• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Contador help Armstrong on Ventoux?

Armstrong has said that failing to ever win on Ventoux is one of the reasons he came out of retirement. Less than 2 days from now is his opportunity.

John Wilcockson tweet today: "Hats off to Contador on his remarkable TT win. It's his most emphatic performance yet in any grand tour. Now he has to help LA on Ventoux."

Can Armstrong beat the Schlecks on Ventoux? Perhaps with Contador's help?

Will Contador help Armstrong achieve his goal and maintain a steady pace for him at Lance's tempo up Ventoux to allow him to win the stage, keep him on the podium, or maybe (unlikely) even hop up onto the second rung?

Should AC help LA? Why or why not?
Will he? Why or why not?

Why not help Klodi too or instead? Well, he's a little further back, and Ventoux has never been a goal of his, AFAIK. Yes?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Contador will not pace Armstrong up the mountain. Why should he? Contador will ride tempo behind Kloden and Popo until the Schlecks attack, then he will follow their attacks until the last 2km where he will stomp away and take the stage by 0:20 or so. One final stamp on the Tour that he has dominated.

If Armstrong can follow him all the way up and then take him at the line, he'll win the stage. Otherwise, no.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Jayarbie said:
Contador will not pace Armstrong up the mountain. Why should he? Contador will ride tempo behind Kloden and Popo until the Schlecks attack, then he will follow their attacks until the last 2km where he will stomp away and take the stage by 0:20 or so. One final stamp on the Tour that he has dominated.

If Armstrong can follow him all the way up and then take him at the line, he'll win the stage. Otherwise, no.

+1.... no way he helps Armstrong. I see it like this. Frank will attack the group to try to get onto the podium. Andy will go with him to help. AC will go with Andy to cover him. Everyone else will get left behind.

I REALLY don't think AC thinks he owes LA anything......

Cobber said:
+1.... no way he helps Armstrong. I see it like this. Frank will attack the group to try to get onto the podium. Andy will go with him to help. AC will go with Andy to cover him. Everyone else will get left behind.

I REALLY don't think AC thinks he owes LA anything......
Apparently he realizes he screwed up with Klodi the other day, or at least realizes he needs to act like he believes he screwed up, and helping LA might help make up for that.

At this point the "I wanted to put time into Wiggins" excuse is not going to fly.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Armstrong has said that failing to ever win on Ventoux is one of the reasons he came out of retirement. Less than 2 days from now is his opportunity.

John Wilcockson tweet today: "Hats off to Contador on his remarkable TT win. It's his most emphatic performance yet in any grand tour. Now he has to help LA on Ventoux."

Can Armstrong beat the Schlecks on Ventoux? Perhaps with Contador's help?

Will Contador help Armstrong achieve his goal and maintain a steady pace for him at Lance's tempo up Ventoux to allow him to win the stage, keep him on the podium, or maybe (unlikely) even hop up onto the second rung?

Should AC help LA? Why or why not?
Will he? Why or why not?

Why not help Klodi too or instead? Well, he's a little further back, and Ventoux has never been a goal of his, AFAIK. Yes?

no, contador will sit on andy's wheel then launch a late attack and win on mount ventoux.

he doesnt owe lance jack ****.

Futuroscope said:
no, contador will sit on andy's wheel then launch a late attack and win on mount ventoux.
Only if he's a complete idiot (which I'm unable to rule out). Totally unnecessary. Mission is accomplished. Now they can focus on secondary goals, like getting others on the podium.

Latest Wilcockson tweet:

"To all those who asked, AC has to be team player on Ventoux if he wants to gain stature in the peloton and in the media. We'll see Saturday."

Maybe he's figured this out, maybe not. Many of you obviously have not.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Only if he's a complete idiot. Totally unnecessary. Mission is accomplished. Now they can focus on secondary goals, like getting others on the podium.

dont agree. contador wants to win on mount ventoux..im sure of it. he def doesnt need to make any early attacks but he will just ride andy's wheel and finish with a late attack.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Latest Wilcockson tweet:

"To all those who asked, AC has to be team player on Ventoux if he wants to gain stature in the peloton and in the media. We'll see Saturday."

