• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 236 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ur-de-france-winner-homeless-after-bankruptcy
"I just hope that instead of judgment people can show compassion," continues Wiggins' ex-wife, imploring those in the cycling community to think of the legendary figure in British cycling's mental well being before passing any comments online. "My primary concern was, and is always, if he's going to be all right, and that's not weird or difficult from my perspective. Whatever has happened he's the father of my children. He's also had a hell of a lot to have to come to terms with and it's a shame he's not had the chance to do that in peace. He's had to live such a lot of his life under intense public scrutiny and that takes its toll."
Cath also doesn't fully blame Wiggins for his own predicament. "I'm not going to name names. But people took advantage. And Bradley was very generous. He was never that interested in money," she concludes.
Original article at https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-home-insists-love-Bradley-just-vanished.html
(behind a paywall)
with the interesting headline of, "He dumped her by Twitter and had a child by another woman"!

• Wow
Reactions: noob
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ur-de-france-winner-homeless-after-bankruptcy

Original article at https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-home-insists-love-Bradley-just-vanished.html
(behind a paywall)
with the interesting headline of, "He dumped her by Twitter and had a child by another woman"!

It's just a filter, a perspective. Becoming a multi millionaire, fame and praise from around the world for being an elite athlete. I am not going to accept the angle that he is a victim. I know people with money that enables them not to work, ever, and enough that dozens around them don't need to work, know others who are dirt poor, all have battles with drugs,alcohol and depression. Wiggins is hardly a victim.
Show me a guy who can't handle fame and fortune, crashes and burns, I will show you 100,000 men that crashed and burned on a borrowed dollar.

its difficult to feel sympathy for him because he was absolutely set with riches beyond the imaginings of any of us, and appears to have just thrown it all way.

but I can empathise with the fact he was faced with a whole heap of unimaginable pressure and decisions or choices, he was in no way ever prepared or capable of handling for himself, and his "employer" at the time, should have shown more duty of care to help or even protect him, almost from himself, from making certain bad life choices.

and instead they basically just chucked him on the scrap heap when they were done with him, as they did quite a lot of other riders from the same era, some who have coped better than others with that sudden change in circumstances, but there are alot I would say still with mental scars from their experiences of that era

theres winning, and theres winning regardless of the cost it has on the people you are putting through it, and I think BC/Sky were guilty of far too much of the latter, than the former back then.

Reactions: sevenall
its difficult to feel sympathy for him because he was absolutely set with riches beyond the imaginings of any of us, and appears to have just thrown it all way.

but I can empathise with the fact he was faced with a whole heap of unimaginable pressure and decisions or choices, he was in no way ever prepared or capable of handling for himself, and his "employer" at the time, should have shown more duty of care to help or even protect him, almost from himself, from making certain bad life choices.

and instead they basically just chucked him on the scrap heap when they were done with him, as they did quite a lot of other riders from the same era, some who have coped better than others with that sudden change in circumstances, but there are alot I would say still with mental scars from their experiences of that era

theres winning, and theres winning regardless of the cost it has on the people you are putting through it, and I think BC/Sky were guilty of far too much of the latter, than the former back then.
Cycling teams still does, no? I don't feel like that principle has changed overall?

Brad has said that Lance was his hero as a teenager so it's possible. Lance though knows that cycling is his income source, but Brad seems to want to forget about cycling and it's "dark memories" for him.

his own career memories, yes. but Brad is one of the most knowledgeable and passionate about cycling's recent history, from Hinault to Miguel and Lance. he has nothing to lose, he could well hook up with Lance and try to make some money. Wiggins' haters already hate and despise him since more than ten years, so no love lost there

• Wow
Reactions: noob
If Bradley Wiggins is an alcoholic, there's nothing anyone can do to help him. Every olive branch his friends offer will turn to sh*t. He needs to clean himself up before then taking any positive steps. And that will take a long time (we're talking years to get over heavy addictions like that, i.e. mentally & physically).

This sounds like cheap armchair psychology & a total cliché but it's the truth. Wiggins has one thing to work with: His name. He's a bike champion & TdF winner.

But if he irreparably frazzled his brain with booze (& even worse won't quit), he's screwed.

• Sad
Reactions: noob and pastronef