• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 170 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
sir fly said:
Despite Wiggo's latest showing, I don't think anything will change in Sky's approach to the Tour.
They only can be encouraged after the problems they've had earlier in the season, and look forward to the Tour knowing they have enough tactical options to make the race harder to opponents.
Wiggins should definitely ride the Tour with the GC in his mind.

With Froome at the Tour I think Sky will go with Froome for the GC. He is younger, obviously more adept than Wiggins in the mountains (2012 Tour showed this best) and not a bad TT rider whereas I think Wiggins struggles when put in a domestique role.

I would love to be wrong though, love seeing Wiggins ride so well in the ToC and would rather see him as the GC contender going into the Tour than Froome.

Angliru said:
Was Wiggins underestimating his rivals by riding for 10 km's on the front in the leader's jersey? One has to wonder what would've been the result had he let some other team or rider take the front and simply ridden tempo while in the pack, only increasing to respond to attacks when he saw fit. It seems to me he would have had more left to possibly win the stage and pad his lead over his rivals. As a result of his epic 10 km dragging of the peloton he lost time to some and didn't win the stage. Maybe winning the ITT, the leader's jersey and still retaining it after Mt. Diablo was good enough. It seemed to me to be more of a training exercise to display his ability to act as lieutenant to Froome on the mountains in the Tour.

He's just training. He doesn't care about the result. I don't know what other conclusion one could reach given his "tactics" yesterday.

red_flanders said:
He's just training. He doesn't care about the result. I don't know what other conclusion one could reach given his "tactics" yesterday.

Just training? The Wiggo arrogance of 2012 is returning? Well its good he had his "$%se" handed to him on a decent climb by young upstart Dennis using good tactics. Anyhow, In 2012 Wiggins won virtually every week long race in the lead up to the TDF. So on that basis he is not at the same level in 2014 - not yet anyway.

Pricey_sky said:
I agree he won't be a threat to Froome, although he hardly struggled yesterday did he? Nearly 10k at the front while others got a free ride. Closed down 2 attacks himself too, he will be a very useful weapon for Froome.

It wasn't "nearly 10k at the front" unless you're rounding off 6.5 km to 10 km. I agree that he will be a useful weapon provided Froome doesn't exercise his influence to keep him off the squad for his own piece of mind. It is impressive though to go from battling the elite at PR to climbing with the gc contenders at week long stage race.

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I myself am not a Wiggins fan, But I hope he's on the tour team because it will make the race more interesting! I also feel that sky wants him there if he is in top form as co-leader just in case.

Shortsighted of Sky seeing as they're up against far superior opposition this year.

Surely the other teams have worked out ways to counter Sky's usual tactics by now.

Wiggins as co leader or backup to keep them guessing as to what's going on.

elfed68 said:
Shortsighted of Sky seeing as they're up against far superior opposition this year.

Surely the other teams have worked out ways to counter Sky's usual tactics by now.

Based on their history, I don't think Froome would be too happy with Wiggins being given co-leader status for the Tour. It would be great entertainment for the fans but it would do nothing for the cohesive nature of their team, IMO.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:

Wiggins said the right thing for his own sake. Once he got selected, I don't believe he is going to empty his tank completely for Froome just in case he has a chance. Well, look back at 2012, while Froome was singing about riding for wiggins, he did try to drop him in the mountain anyway.

I think, he will make it to the team. Why? because he is former TDF winner, and the tour start in Britain. Brit's love to have their first TDF winner lines up for their home soil. It's good for SKY PR. And beside, it's not like his form is so bad. He is not super but he is not as bad as Porte so far. He'll make the team, guarantee. Anything said in the paper is just for attention and PR purposes. (create suspense, would he make it, would he not? gripping suspense!). All just pure PR. If he can make it to their classic team, he can make it to their TDF team. Especially when most of them are hampered by illness, injury and fatique.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
SaxonUK said:
I would love to be wrong though, love seeing Wiggins ride so well in the ToC and would rather see him as the GC contender going into the Tour than Froome.

are u crazy????? Wiggins is NO where close to Froome's level. And I'm not even a fan of either of them. Cobble stage? well, it's going to be about luck there. And ITT? sure. But the mountains? is he going to ride like the way he rides in california? Even he got his a-ssre handed by Rohan freakin' Denis. I don't even know where Rohan is sitting as compare to the climbers in the world. Top 20?

And against the roaring contador and superb valverde who have been performing all season? + throw Nibali on the mix (hoping he'll get his form pretty soon). And God knows if Purito decides to take TDF. In my eyes, Froome is the MAN for the sky.

and to be quite honest, I'm looking forward to see if Rohan freakin' Denis can rob the yellow jersey in the mountain from Wiggins, :D for pure entertainment. Just like how Nibali robbed Froome from winning 2013 TA. That would be comical. A 2012 TDF winner get his a-ssre kicked by a kid name Rohan freakin' Denis. Priceless! :D Go Rohan!

elfed68 said:

There's nothing to work out about Sky's "tactics". It involves having a team and leader(s) who are stronger than everyone else and hammering on the front 'till no one is left.

No one can counter this "tactic" if they're not stronger than Sky's leaders. If they are, all they have to do is sit on Sky's leader's wheel and treat him like the last domestique.

Good luck.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
Was Wiggins underestimating his rivals by riding for 10 km's on the front in the leader's jersey? One has to wonder what would've been the result had he let some other team or rider take the front and simply ridden tempo while in the pack, only increasing to respond to attacks when he saw fit. It seems to me he would have had more left to possibly win the stage and pad his lead over his rivals. As a result of his epic 10 km dragging of the peloton he lost time to some and didn't win the stage. Maybe winning the ITT, the leader's jersey and still retaining it after Mt. Diablo was good enough. It seemed to me to be more of a training exercise to display his ability to act as lieutenant to Froome on the mountains in the Tour.

It was display of power, sure, but to prove that he can be (just) domestique? Hmm...

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
red_flanders said:
There's nothing to work out about Sky's "tactics". It involves having a team and leader(s) who are stronger than everyone else and hammering on the front 'till no one is left.

No one can counter this "tactic" if they're not stronger than Sky's leaders. If they are, all they have to do is sit on Sky's leader's wheel and treat him like the last domestique.

Good luck.

Yes, and this year there will be a certain Spaniard waiting behind Froome !.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Who would you buy?

Seeing as this is a Wiggins thread, I can't resist, although it was not what I was getting at.

Who would I buy ?. The strongest rider in the World and tell him he must not beat me. Lol. Just playing