cycling, cheer for the guys who makes it exciting and animates the races, not because they have the same passport as yourself.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Jelantik said:
I think i read somewhere (sorry can't find the link) that Froome took brit as his nationality because he wanted to have a better cycling career. He though his south african cycling would not taken him anywhere.
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/riders/2008/interviews/?id=chris_froome_nov08

"I did have a Kenya passport, but resigned it two years ago to ride for Britain. I was born with a British passport; I got a Kenya passport when I was about 18 to represent Kenya in the Commonwealth Games – that was not the way to go."

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
martinvickers said:
To be fair, I think you've all got this a bit back to front. The point of team sky is not to promote brits in cycling; it's to promote cycling in britain. And that's not the same thing. Anyone who watches pro football can understand that.

To be fair, the point of team SKY is to act as part of an overall brand recognition campaign for British Sky Broadcasting Group plc.