• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 217 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

SeriousSam said:
(non-social) enjoyment derived from following sports can be broken down into interest in the competition itself, seeing your guy win and seeing the guy you don't like lose, for everyone. For me, the most important sources of entertainment are the first factor and the last. That's not particularly unusual though it does perhaps mark me as a somewhat negative individual.
-

Remarkably, the bookies actually have him as the second most likely rider to win PR behind only Kristoff. Hilarious. Must be the result of oh so many Brits backing Brad.

I understand the concept, I just think it's sad that it's a highlight of your year that's all, although I've always preferred to celebrate the winners and maybe I don't fully get it as I've never really followed sports teams or individuals much, I just like the event.

I'm sure it's due to people backing him or the expectation of people backing him. I personally doubt he'll win, but I suppose with PR he's as good a horse to back as any. He certainly has the talent and he's shown that when he really puts his mind to something and he wants he he usually does it. You can never account for the unforeseeables in PR, but lets just say I probably wouldn't bet much money against him doing well.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
-
Remarkably, the bookies actually have him as the second most likely rider to win PR behind only Kristoff. Hilarious. Must be the result of oh so many Brits backing Brad.

Id probably say it's more just the bookies covering themselves incase there is A wave of money over the weekend. Most Brits who are regular cycling viewers would not be betting on Wiggins, and most who are only part-time viewers won't be bothered about a bet on the race, especially on grand national weekend.

A man on a mission:

9g917p.jpg

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

MatParker117 said:
No matter what happens on Sunday he has to go down as a legend in the sport and the man who helped who helped introduce a nation at large to the sport we call cycling. Thanks for everything Wiggo.

I think you mean Lance Armstrong who introduced the sport to a world wide audience .....Wiggo is a legend only in his own mind. The worse tour winner ever.

Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
MatParker117 said:
No matter what happens on Sunday he has to go down as a legend in the sport and the man who helped who helped introduce a nation at large to the sport we call cycling. Thanks for everything Wiggo.

I think you mean Lance Armstrong who introduced the sport to a world wide audience .....Wiggo is a legend only in his own mind. The worse tour winner ever.

But still a Tour winner whatever your thoughts.
Just imaging how many pro riders past and present would love to be known by forum trolls as the worst tour winner ever, a very high percentage I'm guessing.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

elfed68 said:
ray j willings said:
MatParker117 said:

But still a Tour winner whatever your thoughts.
Just imaging how many pro riders past and present would love to be known by forum trolls as the worst tour winner ever, a very high percentage I'm guessing.

That win has never sat right with him as recent comments prove. He knows Froome was better and he knows there was no real competition that year. He has never won a GT since or got near it. An in form Nibs destroyed him at the Giro, Wiggo gave up and went home.
Contador always fights even in defeat. That is a true champion. Even Armstrong gave it everything when getting his ass whipped . Remember him full gas through the cobbles alone. Wiggo would have abandoned or soft peddled .....

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
He hated the fact that deep down, he knew it was nothing but team orders that gave him the win. The Dawg was stronger, even on a course that was tailor made for Sir Brad.

Excellent trolling from Froome btw. We'll always have Paris, lol'd. .

Re:

SeriousSam said:
He hated the fact that deep down, he knew it was nothing but team orders that gave him the win. The Dawg was stronger, even on a course that was tailor made for Sir Brad.

Excellent trolling from Froome btw. We'll always have Paris, lol'd. .

Come on,Froome even if let lose wouldn't have won that TDF.On that course it was impossible,Wiggins win it fair and square.The Vuelta,now that's another story ,there Froome lost it because of team orders.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

MatParker117 said:

Let's not forget that he won a tour when he wasn't even the strongest on his team though. And the best GC rider at that moment was banned.

Miburo said:
MatParker117 said:

Let's not forget that he won a tour when he wasn't even the strongest on his team though. And the best GC rider at that moment was banned.

Strongest climber maybe, but that's all.

Bradley Wiggins is a champion (road and track) and no matter the circumstances a Tour de France winner

Contador was banned for cheating ....are you forgetting that little point...how convenient

Slagging off Wiggins, a clean rider who made the very best of his talent and idolizing a cheat ...typical cycling hypocracy

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Bradley Wiggins is a champion (road and track) and no matter the circumstances a Tour de France winner

Contador was banned for cheating ....are you forgetting that little point...how convenient

Slagging off Wiggins, a clean rider who made the very best of his talent and idolizing a cheat ...typical cycling hypocracy

Highly speculative claims like that Wiggins may have been clean need be kept out of the road racing forum. Go to the clinic, there is a thread there for Sir Brad.

TMP402 said:
The argument against wiggins that the best rider(s) weren't there is the same as the case against Nibali, but most people tend to accept him as a legit winner.
There are sound arguments as to why Nibali's win is somewhat devalued, but the situations aren't entirely analogous, because a better rider was present at the 2012 Tour. The one who could have soloed off like Armstrong but had to pace Brad up every mountain. This is obviously speculation on my part, but the knowledge that Froome would have annihilated him had Brailsy allowed it is probably gnawing away at Brad.

Re:

TMP402 said:
The argument against wiggins that the best rider(s) weren't there is the same as the case against Nibali, but most people tend to accept him as a legit winner.

Of course, a legit winner against the remaining contenders, different story had Froome and AC not been injured.