Man, the yellow jersey for the most number of stupid threads (number and quality)..goes to you :D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Latest Wilcockson tweet:

This is absolutely ridiculous. Is this guy on the Livestrong payroll, too?

A

Anonymous

Ninety5rpm said:
Latest Wilcockson tweet:

The people in the "Media" that think what you suggest are predominately English speakers, and Lance and Johan. Other than that, most people realize the media games the Bobsy Twins are playing and know that they have done nothing but undermine Contador since November.

Only people like you have not figured this out.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Jayarbie said:
This is absolutely ridiculous. Is this guy on the Livestrong payroll, too?

Who ninety5rpm or Wilcockson?

Seriously though .... Contador - is he not the guy who has the yellow jersey?
If Conti want to make 'amends' to Kloden, then sure - try and put Kloden in the position for thestage win. However I dont think that outcome would please Mr. Wilcockson (or 'ninety') though.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
First, there are no gifts in the tour! If LA wants to win on Ventoux he needs to show he can. AC is going to be busy with the Schlecks.

Second, I think LA has treated AC like crap since joining Astana and certainly during this tour. LA has not been a team player, why does AC owe him anything!?

Dr. Maserati said:
Who ninety5rpm or Wilcockson?

Seriously though .... Contador - is he not the guy who has the yellow jersey?
If Conti want to make 'amends' to Kloden, then sure - try and put Kloden in the position for thestage win. However I dont think that outcome would please Mr. Wilcockson (or 'ninety') though.

Good point. Why would helping Armstrong (who has done NOTHING for Contador outside the TTT) make up for the supposed slight to Kloden? I don't want to sound mean, 95, but really? Why didn't Armstrong pace Heras up a climb after he had yellow by a few minutes so Heras could win a stage? B/c he was the team leader. When he gained time, it was never at the expense of his team but a positive for the team (even though he gained time on his teammates, too).

Astana did not come to win the yellow numbers or sweep the podium; they came to win the Tour. And they're doing that, right now, in the person of Contador. So wouldn't it make more sense for Armstrong to ride for him?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Some of you guys are not understanding the thread title. The thread title says "will contador help LA on Ventoux" NOT "Will Contador gift LA the stage win on Ventoux." Another example of the many on this forum not paying attention to what they are reading and saying.

AC has a 4 minute lead. He won the TT as the Yellow Jersey should do and prove himself as a great champion. To not help any of his teamates would only damage his reputation.

With that being said, Kloden is the stronger rider out of Wiggins and LA. Probably equal to F Schleck. I see Kloden taking the 3rd podium spot and I see AC helping him do it. He owes him anyway. AC has the perfect opportunity to HELP ANDREAS KLODEN. I just hope his inability to understand race tactics doesnt get in the way.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Wilcockson has a man-crush on Lance and has for a while, of course he is going to say AC should help Lance. He probably thinks that the entire peloton should gift the stage to Lance.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
this is a complete farce.......we have gone from "the 2008 tour was a joke" to "contador has made his point now he must help Lance" what a farking joke.

Armstrong must now eat the humble pie and put himself at ACs disposal. The selfish big talker is owed NOTHING.

Ninety5rpm said:
Apparently he realizes he screwed up with Klodi the other day, or at least realizes he needs to act like he believes he screwed up, and helping LA might help make up for that.

At this point the "I wanted to put time into Wiggins" excuse is not going to fly.

I think the question is will Armstrong serve as his domestique or put his own podium ambitions first.

Ninety5rpm said:
Only if he's a complete idiot (which I'm unable to rule out). Totally unnecessary. Mission is accomplished. Now they can focus on secondary goals, like getting others on the podium.

Why would he be a complete idiot for marking the one guy who could make up time on him? Hell Lance can't drop Wiggins but somehow you think he's going to win at Ventoux. But Contador is an idiot for marking his closest rival.

Publicus said:
I think the question is will Armstrong serve as his domestique or put his own podium ambitions first.

Remember when FLandis did too well in a time trial? Bruyneel and Armstrong chewed him out for wasting energy that could be used for supporting Armstrong in the mountains. Does anyone think that Bruyneel was screaming at Lance after the time trial?

TRENDING THREADS