• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 120 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't know what Brad said - he usually says the 1st thing which enters his head, so generally don't take much notice - but it seems perfectly natural that Uran should be working for him still. Last I checked, he was the one with the glittering palmares, not the one with no major result to speak of. A few days ago, some were calling for Henao as leader. How would that have gone? Most importantly though, Sky aren't here to win a GT. They're here to win one with a Brit. The team's sponsor gets little exposure in their target market unless the latter happens. People would do well to remember that.

The Principal Sheep said:
There is no need seeking conflict where it does not hide, not a soul is comparing you to a fool or disparage between a rider who is liked or disliked modestly.

Wiggo has placed Uran in negative which serves no team a boon despite Uran enduring loyalty to the Sir leader in trouble. Rather than call Mayday Mayday riders of the same team should practice unity for strength lies within.

Very well stated. :)

King Of The Wolds said:
Most importantly though, Sky aren't here to win a GT. They're here to win one with a Brit. The team's sponsor gets little exposure in their target market unless the latter happens. People would do well to remember that.
Sky are in the Giro because they are seeking to increase their market share of Italian Pay TV. Italy is there target audience. They want to try and get the cycling coverage off RAI in the same way they took over Soccer in the UK.
Sky Italia just want publicity. If they wanted a Brit to win they don't show it in the make up of their team.

King Of The Wolds said:
Don't know what Brad said - he usually says the 1st thing which enters his head, so generally don't take much notice - but it seems perfectly natural that Uran should be working for him still. Last I checked, he was the one with the glittering palmares, not the one with no major result to speak of. A few days ago, some were calling for Henao as leader. How would that have gone? Most importantly though, Sky aren't here to win a GT. They're here to win one with a Brit. The team's sponsor gets little exposure in their target market unless the latter happens. People would do well to remember that.

The point being made (over and over again) is that it was not necessary for Wiggins to speak ill of Uran since Uran has already publicly stated his dedication/loyalty to his team leader and recognizes/accepts his role.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:

If Sky only want to win races with a Brit then they don't even deserve to be in the world tour. Sky's goal should be, and is, to win the Giro (I don't believe winning it with a Brit matters that much) and at the moment Uran is their best chance of doing that. At the very least if Wiggins really needs to still be leader than they should work for both of them.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Ryo is right on this. 3 years ago uran was working for the pink -arroyo but had a go in the kronplatz tt and came behind only Nibali basso Evans garzelli scarponi- 5/4 gt winners and Gadret. had he even turned 23 yet?

This tt is not as steep but its still uphill.

Wiggins that year went for the prologue, went for the final tt but didn't bother with the kronplatz so clearly his tt skills aren't as valuable in the mtt, especially since position doesn't matter that much. Its more his pure climbing power and perhaps ability to pace himself- though the rest of the gc guys are just as good at that, than the flat tt skills that won him eze and crans last year. He seems to have less of that power this year and at 6% rather than 4 this climb seems to be slightly more of a challenge.

On this form there is no reason to expect wiggins to put more time into uran in those 12or whatever km, than uran can get on say Tre cime. On this form anyway. If he really does have his 2012 form hidden under coa that's a different story.

To put uran down like that In the press though is a little cheap, and if what we've seen so far is his real form, a tad desperate

you are correct, but I would like to add that in a mountain itt position does matter, but it's a compleytely different position from regular itt. that is why guys like rujano, quintana and uran are in such advantage because have you ever seen a better climbing style than them? they sit very still, as if they aren't even forcing but just softpedalling. they are also very small, so less wind deduction

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:

watch out guys, we have a racist here

JRanton said:
What Wiggins said is actually true though (the comments about Uran being inconsistent), but yes, certainly you'd hope a teammate wouldn't express those words in public.

Yeah, Uran can be inconsistent, but to openly say it is VERY unprofessional and the only real benfit of saying it is to undermine Uran for Wiggins own benefit.

It's like Uran coming out and saying: 'Wiggins is the designated leader but he is clearly not in top shape and is afriad of descending in the wet.'

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
King Boonen said:
A) there is a massive difference and,

B) it isn't, it's a valid point. It may be wrong, but it's valid.

it doesn't need a valid point, because he's full of **** sky didn't come here to win gt's with brits. they alreayd stepped away from that ridiculous stamement after the first year. froome also isn't a brit

King Boonen said:
A) there is a massive difference and,

B) it isn't, it's a valid point. It may be wrong, but it's valid.

It is a valid point, but why be surprised when some raises an equally valid point about your valid point? Your comment DID cause me to raise my eyebrows, but I'm not sure what label I would place on them. Seems to me if Uran is your best bet to win, then that's who you ride for to win--but admittedly that is not 100% clear at this moment. Suggesting (apparently approvingly) that Sky would sacrifice its chance to win the Giro because it may not win with the Brit* doesn't sit well with me for a variety of reasons I can't properly articulate without thinking that its root is based in prejudice, nationalism or some other -ism.

