• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You didn't think that through did you ? Froome worked for wiggins last year on the promise that he gets this year. If wiggins decided to do the same this year he'd have no reason to work for him.

where did that come from? your thumb?

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering, what races will Wiggins do as pre-Giro 2013 warm up? Cos in theory he won't be able to repeat the same kind of stage race build up that he had this year. Tirreno Adriatico and the Volta Agarve seem likely, but will he be tempted to have a crack at Paris Roubaix (which wouldn't be that useful as clibing training)?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Hitch sound's a bit like one of Coondog's tweets ;)

There have been some formal deal brokered between on the last year's Tour but Wiggins is still the senior figure. The decision will be a pragmatic one, not an emotive one, based on who the team management think has best chance of winning either GT and the personal ambitions of the rider.

It seems to be a moot point anyway, as Wiggins has said he sees the TdF as the Olympics, something to be aimed for every few years rather than every year. He seems happy with his one win and wants to add the Giro to his palmeres, and the route this year suits him in the Giro and not in the Tour. Froome has said he wants to lead in the Tour, and Bradley has said he will ride in support of him. That might leave the Vuelta for Uran or JTL.

Someone elsewhere said it was a good shout for Brad as he will get the pick of the domestiques, and it seems unlikely Sky will have such a regimented training regime all geared towards success in the Tour as they did last year.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
the vuelta will be for uran and henao, not jtl

Too soon for Henao methink. And JTL was leader in the British world's team so Brailsford obviously rates him, although he may have been bought in for a tilt at the hilly classics

BlenJones2 said:
Just wondering, what races will Wiggins do as pre-Giro 2013 warm up? Cos in theory he won't be able to repeat the same kind of stage race build up that he had this year. Tirreno Adriatico and the Volta Agarve seem likely, but will he be tempted to have a crack at Paris Roubaix (which wouldn't be that useful as clibing training)?

Same as last year probably. Although maybe Trentino instead of Romandie.

Ryo Hazuki said:
the vuelta will be for uran and henao, not jtl

haha JTL over henao and uran for a GT, one of the most hilarious things i have heard on this forum.

JimmyFingers said:
Too soon for Henao methink. And JTL was leader in the British world's team so Brailsford obviously rates him, although he may have been bought in for a tilt at the hilly classics

ya too soon for henao indeed, JTL with his many GT's worth of experience will be the one leading the vuelta.

has JTL ever raced an actual cat 1 climb in his life before? jesus the hype is unbearable

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:

henao has said in interview he will be leading a gt with uran. the other 2 go to froome and wiggins. henao will be more leader as uran isn't suited to it imo. and tiernan locke has never even done a gt and has a lot of talent but nowhere near henao's

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
haha JTL over henao and uran for a GT, one of the most hilarious things i have heard on this forum.

ya too soon for henao indeed, JTL with his many GT's worth of experience will be the one leading the vuelta.

has JTL ever raced an actual cat 1 climb in his life before? jesus the hype is unbearable

The guy has the talent and is riding races with less than brilliant domestiques apart from the Worlds RR. I reckon he should do well in the Ardennes, 1 week stage races without ITT's. GT's perhaps a couple of years or so.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
henao has said in interview he will be leading a gt with uran. the other 2 go to froome and wiggins. henao will be more leader as uran isn't suited to it imo. and tiernan locke has never even done a gt and has a lot of talent but nowhere near henao's

Well they do come in a pair, however I would think jiont leadership is dangerous: will they make a decision on leader after a week, see who looks the strongest and best placed in the GC.

And yes JTL is untried at this level, as I said I think Brailsford will unleash him early season and see how he goes. Since it will be early season he may be at the Vuelta, unless he gets deployed as a domestique in either of the other ones

Parrulo said:

He'll probably get ill again, or be a flop

But please allow us Brits a little bit of hyperbole. He could be the first pure climber we've produced since Robert Millar.

postmanhat said:
He'll probably get ill again, or be a flop

But please allow us Brits a little bit of hyperbole. He could be the first pure climber we've produced since Robert Millar.

Why? No other posters from any other country actually really put their Nationality on the line here. If the Brits were to stop half of the glib, and often inferred superiority posts, things would be a lot smoother on here and the clinic.

I've lost count of the number of posts that include 'as a Brit....'. And I don't think I've ever seen a poster include 'as a Belgian/Italian/German etc'.

ferryman said:
Why? No other posters from any other country actually really put their Nationality on the line here. If the Brits were to stop half of the glib, and often inferred superiority posts, things would be a lot smoother on here and the clinic.

I've lost count of the number of posts that include 'as a Brit....'. And I don't think I've ever seen a poster include 'as a Belgian/Italian/German etc'.

It was relevant here I think, as probably all the hype the op was referring to, comes from Britain. Was just trying to explain why.

Apologies if old news.

Alex Dowsett has left Sky for Movistar. Sky wanted him to stay apparently, but he obviously feels his chances of progressing lie elsewhere at the moment which is a shame. Or maybe he just fancied a bit of sun

Pointless, pub quiz question. Is Dowsett the first UK rider on a Spanish team?

postmanhat said:
Apologies if old news.

Alex Dowsett has left Sky for Movistar. Sky wanted him to stay apparently, but he obviously feels his chances of progressing lie elsewhere at the moment which is a shame. Or maybe he just fancied a bit of sun

Pointless, pub quiz question. Is Dowsett the first UK rider on a Spanish team?

Well there's Jez Hunt for one, David Millar as well. Malcolm Elliott as well I think

ferryman said:

Nothing wrong in being proud of where you come from. Proud to be a Brit and proud of the success of our little island in all sports this year not just cycling. We continue to punch well above our weight.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
No. For one, Jeremy Hunt also rode for "Movistar"/Banesto (as the UK national champion, no less; needless to say, the design of his jersey was horrible).

I fear what Dowsett's TT champs skinsuit is going to look like.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Nothing wrong in being proud of where you come from. Proud to be a Brit and proud of the success of our little island in all sports this year not just cycling. We continue to punch well above our weight.

Britain spends copious amounts of money and has a population of 60 million. They do about as well as they should do at sport. Don't let your recent history of under performing fool you.