• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 214 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

bigcog said:
DFA123 said:
samhocking said:
My biggest doubt is that Sky and Wiggins will be able to think on their feet in the race. Thomas seems to have pretty good race intuition at the moment, so I hope he will be allowed to use it to make a break if he feels good, and not have to play second fiddle to Wiggins.

Thomas will probably work for Wiggins, no way will Wiggins work for Thomas. This is his last chance to win something big in road racing, it just won't happen. We've already had a puff piece yesterday in the Guardian saying how much he loves the race, presumably from his PR company, just to add to the 'pressure' on others to get with the program...

All true, but for once I think Sky will be happy. "Brand Wiggins" is huge for Sky. They even managed to get huge coverage for the Tour of California last year in UK media outlets that normally don't even cover the likes of LBL.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong it would be nice to see Wiggo nail PR. However if on the day Stannard and Thomas are on the money then Knaven needs go be careful not to let the ego of one man looking for his last hurrah jeopardise the team nailing a monument.

I don't think he will IMO PR has Yogi's name written all over it - especially if the weather is bad.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

DFA123 said:
samhocking said:
If I was Knaven I would use up Rowe & Stannard very early and let Wiggins go from about an hour away from the finish. .

That sounds like a good plan.

Sounds like a bad plan. PR is a race made for Stannard & his physique (who has nailed a couple of semi-classics, and revels in bad conditions) so why waste him early on riding for a guy who has never won a cobbled race (Wiggins). Sky need to be very careful not to kill themselves "ego riding" on the front for the whole race and giving other teams an armchair ride to the finish.

They need to keep Wiggins, Thomas and Stannard in the front for as long as possible and then let the three of them smash it up with an hour to go, blast everyone away with constant high pace and fight it out between them at the end. Mapei style.

Only person I think can handle this is of course Luca P that sits/fits nicely behind GT's or BW's rear wheel at the moment QS think tad too much. And I think Paolini could handle that ride well considering how he flew on MSR. So QS reels them back just before the finish line and ooops Kristoff :D

DBotero said:
Beard power :)
a9muki.jpg

Welcome to the age of A W E S O M E N E S S.
:cool:

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a beard "pre twiggo" thingy and I hate the fact that twiggo has one. I hate him and I can only wish for rain and winds so he will abandon and throw a massive toy out of the pram. Did I mention I hate sky as well :D

Re:

ray j willings said:
I have a beard "pre twiggo" thingy and I hate the fact that twiggo has one. I hate him and I can only wish for rain and winds so he will abandon and throw a massive toy out of the pram. Did I mention I hate sky as well :D

Perhaps you should go see someone with this problem...

Sky have ditched Wiggins in the past when it has suited them, I think they'll allow Thomas and Wiggins to ride for themselves and to be fair, they should want both of them in the select group. It's likely QS will have at least two guys there and probably Katusha too.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

del1962 said:
ray j willings said:

Hope Wiggo wins P-R, just to upset trolls like you would be enough reason

Get a good nights sleep, god bless

TRENDING THREADS