*As I type this, the Brit is lurking at the back of the peloton because of the rain....

uphillstruggle said:
Yeah, Uran can be inconsistent, but to openly say it is VERY unprofessional and the only real benfit of saying it is to undermine Uran for Wiggins own benefit.

It's like Uran coming out and saying: 'Wiggins is the designated leader but he is clearly not in top shape and is afriad of descending in the wet.'

I think you've articulated the issue quite well. Quite well.

Publicus said:
It is a valid point, but why be surprised when some raises an equally valid point about your valid point? Your comment DID cause me to raise my eyebrows, but I'm not sure what label I would place on them. Seems to me if Uran is your best bet to win, then that's who you ride for to win--but admittedly that is not 100% clear at this moment. Suggesting (apparently approvingly) that Sky would sacrifice its chance to win the Giro because it may not win with the Brit* doesn't sit well with me for a variety of reasons I can't properly articulate without thinking that its root is based in prejudice, nationalism or some other -ism.

*As I type this, the Brit is lurking at the back of the peloton because of the rain....

It wasn't my comment.

As a cycling fan I'd prefer to see then ride for Uran at this point (or probably both) but Sky aren't in it for cycling reasons and it makes sense that they want a return on their investment and for a British audience a British winner will get more people taking notice.

Accusing the OP of racism is not valid, at all.

King Boonen said:
It wasn't my comment.

As a cycling fan I'd prefer to see then ride for Uran at this point (or probably both) but Sky aren't in it for cycling reasons and it makes sense that they want a return on their investment and for a British audience a British winner will get more people taking notice.

Accusing the OP of racism is not valid, at all.

Fair enough. Perhaps next time make clear you aren't endorsing (even implicitly) Sky's approach. Anywho, back to the race.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Ryo is right on this. 3 years ago uran was working for the pink -arroyo but had a go in the kronplatz tt and came behind only Nibali basso Evans garzelli scarponi- 5/4 gt winners and Gadret. had he even turned 23 yet?

This tt is not as steep but its still uphill.

Wiggins that year went for the prologue, went for the final tt but didn't bother with the kronplatz so clearly his tt skills aren't as valuable in the mtt, especially since position doesn't matter that much. Its more his pure climbing power and perhaps ability to pace himself- though the rest of the gc guys are just as good at that, than the flat tt skills that won him eze and crans last year. He seems to have less of that power this year and at 6% rather than 4 this climb seems to be slightly more of a challenge.

On this form there is no reason to expect wiggins to put more time into uran in those 12or whatever km, than uran can get on say Tre cime. On this form anyway. If he really does have his 2012 form hidden under coa that's a different story.

To put uran down like that In the press though is a little cheap, and if what we've seen so far is his real form, a tad desperate

i think the discussion of wiggins will be ahead of Uran in MTT, we'll be answered next week :D. Or maybe this weekend, if for some how, some what, uran get more time ahead of wiggins.

If wiggins is sick and the weather is getting bad, I think he might assess his chances after this weekend. If he looses time again due to his sickness, he might as well just DNF especially if the podium is out of his grab, to prep for the Tour. Getting cold shouldn't be taken it lightly. Once it turns to flue, it'll bed rest him for at least 2 weeks. That's game over for his TDF preparation. I still don't believe that Froome will be a sole leader (the way Brailsford say it: up until now Froome proves himself with his performance), and Brailsford doesn't say that Wiggins will be a super domestique either. Just some PR move to ease Froome and to avoid distraction for Wiggins.:D ow well at least for now. But i'm like all of you, just fans with speculation and enormous knowledge of nothing (since none of us riding for sky):p

OnTheDrops

BANNED
May 16, 2013
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:

This I think represents the situation very well. Wiggins has won nearly all the major stage races so of course should still be leader at this point.

OnTheDrops

BANNED
May 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
it doesn't need a valid point, because he's full of **** sky didn't come here to win gt's with brits. they alreayd stepped away from that ridiculous stamement after the first year. froome also isn't a brit

Chris Froome has a British passport.

Jelantik said:
i think the discussion of wiggins will be ahead of Uran in MTT, we'll be answered next week :D. Or maybe this weekend, if for some how, some what, uran get more time ahead of wiggins.

If wiggins is sick and the weather is getting bad, I think he might assess his chances after this weekend. If he looses time again due to his sickness, he might as well just DNF especially if the podium is out of his grab, to prep for the Tour. Getting cold shouldn't be taken it lightly. Once it turns to flu, it'll bed rest him for at least 2 weeks. That's game over for his TDF preparation. I still don't believe that Froome will be a sole leader (the way Brailsford say it: up until now Froome proves himself with his performance), and Brailsford doesn't say that Wiggins will be a super domestique either. Just some PR move to ease Froome and to avoid distraction for Wiggins.:D ow well at least for now. But i'm like all of you, just fans with speculation and enormous knowledge of nothing (since none of us riding for sky):p

Small point but a cold can't turn to flu, it either is flu or isn't. you could catch both, but other people in the team have been sick apparently so they should know what it is by now.

If he's ill then he has been ill from the start, his demeanor hasn't changed all race.

If he really is ill I hope they are keeping him away from Uran.